Thread: Funk La Ruta

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Funk La Ruta

Everyone has a dream. This is mine!
    Funk La Ruta titanium softail with Rohloff speedhub.
    First of all, I love titanium. It is my ideal material for bicycle. It is corrosion and impact resistant. It has a great strength to weight ratio. It is beautiful, and it last forever!
    Secondly, I love Rohloff. Low maintenance, undisturbed by riding condition, perfect shifting without a miss. It is a complex design that stood for years, with such a simple interface and appearance.
    Then I found Funk La Ruta. A bike that allows me to complete my dream. It is a titanium softail. No linkage, this is something many full suspension bike owners will appreciate; no loose bearing, no squeaky noise, no maintenance. Softail also means near zero chain growth, which is ideal for internal hub, where no tensioner is needed. 3" of travel is plenty enough for a wide range of terrain.

M size frame (with rear shock) comes in at 1.95kg.
    Full bike weights 10.9kg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Funk La Ruta-screenshot034.jpg  

Funk La Ruta-screenshot035.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Nice setup. Is it 26er? How it compares to a bike with traditional bearing suspension?

mtbr member
    I looking at la ruta to buy, do you have any issues with the bike? It looks great, i'll be going for normal gears.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    it's 26". i was riding a '05 litespeed sewanee with 60mm rear travel. i felt that la ruta is slightly less sensitive for the very small bump, but has a very linear travel zone after. but the difference is really small. to be fair, i've never done an apple-to-apple comparison with the same rear shox, and i believe that could the rear shox could contribute a larger difference than the frame itself...i'm just speculating.
    stiffness wise, it is a lot stiffer than the litespeed. very responsive, especially with pro-pedal on.

i was (and still a little) worried about the rear shox reliability, given that one end of it is clamped on. i have been riding this bike for a few months now, no issue. Funk has great customer service! response is quick, and sincere. that's one of the reasons i pulled the trigger. i figured that if i have a problem, they will fix it for me. also, with shox technology advances, i wouldn't mind changing a rear shox every few years (shall there be reliability issue), than to live with loose bearing/squeaky noise every so often.

mtbr member
    VERY nice ride!! I've looked at them and have written the company and found very nice folks there. I think that is the only way to go get one made for oneself.
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

mtbr member
    I made a thread in the frame building section, and got a lot of negative feedback about the design, however everyone who has ridden one on this forum has nothing but praise for it ????

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    cabbgage: what are some of common negative feedback? maybe you can share and i can give my perspective?

there is no best bike. but there is a best bike for you, for your application.
    in my opinion, these are some 'weaknesses' this bike has:
    1) POTENTIAL rear shox reliability - like i said, if it can last 3-5 yrs, i'm more than happy. and i will switch to a new shox with latest technology then.
    2) rear end stiffness - surely not as 'responsive' as a hardtail. is that because the rear end if flexing, or the shox is moving? i can't tell. I believe it depends a lot on rear shox, getting the right balance between stiffness and suspension, which depends on where and how you ride. maybe a lockout shox is better option for the more powerful rider. but really, it is plenty responsive for me. i'm 72kg, i can do 40km road time trial average ~39kph, so i'll say i have above average fitness. but i can imagine it MAY be different for heavier or more powerful rider.
    3) limited travel - ok, it doesn't have 4" travel. but there are plenty of people out there who ride hardtail and 1" travel ybb (with no damping). it just depends what you want. I've ridden 2008 specialized epic. i don't feel any less confident on la ruta. it is of course different if you are looking at 5"-travel-or-above all-mountain bike.
    4) $$$ - this is probably the biggest hurdle I'm 35 yrs old. I figured if this extra dollar can help me sustain my interest, gaining fitness and at the same time reduce the amount of alcohol intake, this can't be a wrong move. yes, i can get something similar with a much lower cost. but then i'll keep looking at the la ruta over and over again. $3.5k for love at first sight? i'll buy that

mtbr member
    They were saying that the design with the flex plate behind the bb, will cause pedal bob. I'd love to see some more pics of your bike. Thanks for your feedback.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    when i look down on the rear shox (while riding on smooth road), i do notice very small amount of suspension movement. but it is very little, i won't call it 'bob'. my only reference is that 2005 litespeed sewanee. the litespeed has more movement than the la ruta.
    I don't have any close up pic. let me know what area you are interested and i can do it when i have the chance. the bike has been covered with mud for a long time. i dont have the time, and dont see the need to clean it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by teocl View Post
    Everyone has a dream. This is mine!
    Funk La Ruta titanium softail with Rohloff speedhub.
    First of all, I love titanium. It is my ideal material for bicycle. It is corrosion and impact resistant. It has a great strength to weight ratio. It is beautiful, and it last forever!
    Secondly, I love Rohloff. Low maintenance, undisturbed by riding condition, perfect shifting without a miss. It is a complex design that stood for years, with such a simple interface and appearance.
    Then I found Funk La Ruta. A bike that allows me to complete my dream. It is a titanium softail. No linkage, this is something many full suspension bike owners will appreciate; no loose bearing, no squeaky noise, no maintenance. Softail also means near zero chain growth, which is ideal for internal hub, where no tensioner is needed. 3" of travel is plenty enough for a wide range of terrain.

M size frame (with rear shock) comes in at 1.95kg.
    Full bike weights 10.9kg.
    Your bike is also my dream bike - I currently have a Lenz Sport Milk Money with a Rohloff, but my next frame will be a Funk La Ruta 29er! Curious if you've every thrown a chain off the sprockets? This is my only concern with the Funk. Other owners have reported no thrown chains, so I'm just trying to gather as much data as I can before I pull the trigger in the future... Thanks for your feedback in advance!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i was a little worried about it too but NEVER had a chain drop. other than that, i was also concerned about whether the rear wheel actually move away from BB at some point during the compression path, that will 'stretch' the chain. and that will determine how tight i can tension the chain during the initial setup. what i did was i released the rear shock pressure completely and push the bike down to the bottom of the travel while resting my finger on the chain. i don't detect any noticeable chain growth/stretch. so i will say chain length changes thru the travel is very minimal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by teocl View Post
    i was a little worried about it too but NEVER had a chain drop. other than that, i was also concerned about whether the rear wheel actually move away from BB at some point during the compression path, that will 'stretch' the chain. and that will determine how tight i can tension the chain during the initial setup. what i did was i released the rear shock pressure completely and push the bike down to the bottom of the travel while resting my finger on the chain. i don't detect any noticeable chain growth/stretch. so i will say chain length changes thru the travel is very minimal.
    Much Appreciated! That is exactly the feedback I was hoping to hear - I now know what my next frame is "Funk La Ruta"!