Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 334

Thread: fetish cycles

  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boombastico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    40
    thanks, this will be my first build so i am pretty excited, besides i have had this frame sitting in my room for about 6 months and it is starting to drive me crazy, but i guess that is what happens when you are a broke college student trying to build a bike

  2. #102
    Retrograde Customs
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by boombastico
    thanks, this will be my first build so i am pretty excited, besides i have had this frame sitting in my room for about 6 months and it is starting to drive me crazy, but i guess that is what happens when you are a broke college student trying to build a bike
    yeah i hear that i had this fixation sitting for a while too and now my old discipline frame is sitting now. still have a bunch of upgrades in mind but those are gonna have to wait, i have to pay some attention to my car now and some other things before i can build more bikes.
    Retrograde Customs

  3. #103
    get down!
    Reputation: cjh_mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    325
    I bought a fixation frame... $150 with $40 shipping off of ebay. Looked like a great frame... 4.5lbs, great looking welds. I have a manitou black, easton ec70 stem, hayes hxm1 mech discs, some others on the way. Won't start building it till august though.

    by the way - i'm looking for a single speed crankset/BB combo... for 100 dollars or less anybody got a solution?

  4. #104
    Retrograde Customs
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    I bought a fixation frame... $150 with $40 shipping off of ebay. Looked like a great frame... 4.5lbs, great looking welds. I have a manitou black, easton ec70 stem, hayes hxm1 mech discs, some others on the way. Won't start building it till august though.

    by the way - i'm looking for a single speed crankset/BB combo... for 100 dollars or less anybody got a solution?
    you can do it ebay. dunno what all you're gonna find with a bb for that price. i got my north shore xs set for under 100 shipped.
    Retrograde Customs

  5. #105
    get down!
    Reputation: cjh_mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by dansjustchillin
    you can do it ebay. dunno what all you're gonna find with a bb for that price. i got my north shore xs set for under 100 shipped.
    well i've found this:


    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

    but from the reviews I've read the BB is not that good? I only weigh 135lbs though, I won't be putting much stress on any of the bike parts. I'm thinking that even if it is a POS, i'm practically getting it for free at that price and i can replace it for $30-40 with a decent shimano BB. thoughts?

  6. #106
    get down!
    Reputation: cjh_mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    325
    also- a little advice needed - will this work with a fixation? (link )

    The fixation takes a 68/113mm BB correct?

    I've never put together a crankset before so i'm a little under the know.

  7. #107
    Retrograde Customs
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    704
    the firex is a better crankset and yes the bb shell is 68mm. i'm running a race face taperlock bb on mine. i like the adjustable cups.
    Retrograde Customs

  8. #108
    Former Ninja
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    428

    my obsession

    Since I havnt seen any other Obsessions around here, check mine out

    Took a month of saving and ebaying, but the total bike was reasonable and good part spec.

    On the way are a set of new Hayes 8" rotors/calipers. For some reason the brakes i bought originally (original hayes) didnt want to fit on the fork...and the rear brake is the 22mm old standard, which makes things rather funky fitting with the horizontal dropouts and tall rim and tall tire, etc

    rear tire clearance cant exceed 5mm at any time .

    quick specs:
    Sherman Flick 150mm
    DT/Swiss hubs laced to mag 30s (20mm front)
    Nokian 2.5 NBX Tires
    Hussefelts with E-13 bash
    Azonic Shorty stem
    Surly 1x1
    etc etc

    Rides nice balance point is a bit far back, very easy to manual/wheelie. Single speed is cool, i do miss having a front brake though. lol


  9. #109
    Retrograde Customs
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by philw86
    Since I havnt seen any other Obsessions around here, check mine out

    Took a month of saving and ebaying, but the total bike was reasonable and good part spec.

    On the way are a set of new Hayes 8" rotors/calipers. For some reason the brakes i bought originally (original hayes) didnt want to fit on the fork...and the rear brake is the 22mm old standard, which makes things rather funky fitting with the horizontal dropouts and tall rim and tall tire, etc

    rear tire clearance cant exceed 5mm at any time .

    quick specs:
    Sherman Flick 150mm
    DT/Swiss hubs laced to mag 30s (20mm front)
    Nokian 2.5 NBX Tires
    Hussefelts with E-13 bash
    Azonic Shorty stem
    Surly 1x1
    etc etc

    Rides nice balance point is a bit far back, very easy to manual/wheelie. Single speed is cool, i do miss having a front brake though. lol

    that's sweet!!! i want to build one but i have a D&S and a Position next on my list.
    Retrograde Customs

  10. #110
    get down!
    Reputation: cjh_mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by dansjustchillin
    that's sweet!!! i want to build one but i have a D&S and a Position next on my list.
    Man, I can't believe the DS is only $250 on ebay!

    If FC ever becomes very popular (it seems like they will), our bikes will sell for way more than we paid

  11. #111
    Retrograde Customs
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    Man, I can't believe the DS is only $250 on ebay!

    If FC ever becomes very popular (it seems like they will), our bikes will sell for way more than we paid
    Yeah seems that way. i've gotten my discipline about as light as it's gonna get so it's time to upgrade to a D&S and i'm pretty sure i'm gonna go with a rigid fork. the D&S comes in a 17 like my fixation and i love the way my fixation feels with the surly instigator fork on it (447mm axle to crown) so i'm looking for a fork now too. the pace rc31 is lookin like the one i might get but i'm not sure it's gonna take my $hit.
    Retrograde Customs

  12. #112
    get down!
    Reputation: cjh_mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by dansjustchillin
    Yeah seems that way. i've gotten my discipline about as light as it's gonna get so it's time to upgrade to a D&S and i'm pretty sure i'm gonna go with a rigid fork. the D&S comes in a 17 like my fixation and i love the way my fixation feels with the surly instigator fork on it (447mm axle to crown) so i'm looking for a fork now too. the pace rc31 is lookin like the one i might get but i'm not sure it's gonna take my $hit.
    How tall are ya? I ordered the 17" assuming it would fit my 5"9 body perfectly

  13. #113
    Retrograde Customs
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    How tall are ya? I ordered the 17" assuming it would fit my 5"9 body perfectly
    i'm 5''9 too and i like the 17. the 16s are easier to throw around though for sure. my white discipline is gonna end up being for my gf and my red one will probably end up with an urban/trails kind of setup.
    Retrograde Customs

  14. #114
    get down!
    Reputation: cjh_mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by dansjustchillin
    i'm 5''9 too and i like the 17. the 16s are easier to throw around though for sure. my white discipline is gonna end up being for my gf and my red one will probably end up with an urban/trails kind of setup.
    mine is going urban/trails as well. I'm trying to keep it light too, though. I ride around the UC Irvine campus a lot and hit the hills on the weekends. I gotta start doin some more leg excercies to get my power up for the SS...

  15. #115
    Retrograde Customs
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    mine is going urban/trails as well. I'm trying to keep it light too, though. I ride around the UC Irvine campus a lot and hit the hills on the weekends. I gotta start doin some more leg excercies to get my power up for the SS...
    yeah i'm gonna keep the fixation with a fairly burly xc/trail setup. i'm debating whether or not i wanna go ride right now. might save it for later.
    Retrograde Customs

  16. #116
    get down!
    Reputation: cjh_mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    325
    is the rear disc mount set up so the rear wheel w/disc can be taken out of the horiz. dropout easily?

  17. #117
    Retrograde Customs
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    is the rear disc mount set up so the rear wheel w/disc can be taken out of the horiz. dropout easily?
    no clue on that one i'm running avid ultimates on mine. i've been thinking about discs, i need to look into it for the D&S when it comes.
    Retrograde Customs

  18. #118
    Former Ninja
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    is the rear disc mount set up so the rear wheel w/disc can be taken out of the horiz. dropout easily?
    i'm speaking from the perspective of my Obsession frame...but...

    i originally had a 22mm adapter and mount for the rear brake, but this lead to the disk rubbing the far inside of the caliper (not pads) and near impossible rear wheel removal.

    With the new set of hayes that i bought (with standard adapters), everything is easy as pie. No problems whatsoever.

    I would assume the dropouts are similar across the brand...good luck

  19. #119
    ~=SOME*CAL=~
    Reputation: zRockstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    231

    To the guys with the Disciplines...

    What have you been cutting your steering tubes at? I couldn't find any recommendations on the site. Will 8" be good enough? Thx.

    Z

  20. #120
    get down!
    Reputation: cjh_mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by philw86
    i'm speaking from the perspective of my Obsession frame...but...

    i originally had a 22mm adapter and mount for the rear brake, but this lead to the disk rubbing the far inside of the caliper (not pads) and near impossible rear wheel removal.

    With the new set of hayes that i bought (with standard adapters), everything is easy as pie. No problems whatsoever.

    I would assume the dropouts are similar across the brand...good luck
    The fixation frame is SS specific and has horizontal dropouts... the Obsession frame has regular vertical dropouts.

  21. #121
    Retrograde Customs
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    The fixation frame is SS specific and has horizontal dropouts... the Obsession frame has regular vertical dropouts.
    the obsession and fixation have the same dropouts bro.
    Retrograde Customs

  22. #122
    Retrograde Customs
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by zRockstar
    What have you been cutting your steering tubes at? I couldn't find any recommendations on the site. Will 8" be good enough? Thx.

    Z
    mine are all 9''. 8'' might work but i think it'll be really tight.
    Retrograde Customs

  23. #123
    get down!
    Reputation: cjh_mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by dansjustchillin
    the obsession and fixation have the same dropouts bro.
    doh, I thought to myself he was talking about the disciple frame. thought we were comparing the hardtails.

    the obsession frame is a concept... I wonder how it works out on the trail.

  24. #124
    Retrograde Customs
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    doh, I thought to myself he was talking about the disciple frame. thought we were comparing the hardtails.

    the obsession frame is a concept... I wonder how it works out on the trail.
    yeah i gotta pick up a D&S before i go there. i gotta catch up on alot of other builds too. i almost got my Ibis together today. need a fork.
    Retrograde Customs

  25. #125
    get down!
    Reputation: cjh_mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    325
    duplicate post from SS forum...

    A couple hours and a couple beers later, i've built the front end and brakes on my new bike. This is my first time building a bike myself... Fetish cycles Fixation frame, manitou black fork, azonic wf handlebars, easton stem and FSA pig headset. It came out right the first time, spins perfectly. Just finishing setting up the hayes hmx-1 mech's. Next step is putting together the crank. I just got the arms in today, so i'll start that in about an hour. Here's some pics





  26. #126
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boombastico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    40

    my new discipline- finally

    to all the naysayers who thought i would never finish my bike, here it is
    Attached Images Attached Images

  27. #127
    Retrograde Customs
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by boombastico
    to all the naysayers who thought i would never finish my bike, here it is
    That's nice man. you gotta get some more red on there to really set it off
    Retrograde Customs

  28. #128
    Former Ninja
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    doh, I thought to myself he was talking about the disciple frame. thought we were comparing the hardtails.

    the obsession frame is a concept... I wonder how it works out on the trail.

    i've been doing a lot of trail riding (single speed, 32 x 18t) and as long as you dont have any steep climbs i've had no problems. I'm 5' 11" with the small frame...and mag 30s/nokian 2.5s...and a 6" sherman. Its lots of fun to struggle a little uphill, but everything is a blast downhill or in the rough stuff...or any time theres a moderate rock drop. hehe
    Attached Images Attached Images

  29. #129
    get down!
    Reputation: cjh_mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    325
    i've bought some sun SOS rims with surly hubs... they should be built next week and then I'll have my fixation done.

    till then keep them comin

  30. #130
    Retrograde Customs
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    704
    here's a few new ones. everyone that like their fetish as much as i like mine should PM me i have a group you might be interested in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Retrograde Customs

  31. #131
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jroymcd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    33
    just got my discipline in today. it looks nice but, i should got a different color. mine came black anodized with no clear just stickers slapped on after the finish. anybody else get on like this? do the stickers stay on?

  32. #132
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boombastico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by jroymcd
    just got my discipline in today. it looks nice but, i should got a different color. mine came black anodized with no clear just stickers slapped on after the finish. anybody else get on like this? do the stickers stay on?
    i have a red discipline, that i got around january and it has a clear over the stickers.

  33. #133
    get down!
    Reputation: cjh_mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by jroymcd
    just got my discipline in today. it looks nice but, i should got a different color. mine came black anodized with no clear just stickers slapped on after the finish. anybody else get on like this? do the stickers stay on?
    my 'black' fixation frame (its actually a dark blue, looks good though) has those decal things. Makes it look kind of cheap.

  34. #134
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jroymcd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    my 'black' fixation frame (its actually a dark blue, looks good though) has those decal things. Makes it look kind of cheap.
    yeah, thats what i thought also. do the decals stay on? my should be done this weekend
    Last edited by jroymcd; 09-14-2005 at 09:44 PM.

  35. #135
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jroymcd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    33
    just finished putting it together
    Attached Images Attached Images

  36. #136
    get down!
    Reputation: cjh_mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    325
    nice bike jroy... I like it a lot.

    heres mine, just finished a couple days ago



  37. #137
    ~=SOME*CAL=~
    Reputation: zRockstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    231
    I'm going to have pictures here in a few days of mine after I put the finishing touches on the build. Here's the specs:

    Frame: White Fetish Disipline
    Fork: Marzocchi Marathon SL
    Stem: Thompson Elite
    Handlebars: FSA XC190
    Grips: WTB
    Headset: FSA Orbit X
    Shifters: Shimano LX
    Brake Levers: Shimano XT Hydraulic
    Front Derailluer: Shimano XT
    Rear Derailluer: Shimano XT
    Brakes: Shimano 765 XT Hydraulic
    Cranks: 2pc Shimano 765 XT
    Chain: Shimano XTR
    Seatpost: Thompson Elite
    Seat: WTB Laser V Team
    Rims: Mavic 819
    Spokes: DT Swiss Competition
    Hubs: Shimano XT centerlock
    Cassette: Shimano XT

    All parts are brand new, and never ridden. I will post pictures of it in all its beauty before I thrash it.
    Last edited by zRockstar; 09-23-2005 at 11:40 PM.

  38. #138
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jroymcd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    33
    first ride on my fetish I washed and broke my arm. not sure how i will feel getting bak on it after i heel.

  39. #139
    ~=SOME*CAL=~
    Reputation: zRockstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    231
    Damn, sorry to hear that man. Get well and back on the trail asap!

  40. #140
    ground hugger
    Reputation: mizunole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by dansjustchillin
    still waiting for ti bb and my al crank bolts but it's coming along nicely i've got it almost where i want it.
    how did you get the king headset to fit the integrated head tube?

    I have a D&S coming, and it would be a nice option.

  41. #141
    Retrograde Customs
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by mizunole
    how did you get the king headset to fit the integrated head tube?

    I have a D&S coming, and it would be a nice option.
    the discipline does not have an integrated head tube.
    Retrograde Customs

  42. #142
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ottoreni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,043

    D&S Owners?

    Hey D&S Model riders, what travel fork are you running?

    I know the frame is designed around an 80mm travel fork, but I want more, I am thinking putting a 100mm fork.
    If the steering feels too slow, I will reduce the travel to 90mm to see how she feels.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

  43. #143
    ground hugger
    Reputation: mizunole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni
    Hey D&S Model riders, what travel fork are you running?

    I know the frame is designed around an 80mm travel fork, but I want more, I am thinking putting a 100mm fork.
    If the steering feels too slow, I will reduce the travel to 90mm to see how she feels.
    I am still building mine up (actually waiting on the frame from Bargain Basement Bikes a'la ebay.) I am going to build it around 100mm fork from my old bike and a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST. I'll send pics when it's done with descriptions of the ride.

  44. #144
    ground hugger
    Reputation: mizunole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by dansjustchillin
    Yeah seems that way. i've gotten my discipline about as light as it's gonna get so it's time to upgrade to a D&S and i'm pretty sure i'm gonna go with a rigid fork. the D&S comes in a 17 like my fixation and i love the way my fixation feels with the surly instigator fork on it (447mm axle to crown) so i'm looking for a fork now too. the pace rc31 is lookin like the one i might get but i'm not sure it's gonna take my $hit.
    Did you ever have a chance to build up the D&S?

  45. #145
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ottoreni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,043

    Which D&S?

    Just curious about which D&S frames you have. I have an older one with the solid white letters and it does not have the Zonal Tubing Decal.

    Now I see the ones on Ebay have ornate lettering, but I have read that these just have a sticker that is not clear coated. Is this true?

    I really would like to see one completely built up.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

  46. #146
    ground hugger
    Reputation: mizunole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni
    Just curious about which D&S frames you have. I have an older one with the solid white letters and it does not have the Zonal Tubing Decal.

    Now I see the ones on Ebay have ornate lettering, but I have read that these just have a sticker that is not clear coated. Is this true?

    I really would like to see one completely built up.
    That's funny, I was just on Ridefetish .com and my email booped with your message. I am still waiting on my frame ($200 on ebay new 05 purchased from desert bicycles) It does not have the fancy lettering but I think it has the columbus sticker.

    I will post as my project goes along.

    In the meantime check out some of the D&S bikes on ridefetish. (still don't think they can hang with Dan'sjustchillin as far as the custom make factor is concerned.

  47. #147
    Retrograde Customs
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by mizunole
    Did you ever have a chance to build up the D&S?
    not yet i'm lacking the funding for such things at the moment. when i do get the frame i'm gonna get a pace rc-31 on it at the same time. i put most of the stuff from my red discipline on my fixation so i'm gonna start from scratch when i finnally get to build a D&S. i think the end result will be good though.
    Retrograde Customs

  48. #148
    ground hugger
    Reputation: mizunole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    136
    Just an anodized FYI, purelycustom.com has some low tech parts for cheap.

  49. #149
    Retrograde Customs
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by mizunole
    Just an anodized FYI, purelycustom.com has some low tech parts for cheap.
    once i get back on my feet an start building again i'm gonna order some top caps and spacers from them probably. that's some good stuff.
    Retrograde Customs

  50. #150
    Retrograde Customs
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    704

    Update

    here's the latest picture of my fixation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fetish Cycles a Scam Operation?
    By weltyed in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-24-2005, 04:58 PM
  2. Fetish Cycles hardtail frames???
    By COmtbiker12 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-15-2004, 12:43 PM
  3. Fetish Cycles?
    By Ottoreni in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-14-2004, 08:32 PM
  4. Anyone Know About FETISH CYCLES?
    By Bartman in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 02:07 PM
  5. Vulture Cycles past and future
    By vulture in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-04-2004, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •