mtbr member

fixed!!! F5 noisey floating brake

Ok, this is my only gripe about the bike. As many of you know the brakes hum loudly and the bike vibrates under braking. I tried all kinds of "fixes" and nothing, until today. I've tried checking all bolt torques, new pads, re-spacing the caliper, pre-loading caliper rotation, etc...
    Here are the sources of noise from the floater.

1. play in the heim joints
    fix: put an O-ring between the heim joint and it's mounting surface. this will pre-load the joint and eliminate any rattle. also I reccommend putting blue Loctite on the hiem joint bolts and the lock nuts on the rod.

2. play in the floater arm bearing.
    fix: install a 24mm inside diameter nylon washer between the swing arm and the floater arm. This washer should be no more than 1.5mm thick and sit around the raised ring on the inside of the swing arm (where the axle goes through). The axle must be torqued differently using this method.

Install about 2-3 drops of blue Locktite on the threads of the axle
    Tighten the axle until snug ( about 10-15 ft/lbs)
    tighten the crap out of the pinch bolts
    enjoy

Don't bother trying to upgrade the floater arm bearing. I ordered an abec7 ceramic 6001rs bearing, and it has worse play than the stock unit. I put it in anyway, only because ceramic bearings are lighter than steel. I'm such a weight weenie! It had worse play after installing the bearing so I stood there and stared at it for a few minutes. Then, I started digging through my o-rings and crush washers until I found one that fit around the raised area on the swing arm.

There is another way to do it. You could always file down the raised area on the swing-arm, but I wouldn't reccommend it. You can take metal off but you can't put it back.
    Team _________

ride hard take risks
    Very cool congratz on the fix, bins of stuff is Gold
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot