Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Greetings;
    Got a great deal on a new 09 Groove frame and built it up with a eclectic mix of new reasonably priced components plus some retro Suntour and Shimano. I'm amazed at the build and finish quality of Soma frames and am very happy with mine.
    Regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting the (Soma) Groove on-img_1782-1024x767-.jpg  

Getting the (Soma) Groove on-img_1780-1024x671-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Here is an updated pic of mine wearing proper tires!

2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Here is my Groove. I'm currently in the process of installing disc brakes and swapping the frame to a 19".

Last edited by Subaru_Nation555; 04-09-2012 at 02:50 PM.

mtbr member

Got mine built over the weekend! Gotta take it out tonight and do some fine tuning (saddle angle for instance), but so far I really dig it!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Greetings;
    If the saddle height is right for you, why do you think you need a 19"? Your frame looks to be the proper size for you. Remember the effective top tube length of the Groove frames are somewhat short, and a 19'' frame will be shorter!!
    Cheers

mtbr member
    My Interloc Tempest. the Reynolds 853 "brother" to the Soma...

Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Early morning picture from a bike tour this summer. Afterwards I just swapped out the handlebars and tires and was back on the trails!

Last edited by Subaru_Nation555; 08-31-2012 at 02:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    citybike on steroids:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting the (Soma) Groove on-7911657576_1cb2519c1d_c-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Wow that is cool!!! What tires are those?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    thanks!
    those are schwalbe fat franks 26*2.35

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by i.wombat View Post
    citybike on steroids:
    Well that just double confirmed my long term desire to put Schwalbe Creme tires on my bike.

A God Without A Name
    I think it looks FANTASTIC. I got a black stripe on them in about 7 seconds.

IT WAS AWESOME.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting the (Soma) Groove on-img_20120920_200229.jpg  

A God Without A Name
    My Nikon is as bad a camera as my cell phone. but... slightly better picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting the (Soma) Groove on-dscn0665.jpg  

Getting the (Soma) Groove on-dscn0670.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well, after 4 seasons of riding and racing on my Soma Groove, I found these cracks at the downtube/headtube junction:

imgur: the simple image sharer

So I emailed Soma, and they simply recommended retiring the fame. It's out of warranty; the warranty is 3 years, I've had the bike for 4. LBS offered me a 2011 Kona Unit frame for $250 though, I think I'm going to take it and swap the compatible parts over. I've seen the light of the big 29er wheels

This is the first time I've ever cracked a frame, so I have mixed emotions. Happy that it didn't fail catastrophically; proud that I rode hard enough to break it; sad because she was a great bike.

A God Without A Name
    I'm not sure that is a frame crack, it could be the finish aging.if it was me I'd have it sandblasted,checked again, and have a bead laid over it.

Frankly I am considering buying another Groove while they're still in stock in places. Just to have a back up.

I really, really love this frame,

I've ridden better bikes. better frames... but I dunno. this bike is just...

Its like an old jeep thats family been in the family for ages... it just feels a part of things. and never gives me any problems.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aBrownCow View Post
    Well, after 4 seasons of riding and racing on my Soma Groove, I found these cracks at the downtube/headtube junction:

imgur: the simple image sharer

So I emailed Soma, and they simply recommended retiring the fame. It's out of warranty; the warranty is 3 years, I've had the bike for 4. LBS offered me a 2011 Kona Unit frame for $250 though, I think I'm going to take it and swap the compatible parts over. I've seen the light of the big 29er wheels

This is the first time I've ever cracked a frame, so I have mixed emotions. Happy that it didn't fail catastrophically; proud that I rode hard enough to break it; sad because she was a great bike.
    Poor girl!! You treated her wrong
    But, I think it can be fixed. If you find a right welder and weld the cracks, poor Soma still can be used as a citybike or something like this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sorry Chap;
    Those cracks do appear to be stress related, however can be repaired. I trust you did not exceed Soma's 80mm. fork travel limit as longer forks would indeed stress the head tube area. I weigh 220lbs. and have been riding my three year old Groove often and hard. It's still holding up well using 80mm travel forks. Soma's are wonderful bikes with excellent tubing at a great price. Good luck with yours.
    Regards

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The upper indication MAY be a crack - the lower one certainly doesn't look like a crack. a head tube fatigue crack (or overload) will not run transversely across the weld like that it would run around the weldtoe.
    I would take the frame to a shop get them to take the paint off and MPI it - honestly that looks more like a coating problem to me rather than cracks in the metal underneath. I wouldn't do anything til you confirm whether they are cracks or not - if you can a find shop with and eddy current set you may not need to take the paint off. to confirm whether they are cracks or not. You may just have a $50 paint repair required, rather than $250+ on a new frame

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJon View Post
    The upper indication MAY be a crack - the lower one certainly doesn't look like a crack. a head tube fatigue crack (or overload) will not run transversely across the weld like that it would run around the weldtoe.
    I would take the frame to a shop get them to take the paint off and MPI it - honestly that looks more like a coating problem to me rather than cracks in the metal underneath. I wouldn't do anything til you confirm whether they are cracks or not - if you can a find shop with and eddy current set you may not need to take the paint off. to confirm whether they are cracks or not. You may just have a $50 paint repair required, rather than $250+ on a new frame
    Having broken a few frames in my life, I agree. Those look like cracks in the finish to me.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member

Have about 500 miles on mine now, and still in love!!! Think I may start changing a few things up, like maybe a new stem and bars.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3