mtbr member

Evo and XCL or VF2 Ride Comparisons

Got back into mtb earlier this year and picked up a 2008 Chumba Evo. I mainly do rides close to my house, fire road climbs and singletrack stuff, San Clemente Single Track to be exact. I'm not pounding hard, just a casual pace.

I'm really enjoying my Evo but thinking a XCL or even perhaps a VF2 would suit more my riding style and current needs. For those who've ridden both an Evo and a XCL or VF2, I would love to hear hear some f/b re: the difference in FEEL between the bikes especially in regards to the type of riding I do.

Also, can I just transfer my Evo components over to a XCL frame, minus the 160mm shock of course (140 I believe for the XCL) or would you recommend not to on some components that might be overkill in build/weight?

TIA.
    Last edited by Jubz; 06-09-2009 at 08:52 AM.

it's....
    Evo is definitely overkill for the type of riding you do.
    Rather than transferring the freeride components over, sell the Evo and get an XC bike with matching XC components.

nerfherder
    If you can only have one bike then I'd consider selling the Evo for the XCL or VF2. I haven't ridden SCST but from what I hear you'd probably be fine on a HT there. If you can afford two bikes then I'd say an EVO and a VF2. The EVO really comes alive on some of our other OC trails - e.g. the ones with steeps and rocks. Oh, and fwiw, I've spent decent time on the first rev EVO and owned an XCL.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    Evo is definitely overkill for the type of riding you do.
    Rather than transferring the freeride components over, sell the Evo and get an XC bike with matching XC components.
    Ya, I was thinking along these lines also re: new components, though I think I have some decent components now that would work out on a XCL. I would have to replace the forks, and a RP23 would already be on a XCL frame, but here's what I have now on the 2008 Evo - medium frame, now weighing in at 33 lbs:

Answer ProTaper OS Carbon bar
    Chris King headset
    Thomson Stem Elite x4 and seat Post Elite
    Chumba wheelset
    Fox Talas 36 R
    Fox DHX 5.0
    FSA Moto X-Cranks
    Chumba seat, grips & seat post collar
    SRAM X-9 shifters & rear derailer
    XTR front derailer
    Avid Juicy 7's
    Shimano PD-M545 pedals
    Kenda Nevegal 2.1 DST front tire
    Hutchinson Spider 2.1 rear tire

Any thoughts about using the above components or replacing any specific ones more appropriate for a XCL?

TIA

nerfherder
    Those are nice parts. I think the areas for improvement would probably be the cranks and wheels. But I wouldn't hesitate to just do a frame swap with those parts.

Skinny front tire for an EVO though!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    No need to change the fork with the 36 talas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Poor
    No need to change the fork with the 36 talas.
    I was thinking that my current 160mm forks might throw off the geometry too much from the usual 140mm with the XCL. I guess I can always dial down the Talas from 160 to 130mm to help with that. Perhaps dropping down to 100mm for the aggressive climbs and up to 160mm for the big down hills, to take full advantage of the Talas.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Those are nice parts. I think the areas for improvement would probably be the cranks and wheels. But I wouldn't hesitate to just do a frame swap with those parts.

Skinny front tire for an EVO though!
    Ya, I was thinking the same about the skinny front tires. I'll be switching out both tires to 2.35's.

Thoughts about both being 2.35 or just the front 2.35 and leaving the rear at 2.1?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubz
    I was thinking that my current 160mm forks might throw off the geometry too much from the usual 140mm with the XCL. I guess I can always dial down the Talas from 160 to 130mm to help with that. Perhaps dropping down to 100mm for the aggressive climbs and up to 160mm for the big down hills, to take full advantage of the Talas.

Thoughts?

That's what the TALAS is for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubz

Thoughts?
    I had a 36 Talas on a demo VF2 I rode for a while. For some of the longer climbs, I would turn it down to 130mm. But at 160mm on the downs, it felt awesome I would imagine it would feel similar on a XCL.

Members who have read this thread: 0