mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Heads up on a medium '08 XCL frame on ebay

It's now 10 am MST, the auction is up in about an hour. I already have two great bikes. I've always wanted to try an XCL but right now I don't need another but if I was looking...check out this link. I'm not affiliated with this seller and I cannot believe there's been no bids yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220315710695
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My finger was posed over "Bid now" in that last few minutes, thinking surely someone would pick up this deal for $700. But, like I said, I have two great bikes all dialed in that I'm happy with. If I had no bikes I would have gotten that frame. Why do you suppose nobody wanted to grab this steal of a deal?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Well for one - we really don't like to see stuff sold over Ebay for many reasons - but mostly warranty related. I have had calls where people have said I bought my bike on Ebay only to find "this" or "that" problem - which ends up costing a good deal amount to fix and maybe would have been better off buying new or from someone local where you can inspect and test ride the bike first.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    Well for one - we really don't like to see stuff sold over Ebay for many reasons - but mostly warranty related. I have had calls where people have said I bought my bike on Ebay only to find "this" or "that" problem - which ends up costing a good deal amount to fix and maybe would have been better off buying new or from someone local where you can inspect and test ride the bike first.
    I'd have to disagree with you Alan. A chance to pick up an "immaculate" XCL frame for half the suggested retail is too good to pass up. Most of us don't have the opportunity to purchase locally, so a test ride or inspection is impossible.

mtbr member
    Understood -- hope you had a good thanksgiving Dave.

nerfherder
    Plus, a thriving resale market means a thriving new bike sale market (at least for those of us that like to have new stuff all the time...).

mtbr member
    haha ... i guess i'm outnumbered on this one -

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I buy frames off ebay all the time

Sometimes new,sometimes slightly used, sometimes I get frames at retail stores. I've never been stiffed in any way so I don't have any qualms about buying "used".

I was really close to getting an '08 XCL when they first came out in I guess late '07. Really, it was just a flip of a coin. Concerning this particular one I just couldn't bring myself to add a third bike to my stable as I don't want to get rid of the ones I have. And I'll repeat, I can't believe someone wouldn't want to pick up that obviously clean '08 from that outdoor store in Montana.

I guess the question is, for the Chumba faithful is there some other model coming out, a newer better XCL and peeps want to wait. Is it the economy? I mean, that frame was $700 and nearly new. That can't possibly be what that frame is really worth.

nerfherder
    haha ... i guess i'm outnumbered on this one -
    We still love you. More or less.

mtbr member
    Understood -- hope you had a good thanksgiving Dave.
    Thanks Alan, you too.

xcguy "Sometimes new,sometimes slightly used, sometimes I get frames at retail stores. I've never been stiffed in any way so I don't have any qualms about buying "used".

Same here. I bough an absolutely mint Intense Tracer frame a few years back for $340, on Ebay. Soon after I bought an XCL, so it doesn't get much use.

md

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    We still love you. More or less.