"Tragically Flawed"

Help ID- Dean Scout or Colonel?

If this belongs on another forum, please let me know.

I'm looking at a Dean hardtail frame, but there is some question as to whether it's a Colonel or a Scout.

The seller was ethical enough to tell me that the decals had been re-done by the previous owner. Not sure why he even mentioned any doubt as to which model it is. Current decals are Colonel. It looks like a smaller frame he has that is a confirmed Colonel- same dropouts, same curved stays.

Any easy way to tell which is which? The serial number on the frame in question begins with "IHS19***". I have an earlier Scout that begins with "D21***"; not much help there.

Thanks for whatever help you can offer, or any links you can point me to. It's a beautiful frame and I'll probably buy it, but I'd like to know definitely what it is.

mtbr member
    if you have the serial number you could always email John at DEAN and he might be able to give you its age and model

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    if it's a recent frame..2003/4 onwards, colonels have replaceable hanger, scouts never did.

also weight would be a good indicator, scouts would typically be 200~300 grams heavier than colonels

hope that helps. that said, serial number check with Dean is still the best
    Last edited by sparst; 01-22-2009 at 10:00 AM.

"Tragically Flawed"
    Thanks for the tips, guys.

I have e-mailed Dean and left a call, also.

But from what I have read on the forums here, I may be old(er) before I get a reply.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure that the Colonel has a wishbone arch at the seat stay, while the scout just runs a standard brace across the 2 seat stays. (edit......nevermind. I just looked at the website, and they both have the wishbone. Must have been the older Scouts that were that way. I suck to you.......)

But, you are on the right track. You should verify from John to be absolutely sure.

-C

"Tragically Flawed"
    Hi Cork,

You're right in your edit about the wishbone stays. My Scout, made sometime after 2002 according to John and the serial number, has straight seatstays. Not sure when they switched to wishbone.

The other bike, made in 1994-1997, again according to John, does have wishbone stays, which I guess points to it being a Colonel. I'll be sending him photos so he can confirm this.

And, despite claims here (MTBR) and elsewhere, Dean has been good at getting me the info I asked for. Not real chatty, but I'm sure that, as a small operation, their time is at a premium.

Anybody still reading care to offer advice about a rigid fork for this bike? John says it was designed around a fork with 63mm travel and 435mm axle-to-crown measurement. I'd like to keep my BB7 front brake, too, and I'd probably prefer cro-mo to carbon.

Thanks, all...

Quote Originally Posted by cork
    I'm pretty sure that the Colonel has a wishbone arch at the seat stay, while the scout just runs a standard brace across the 2 seat stays. (edit......nevermind. I just looked at the website, and they both have the wishbone. Must have been the older Scouts that were that way. I suck to you.......)

But, you are on the right track. You should verify from John to be absolutely sure.

-C

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seawind161
    Hi Cork,

And, despite claims here (MTBR) and elsewhere, Dean has been good at getting me the info I asked for. Not real chatty, but I'm sure that, as a small operation, their time is at a premium.
    I've always had great service from those guys. I would fly the DEAN colors whenever I can.

-C

mtbr member
    I love thoose guys too, I raced for them for a few years 1999-2003 and still have three DEANs, tho two are too small for me now. never had trouble contacting them and got all my frames in a timely fasion.

as far as a fork, I run a Planet-X (now OnOne) rigid fork on my 99 DEAN Oscar, the head angle was a little to steep for my liking (425 a-c) so I put a 29er wheel in the 26" fork and have been happy ever since
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

"Tragically Flawed"
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter916
    I love thoose guys too, I raced for them for a few years 1999-2003 and still have three DEANs, tho two are too small for me now. never had trouble contacting them and got all my frames in a timely fasion.

as far as a fork, I run a Planet-X (now OnOne) rigid fork on my 99 DEAN Oscar, the head angle was a little to steep for my liking (425 a-c) so I put a 29er wheel in the 26" fork and have been happy ever since
    Thanks, Scooter. I've had several suggestions on another forum, but you're the first with actual experience. Would a fork in the 445 a-c range be a better fit? I'm assuming the 425 made the bike a little twitchy?

I'll definitely look into the OnOne.

mtbr member
    I'm sure the longer A-C would feel better, the 425mm wasn't bad I rode it that way for almost a year, one day at work I decided to throw a 29er wheel up front to check it out, and like the way it rode, the bigger wheel rolls so much smoother in the rough choppy stuff. 26" wheels have a tendency to get slowed down by ruts etc. The OnOne forks are a great price and pretty light, other wise look into the Salsa, I just personally like the old Fat City look of the Planet-X
    A 445mm should be a good choice
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

"Tragically Flawed"

Fork Followup

Just a quick note to say that I found a White Bros Rock Solid carbon fork locally, used but in perfect condition, 445mm A-C, and I'm REALLY happy with it. Bike handles very well, though I'm still curious what a 425mm A-C would feel like.

Anyway, very light, fairly compliant on the small stuff, very precise handling, and perfect for what I use the bike for. Life is Good!