Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Getting the (Soma) Groove on

Built up a bike to get the wife riding. Picked up this Soma Groove and built with a bunch of spare parts. Still need to shorten the brake hoses, but she's been having a blast on it riding the mountains as is and then switching to the slicks for the road riding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just Ride
    Sep 2005
    Nice looking bike!

mtbr member
    I've been eyeing those Soma's lately. Just curious - what size is that and how tall is your wife?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

frame size

It's a 17" frame and she is 5'7".

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

nice ride,

hey man, nice bike, been looking at getting one myself! dont suppose ypu have any more pic by any chance?
    The SeaMonkey has my money!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by antman
    It's a 17" frame and she is 5'7".
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

More pics

Quote Originally Posted by evilgenius
    hey man, nice bike, been looking at getting one myself! dont suppose ypu have any more pic by any chance?
    Here you go.

The bike pimp
    Mar 2004
    Here's another Groove. It's 17" and belongs to a 5' 8" rider and was built up with a Deore groupset. Rides really ncely for the money.
    www.sortedcycles.com
    Putting the biking bling in Britain

mtbr member
    Here you go.
    Any tire clearance issues in the back?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tire Clearance

Quote Originally Posted by notrelatedtoted
    Any tire clearance issues in the back?
    No problems with WTB MotoRaptor 2.1 and Kenda Nevegal 2.1

Paper or plastic?
    Did you guys put on 80 or 100mm forks on yours?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

The bike pimp
    Mar 2004
    The one in the picture is running 80mm forks.
    www.sortedcycles.com
    Putting the biking bling in Britain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    I believe SOMA specs these to run an 80mm fork.

They are nice frames, similar to the old Breezer hardtails in some ways.
    I'd rather be riding my bike...

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by SortedCycles
    The one in the picture is running 80mm forks.
    Thanks. I stripped the old 4one5 frame. The Groove is coming in today, and I'll put it together this w-e.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

RS revelation

It is set at 100mm and it handles great.

Paper or plastic?
    Got the frame today. Building it tonight while the kids are in bed!

Update: Frame is built up. Pics to come later.
    Last edited by zorg; 10-16-2006 at 08:11 PM.

Paper or plastic?
    It is set at 100mm and it handles great.
    I finally took my first real ride with it this morning. It's a fun training bike, and it does scoot faster than my sussy. So far, my only gripe is the fork. I get the feel that the cockpit is too low because of the SID. I'm contemplating getting a 100mm fork at some point, and I feel that then the bike would really shine.

enjoying the kool-aid
    Just for some more info, I run my 4one5 frame with an '05 Reba set @ 85mm. It had a SID on it when I bought it. It was alright, but the SID didn't agree with my riding style and my weight! The Reba is great!!

I love the Soma frame and you can't beat the prices. Great build quality on the frames! I'm contemplating getting a Smoothie for the road.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewieez
    Just for some more info, I run my 4one5 frame with an '05 Reba set @ 85mm. It had a SID on it when I bought it. It was alright, but the SID didn't agree with my riding style and my weight! The Reba is great!!

I love the Soma frame and you can't beat the prices. Great build quality on the frames! I'm contemplating getting a Smoothie for the road.
    I finally got a Reba 100mm for the Groove, and now the bike is perfect. It still climbs really well, and the front shock is light years ahead of the SID.

enjoying the kool-aid
    I finally got a Reba 100mm for the Groove, and now the bike is perfect. It still climbs really well, and the front shock is light years ahead of the SID.

Sweet! I'd be curious to try my Reba @ 100mm, but it rides quite well @ 85mm Nothing wrong with the bike except the engine! I think my next change is going to be a 32/16 instead of a 32/17

Paper or plastic?
    I was a bit worried about the climbing at first, but it turns out that it's no problem, and I like a more relaxed position for riding.

mtbr member
    May 2006

get a longer fork

the head angle is 71.5 degrees, so a longer fork is not a problem as slacker head angles. In addition, the BB is lower than most similar frames. In fact, on the 15", it is even lower. I put an 80mm travel fork on the 15", and I was having pedal strike problems with 170mm cranks. I switched to a 100-120mm Black fork with much better results. 100 - 110mm is probably the best setup.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I bought a Soma Groove 19" today.

I will use a Fox Vanilla 130 fork. Is it crazy to use a 130mm fork and shall I say my mech to short it down to 100mm?

When we put the fork to the frame the BB-drop was around 25-35mm. Is it OK or bad?

enjoying the kool-aid
    Quote Originally Posted by PanzerGoose
    I bought a Soma Groove 19" today.

I will use a Fox Vanilla 130 fork. Is it crazy to use a 130mm fork and shall I say my mech to short it down to 100mm?

When we put the fork to the frame the BB-drop was around 25-35mm. Is it OK or bad?
    I'd say it may effect your steering more than you'd like.

I have a Soma 4one5 and use a Reba set to 85 and I could tell a slight steering difference between the 80mm SID that it replaced.

The frame is designed around a 80mm fork. This will give you some play room as different manufactures size their forks differently. Some 80mm as shorter or taller than others. If you don't mind what a 100mm fork does to the steering, go for it. I'd say that 130 would be pushing it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Tnx!
    somafab.com says A-C->440mm. My Fox has A-C=475mm but my sag is 30-35mm so, my 130mm fork will have a A-C=435mm when I sit on the bike. It feels like I shall try to use the 130 version...

enjoying the kool-aid
    Don't forget that sag isn't a static measurement. Anytime you unweight the front, your sag will lower. When you come down from a drop, the leverage on the fork will still be that of a 130mm fork, not a 80 or 100.

But the great thing is you can try 130, and then covert it to 100 and try that. You could even get some custom spacers and get the Vanilla down to 80 if you wanted.

mtbr member

Soma question of a different sort - BB

I'm in the process of building a Groove and I'd like to know what bottom bracket spindle length people have used. There's no info on Soma's site. I emailed them but hoping for a quicker response. I've got an LX crankset with a 121mm spindle. For a more detailed explanation of my problem please view my other post here. Any input is valuable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Well, I got the bike today. Havn't ride it in the wood but it feels nice after a bit stree ride. My 130 Vanilla seems nice for tomorrows technic trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Nice Groove. I just bought my second one last night used. Just curious, why are so many guys converting the Groove to 1x1 when the Soma 4one5 is the same frame with horizontal drops? I run 80mm or less forks on all my Somas. How did the 130 handle in the dirt?
    - Scott

=============================================
    I love the smell of Lemon Pledge in the morning...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Soma Groove city bike

Got hold of a beat up Groove and used it to build up a commuter bike with some old mtb parts. Those are ancient Judy's on the front at about 80mm.

The Uberest of Micks.
    Bumping this thread for some info.

So I ordered up a frame and it arrived Saturday from bikemania.biz (they had the size and color I wanted in stock, my main reason for going with them, but their price was also the best I found.) And looking at the frame, I have absolutely NO idea how to route the rear derailleur. I know it runs the length of the bottom tube, but where does it go once it hits the bottom bracket? Is there supposed to be some sort of cable routing there? I'm asking here because bikemania aren't responding to me, and I haven't heard a peep email wise from Soma...
    "Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."
    - Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    There is supposed to be a plastic guide that screws into the bottom of the shell. If you can't get bikemania to respond, try emailing Soma. I've had good responses from them.

mtbr member
    I know the guys who used to import Soma frames into the UK and every one they had through was missing the plastic guide under the BB. They had to buy them in themselves and fit them.
    What you need is one of these - http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=FS1092

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Shimano BB cable guide at Nashbar $1.49

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...%20Accessories
    - Scott

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm running IRC BackCountry 2.25s F&R without any issues.
    - Scott

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just got my Groove frame yesterday and I've got a question about the cable guides for the rear brake. I can't get a hydraulic hose into them because they are almost fully enclosed!

I noticed in one of the earlier photos that the brake hose has been zip-tied to the frame. I guess my only other option is to cut the hose and feed it through, then re-fit and re-bleed?

EDIT: Nevermind, I had to shorten the housing anyway, so I threaded it through the guides at the same time. I was *very* careful so I'm hoping I can get away with out bleeding them (Formula K18). Build is going well so far, I'll post pics in a couple hours!
    Last edited by aBrownCow; 08-19-2008 at 04:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cable guides

When I had the Maguras on mine I ran the Jagwire hydraulic cable guides. Worked out well for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Here's my latest Soma Groove. Wasn't sure how about the carbon rigid Mosso fork, being a Clydesdale and all, but from the limited riding I've done on it the past two weeks, I've had no issues. Certainly lightens up the front end.

" width="549">

" width="549">
    - Scott

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    No one have a groove built up in black? I think this might be my next ht.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I forgot about this thread...

Well, to close up, the Groove rides great with a 130mm Vanilla in front. With a wide riser it gives me great control over rough terrain. That said, I only use it for very technical riding on cliffs and very rooty trails. Dont be afraid to use a bit taller forks, even thogh I cant tell about long term stress och the frame yet. One year and counting

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    This was my first groove, 21" XL pre-disc, rode like a dream. Sold it and went with the 19" Lg.

" width="549">
    - Scott

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Nice. I am still on the fence between getting a groove or the voodoo bizango. In research I have heard more compliments about the ride quality of the soma. Decisions, decisions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    With the voodoo biz your getting better steal (Reynolds 853 vs. Reynolds 631 on the Soma) but you're also paying twice as much($623 vs. $350) I like 853 better, but not twice as much. You also have 100mm fork on the biz vs. an 80mm on the groove. From what I've read, the groove claimed weight is 4.25 #s and the voodoo is 4.4.

If you're set on 853, consider the Nashbar signature 853 frame @ $249 (if you ride a small or XL) or find a used Jamis Dragon on ebay or here obviously. I still like my old used $80 Dragon frame better than any of my Somas. It's the orange ride below.

- Scott

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah Scott I have been going back and forth on these frames. I have a new 100mm reba waiting for a new frame (X-mas). Like Zorg in a earlier post I prefer a more upright riding position a think the Groove will be alright with it ( also a little more bb clearance). I like the lighter weight and I think the larger triangles of the frame (compared to voodoo) might provide a little smoother ride but I don't know. I like the bizango for a little more tire clearance (2.3) and the durability of the 853.
    I'm 5'10" and am looking at a 18" bizango or 19" groove. I am out of luck with the nashbar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Just for comparison sake, this is a new 2.25 IRC Backcountry on a 19" groove and higher volume 2.25 Geax Blades on my 19" 4one5 SS with a bit of room to spare (same frame as groove, sans the rear dropouts). 2.3s and 100mm Reba should be fine on either frame. Good luck in your choice. Post pics either way. :-)

- Scott

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the info Scott. Another concern is the bottom bracket height. I hope with 100mm fork the groove will be at 12" or more. Any predictions?
    Sweet ss by the way!

master blaster
    heres what i have planned so far. im waiting on the frame, headset, and seatpost.
    Frame: SOMA Groove 19”
    Fork: Rock Shox SID Race 100mm
    Headset: Chris King No Thread-set
    Crank Set: Shimano SLX 32t w/ Bash Guard
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano SLX External Bearing
    Derailleur Front: NA
    Derailleur Rear: Shimano XTR Shadow Carbon
    Freewheel: Shimano SLX 9-Speed 11-34
    Chain: Shimano HG73
    Pedals: Crank Brothers Candy C
    Handlebar: Ritchey Comp riser bar 25mm Rise; 630 Width; 31.8 clamp
    Stem: Ritchey Pro mtn; 6 degree; 31.8 clamp
    Grips: WTB Moto Grip
    Derailleur Shifter: Shimano SLX RapidFire Plus 9-Speed
    Saddle: WTB Speep V Crmo Rails
    Seat Post: Thomson Elite 27.2 x 410mm
    Seat Post Clamp: Integrated
    Hubset:
    Rim: Mavic 2008 Crossride UB Wheelset Black
    Spokes:
    Tires: Kenda Small Block Eight 2.1
    Brakes: Shimano SLX Hydraulic Disc w/ Avid Roundagon Rotor - 160 mm
    Brak Lever: Shimaeno SLX
    Last edited by veloreality; 12-28-2009 at 12:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

Birdman aka JMJ

Old and New Grooves

A buddy of mine just got a new Groove. Here are pix of mine (black, 2002) and his (blue, 2009). Both are 20" frames, but mine is rigged for SS with an air/oil fork. His is 3x8 with a coil/oil fork.

My wife has a 14" Groove rigged as a city bike (3x8, rigid steel fork, upright cockpit).

Versatile and sweet-riding.

JMJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting the (Soma) Groove on-groove-001a.jpg  

Getting the (Soma) Groove on-groove-002a.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Here is my Soma Groove that I built as a travel bike. Picked up a new frame off ebay for $250 and had a framebuilder weld in some S&S couplers. The frame weighs about 4.9lbs with the couplers installed, but built up to a relatively light 23.5lbs with pedals. When not traveling I use it as a backup mountain bike, or a street bike with slicks.

2013 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2015 Lynskey Cooper CX
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Here's my new Groove. All old parts I had lying around. 1x9 and drop bars. Riding on 38mm nimbus. Pretty quick and comfy geometry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting the (Soma) Groove on-imageuploadedbytapatalk1329788354.163603.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast