BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

EVO new rear triangle.

Alan sent me out new stays a while back and I finally got to get them mounted up. I had to wait on new bearings to wrap it all up.

Why?

According to Alan, the seatstay was shortened and the chainstay was lengthened to lower the BB for better center of gravity (kinda high stock IMO) and help in keeping the front down in the climbs.

The numbers as I see them.
    - Adds 1/2" to chainstay and wheelbase length.
    - Drops BB height 1"
    - Kicks the head angle back 2 degrees.

So far I only had one ride out on this new set up last night. My initial thoughts are... I like the kicked out head angle alot! It makes the bike alot more stable at speed and works well for my fork set up (Mav Duc32 with a low A/C height). The lower BB height is a love/hate issue. I liked the higher BB height before for clearing boulders and logs but always felt a little front heavy and wobbly. The lower BB height is nice by keeping the center of gravity down (especially for my 6' 3" build) and lowering my bar to seat height relation but I get more pedal strikes and loose that extra clearance for the logs. It also seems to effect the drivetrains relationship with the suspension. It seems to put the chain more in line with the VP location so that int the granny there is less interation between the two, I like that. Flows even better under power in the granny than before. Climbing difference? I didn't notice much of a difference in the wheel base over stock. I actually found myself trying to eak more out onto the nose of the saddle to find the new center of the bike but I find myself a good climber anyways.

I'm not sure if this is an available option for others or if Chumbas just playing around with the numbers for the next gen EVO. I'm sure if this sounded interesting, you could drop Alan a line.

No pics, doesn't really look much different than stock. One nice little detail, Chumba has put a set screw on the drive side chainstay to cinch the left handed pivot bolt tight as added measure.

I'll get some more trail time in and let you guys know my further thoughts.

troubled economist
    (Old thread, yeah, but I didn't want to hijack the recent 29er thread...)

In the 29er thread, there was mention of this optional EVO rear triangle. BB height on the EVO has always been something I didn't like, so this was a pretty cool revelation to me.

Anymore feedback from anyone on this who's running it?

Thanks

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    I find I like the high BB and steeper angles better. I've since hung up the new rear triangle in my basement, so if anyone is interested to help me clean out my basement, drop me a PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Will this work on the old "slack seat tube" Evo?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by dayuhan
    Will this work on the old "slack seat tube" Evo?
    Dayuhan,

It won't - the c/s and s/s are different.

A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJ
    so if anyone is interested to help me clean out my basement, drop me a PM.
    I might be interested in buying that rear triangle from you. I have been trying to find a used one online without much luck.