Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: fetish cycles

Retrograde Customs

fetish cycles

anyone out there ride a fetish cycles frame. if you do how do you have it setup? i just got one a couple months ago and i have not seen of heard of anyone else having or riding one.

I like Squishy Bikes

Alloy Nipples

He has a Fetish

Anyone try this bike rack?
    A dirty book is rarely dusty

Retrograde Customs

alloy nipples?

what about them?

mtbr member
    I think he is referring to an mtbr member whose name is "Alloy Nipples" and that this person has a Fetish bike.

Post some pics of your bike man. I am thinking about picking up a SS frame from them.

Retrograde Customs

Upset my fetish

my p.o.s. computer won't let me attatch images for some reason.

Retrograde Customs

pics

how the hell do you do this on here? it's totally different from anything i've had to use before.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fetish Cycles..

I've got 2 of the Discipline hardtail frames, I bought one off of eBay, and I was happy enough with it to buy a second to build up as a loaner bike. I've definately been happy with them, I also ended up picking up one of their dirt jumping frames, I think they are tagged as "Obsession" now, and it's a great little park bike.. All told I generally only spent about $100-125/shipped for each frame, and they've been great. When they first were listing them(when I got the first), they were going for $69.99 as an opening bid, and even with $30 shipping it was still under $100..

I picked up a few deraileur hangers to have around in case, but as of yet havn't needed one.

Retrograde Customs

deraileur hanger

Quote Originally Posted by Density524
    I've got 2 of the Discipline hardtail frames, I bought one off of eBay, and I was happy enough with it to buy a second to build up as a loaner bike. I've definately been happy with them, I also ended up picking up one of their dirt jumping frames, I think they are tagged as "Obsession" now, and it's a great little park bike.. All told I generally only spent about $100-125/shipped for each frame, and they've been great. When they first were listing them(when I got the first), they were going for $69.99 as an opening bid, and even with $30 shipping it was still under $100..

I picked up a few deraileur hangers to have around in case, but as of yet havn't needed one.
    i bent mine on the second ride and can't for the life of me get a new one. i've called fetish and i've emailed them and the only responce i got took like 3 weeks and they said they were out but they would let me know when they had more. i have yet to hear back from them. i love the frame but what a $hit company, i must say they do a great job backing there product, NOT. how do you have your fetishs setup? i've only seen a couple and none were all that trick. mine will be a 24 pound xc rig when it's compete, it's around 26 now.

Kearsarge crawler
    My new Fetish ss will be ready in a couple of weeks. Yeti handle bar and seatpost, Truvative ss crankset, Spot hubs laced to xm819's, Avid Juicys. A surly rigid front fork, Selle Italia saddle, truvative stem. The remaining parts are a suprise to me as I told the LBS to make the choice of rear cog/freewheel and chain tensioner. The bottom bracket will be what ever he has in stock. I'll post pics when it arrives.

This bike will be my winter ride. Low maintenace and no shock to worry about, should be fun.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

Retrograde Customs

trust

Quote Originally Posted by minkhiller
    My new Fetish ss will be ready in a couple of weeks. Yeti handle bar and seatpost, Truvative ss crankset, Spot hubs laced to xm819's, Avid Juicys. A surly rigid front fork, Selle Italia saddle, truvative stem. The remaining parts are a suprise to me as I told the LBS to make the choice of rear cog/freewheel and chain tensioner. The bottom bracket will be what ever he has in stock. I'll post pics when it arrives.

This bike will be my winter ride. Low maintenace and no shock to worry about, should be fun.
    what a brave soul to trust your lbs. i do all my own work, if i can't do it i learn how.

Kearsarge crawler
    Quote Originally Posted by dansjustchillin
    what a brave soul to trust your lbs. i do all my own work, if i can't do it i learn how.
    You have had a problem with my LBS, I seriously doubt that.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

Retrograde Customs

depends

You have had a problem with my LBS, I seriously doubt that.
    that all depends on what your lbs is. personally i don't trust any of them. everyone i've ever been to would not think twice about getting every penny from me. there are plenty of shops around here that are owned by people with no intrest in bikes, but then again that's not what this thread is about now is it.

Kearsarge crawler
    that all depends on what your lbs is. personally i don't trust any of them. everyone i've ever been to would not think twice about getting every penny from me. there are plenty of shops around here that are owned by people with no intrest in bikes, but then again that's not what this thread is about now is it.
    You brought up the issue of trusting MY lbs now didn't you.

Retrograde Customs

yeah i did

why are you making a big deal out of nothing?

Kearsarge crawler
    Just to show you that I won't let you generalize all LBS's as the same. Maybe you don't have any reputable shop's, or so you think in Hayward, CA, or maybe it's your 19 year old attitude. What ever it maybe the shops are not all them same.

Retrograde Customs
    Just to show you that I won't let you generalize all LBS's as the same. Maybe you don't have any reputable shop's, or so you think in Hayward, CA, or maybe it's your 19 year old attitude. What ever it maybe the shops are not all them same.
    you know i don't have a problem telling anyone that hayward is infact a **** place to be but i thank you not to judge a person you know nothing about. i thought i made it clear that my opinion was based on what's around here which would imply that i could be wrong about your lbs, maybe they hook you up i don't know but you had to go to far and make it personal. i am not your average 19 year old so don't talk to me like i am.

Kearsarge crawler
    Ok, Danny.

Retrograde Customs

back to the topic at hand

Ok, Danny.
    how is their ss frame? the one i saw was basically a discipline with ss dropouts.

Kearsarge crawler
    how is their ss frame? the one i saw was basically a discipline with ss dropouts.
    Mine is a Discipline with vertical dropouts that will have a chain tensioner on the hanger.

Retrograde Customs

i thought about that

Mine is a Discipline with vertical dropouts that will have a chain tensioner on the hanger.
    i was thinking about doing that for a while or using a 12-24 road cassette with a single chainring up front. it ended up with a 12-32 and 44/32/22. i'll post the link to it on light-bikes.com when the pic comes up.

Retrograde Customs

here it is

a few more upgrades and she'll lose 2 pounds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Retrograde Customs

lets see what you got

post your fetishs up. lets check em out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Here is mine. Just done building it .Rides well.

Retrograde Customs

nice

Quote Originally Posted by slow SS
    Here is mine. Just done building it .Rides well.
    nice! seems like almost everyone sets their fetish up as a single speed, not that there's anything wrong with that it's just interesting. what about the frame is so apealing to the ss riders?

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    ..what about the frame is so apealing to the ss riders?
    I think it's the price. For just $99 on eBay you can get one of these frames and throw on some parts and presto...SS ride for less.

They do make a SS specific frame with horz rear dropouts, but those go for $150 on eBay.

Nice rides posted. I've thinking about getting one to build up as a fat tire commuter with 2.5 Hookworms and roadie drops or moustache bars.

Retrograde Customs

it's up finally!!

Kearsarge crawler
    Picked it up today.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    i bent mine on the second ride and can't for the life of me get a new one. i've called fetish and i've emailed them and the only responce i got took like 3 weeks and they said they were out but they would let me know when they had more. i have yet to hear back from them. i love the frame but what a $hit company, i must say they do a great job backing there product, NOT. how do you have your fetishs setup? i've only seen a couple and none were all that trick. mine will be a 24 pound xc rig when it's compete, it's around 26 now.
    I dont know if Fetish ever got back to you but I found a replacement deraileur hanger at http://derailleurhanger.com/index.htm
    There hanger #52 fits the discipline. Its under diamindback and is the last on hanger on the page. It is also under a couple of other brands as well. I ordered one because I got sick of wainting for Fetish and it works great.

Good luck,

Retrograde Customs

good lookin out

Quote Originally Posted by cbohn
    I dont know if Fetish ever got back to you but I found a replacement deraileur hanger at http://derailleurhanger.com/index.htm
    There hanger #52 fits the discipline. Its under diamindback and is the last on hanger on the page. It is also under a couple of other brands as well. I ordered one because I got sick of wainting for Fetish and it works great.

Good luck,
    thanks for sharing that, i'll have to order a few of those in the very near future. anyone seen the fetish site lately? they got all kinds of new toys.

Kearsarge crawler
    The only thing I have found so far is that the bottom bracket is a little low for our New England rock infested singletrack. I have learned to keep my cranks up and level when encountering a raised "trail feature". Other than that I am having fun with it, should be great for winter.

Oct 2004
    a few more upgrades and she'll lose 2 pounds.
    So that means your changing the tires right?

I am a color freak myself and i love your color scheme.
    I love michelin and have many different models including the Hot S.

I would have to say that my hot s is the slowest moving tire of them all and is also pretty heavy if that is an issue. Try the panaracer fire x pros with red stripe. They dont make your bike half as pretty but i think your bike will roll much faster .

Retrograde Customs

tires

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwa2
    So that means your changing the tires right?

I am a color freak myself and i love your color scheme.
    I love michelin and have many different models including the Hot S.

I would have to say that my hot s is the slowest moving tire of them all and is also pretty heavy if that is an issue. Try the panaracer fire x pros with red stripe. They dont make your bike half as pretty but i think your bike will roll much faster .
    i don't know why i didnt see this post sooner. i changed the tires like 2 days after that picture was taken. i'm running irc mythos 1.95's now with the red sidewalls. i have my issues trusting the smaller tires but they are much lighter and faster, not to mention how much better my bike climbs now. the fire xc's are almost the same weight as the hot s. i had thought about going to them but when i saw the weight it really served no purpose to run them. i remembered that i had the new set of irc's on another bike hanging in the garage, i had put these on this bike and rode it like 2 times until i broke the shifter and it's been hanging ever since, so the tires are still brand new. i checked them and they are much lighter so i put them on. i am not at all disapointed with them.

mtbr member

my fetish cycles budget build

Here it is. Budget build starting with a frame from evilbay ($109) or so. I'll post the components list if anyone cares. Show here with a psylo which is crap IMHO. It soaks up the bumps ok but the lateral flex is intolerable. Mostly lastyears/closeouts/etc kept the costs under $800. I rode it today for the first time and it seems to handle well considering the fork. It feels good and sprints like a good hardtail should. Of course the fork I want will kill the budget but I am seriously considering a rigid fork until I can get something else. One note, even though the frame is built for 100mm sus, the knob on the psylo uturn doesn't clear the frame. It clears by about 1 mm with knob removed. Not a lot of consideration for forks in that respect. However - overall frame quality is great and I think it looks killer. Of course for some reason, all my bikes are black...so really there all kind of the same...

James

http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/507/250164FC.jpg here is the gallery image post if I don't succesfully attach the image..
    • File Type: jpg FC.jpg (50.4 KB, 5418 views)

Oct 2004
    i don't know why i didnt see this post sooner. i changed the tires like 2 days after that picture was taken. i'm running irc mythos 1.95's now with the red sidewalls. i have my issues trusting the smaller tires but they are much lighter and faster, not to mention how much better my bike climbs now. the fire xc's are almost the same weight as the hot s. i had thought about going to them but when i saw the weight it really served no purpose to run them. i remembered that i had the new set of irc's on another bike hanging in the garage, i had put these on this bike and rode it like 2 times until i broke the shifter and it's been hanging ever since, so the tires are still brand new. i checked them and they are much lighter so i put them on. i am not at all disapointed with them.
    Yeah, you probably made a better choice with the irc's. I forgot about them. I haven't tried those yet but i want to and they are more popular with the racers in my area than the panaracers.

Retrograde Customs
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonwa2
    Yeah, you probably made a better choice with the irc's. I forgot about them. I haven't tried those yet but i want to and they are more popular with the racers in my area than the panaracers.
    yeah i am very pleased with them and i'm starting to trust them more, they do stick if you lean into your turns.

Retrograde Customs
    Picked it up today.
    what fork is that? i've been looking for something like that for my K2.

Kearsarge crawler
    what fork is that? i've been looking for something like that for my K2.
    It's a Surly.

Retrograde Customs
    It's a Surly.
    you have a part number or anything for it? the surly forks i saw in qbp are not like that one.

Kearsarge crawler
    you have a part number or anything for it? the surly forks i saw in qbp are not like that one.
    It's an Instigator.

I Just Ride....
    I photographed this guy riding a "Fetish" Bike over the summer.
    He sure could pop it off this step up.
    Brian
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

Retrograde Customs

fetish update

i have updated pics and some new avid sd-ti brakes on the way which should take the weight down around 23.60 pounds, although they won't get mounted until i get the new levers, cables and housing. bars are getting chopped down to after the new levers and grips. ti bolts for the steerer on my stem there and my k2 that's still waiting for a a set of those forks minkhiller.

Retrograde Customs

... and if we just ... new toys

i'm in the process of ordering a new discipline and a fixation frame. i'll post pics when they come in.

mtbr member

Here's my discipline

built up as a SS, parts box and budget style.........will upgrade components as I get a chance. One thing I liked when I read this thread is that someone built up a discipline for their "loaner" bike....great idea! the frame is the best deal $$$ & quality wise I have come across IMHO.

Question I have: I put on a surly 1x1, 413mm axle to crown & the discipline is designed with a 100mm fork in mind. Someone asked me if it was twitchy (which it is not), and I started thinking about it. So basically I have a steeper head tube angle than the bikes stated geometry (and therefore it is more aggressive)? FYI I've taken it on two rides so far and I think it is quick, responsive and stable, handles like a dream!
    =--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=
    frenzied

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Problems with my Fetish

anyone out there ride a fetish cycles frame. if you do how do you have it setup? i just got one a couple months ago and i have not seen of heard of anyone else having or riding one.
    Hey everyone, I just purchased a fixation single speed frame from e-bay over the christmas hollidays. When i was putting it together, I noticed the bottom bracket threads were clogged with something and would not let me install the bottom bracket. I took the frame to my local LBS and a buddy of mine working there, cleaned the threads for me. when we tried to install the bottom bracket again, it was threaded with an offset causing the drive side to thread in with a slite offset, which inturn caused the non-drive cup to wedge and not thread in properly. Has anyone ever had this problem or any other with fetish frames and how good are the people at Fetish when it comes to frame warranty. Am I Screwed or what.

Thanks,
    Mcgruff

Retrograde Customs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgruff
    Hey everyone, I just purchased a fixation single speed frame from e-bay over the christmas hollidays. When i was putting it together, I noticed the bottom bracket threads were clogged with something and would not let me install the bottom bracket. I took the frame to my local LBS and a buddy of mine working there, cleaned the threads for me. when we tried to install the bottom bracket again, it was threaded with an offset causing the drive side to thread in with a slite offset, which inturn caused the non-drive cup to wedge and not thread in properly. Has anyone ever had this problem or any other with fetish frames and how good are the people at Fetish when it comes to frame warranty. Am I Screwed or what.

Thanks,
    Mcgruff
    i'll have to let you know when my fixation comes in. i just ordered another discipline frame and a fixation. they get shipped out tomorrow.

I'm sticky
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rash
    Question I have: I put on a surly 1x1, 413mm axle to crown & the discipline is designed with a 100mm fork in mind. Someone asked me if it was twitchy (which it is not), and I started thinking about it.
    Hey Rash, that was me... the only thing that matters is that YOU like the way it handles. I was just wonderin' your impressions - I have a much shorter stem on my Fetish project, so with the Instigator fork I'll probably have a similarly handling bike. I'm glad to hear you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by rash
    So basically I have a steeper head tube angle than the bikes stated geometry (and therefore it is more aggressive)?
    Yup, theoretically. Whether it is enough to really notice, I don't know.

mtbr member

more research in the field.....

5 more rides, maybe more....handles like-a-dream. I actually contemplated selling my blur

Really, now that i am aware of the shorter fork, I have been concentrating on trying to feel any excess twitchiness and feel none (yea!)

The Fetish has been the bike of choice lately, since my winter rides on dirt consist of fire road and mellow single track. I was joking about the blur 4 sale thing, as I don't see riding the epics in tahoe on my SS!

-r
    =--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=
    frenzied

Retrograde Customs
    well they finally came today. my new discipline and fixation. rebuilt the wheels for the light one. the red one is gonna be my light xc bike, the fixation is gonna be my ss of course and my old white one is just gonna be another bike, the one i don't mind riding in the rain.

Retrograde Customs
    here's a cool picture.

Kearsarge crawler
    Has anyone else had a problem of the rear wheel not staying put in the dropouts of a Discipline frame? Mine is set up as a singlespeed and no matter how tight the skewer is the wheel moves and the tire rubs on the chain and seatstay.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast