mtbr member

Evo Front Deraileur Help

I just built up my Evo and I cannot get the XTR E-type derailleur low enough. It is running too high. I have never really dealt with E-type derailleurs before any pointers?

ride hard take risks
    Can you post a pic of whats not down?
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    derailleur 1.jpg
    It is on the 34 tooth cog on the rear and it still rubs the bottom of the derailleur cage. I also had to add a spacer on the outside of the derailleur bracket since the chain was rubbing it. Shimano says this is not necessary for a 73 mm bb shell.I have a no idea why this is so far off.

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by scoholofo
    derailleur 1.jpg
    It is on the 34 tooth cog on the rear and it still rubs the bottom of the derailleur cage. I also had to add a spacer on the outside of the derailleur bracket since the chain was rubbing it. Shimano says this is not necessary for a 73 mm bb shell.I have a no idea why this is so far off.
    looks like it's rubbing on the inside... tried limit screws?

mtbr member
    It is a bad picture but it is rubbing on the bottom not the sides. If this was a clamp on i would slide it down more. I have never worked on an e-type before and i cant think of any way to lower the cage. This is only a problem in the little chainring. Is it possible i got the wrong derailleur. It is an XTR 970E. I installed it with the botttom bracket guide and the left screw bolted to the braze on but not the right. From what i could tell this was the proper way to do it. Since the bottom bracket guide was rubbing the chain i think something is wrong.

mtbr member
    derailleur2.jpg

derailleur3.jpg

Here are some more pics. I took the extra spacer out since i am pretty sure it should not be there. The first pic is of the chain rubbing the bottom bracket mount of the derailleur and the second pic is of the chain rubbing the bottom of the derailleur cage. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    I put on of these on my XCL and was having a similar problem. I'm not sure of this, but I think there is an adjustment. You have to take off the chainrings to access. You loosen a screw and move the back half of the derailleur down????
    On the other hand I seem to remember taking channel locks and bending the rear half down.
    That's my stories and I sticking to them.
    Good Luck
    Edit:Upon further investingations.... look to see if there is an oval nut that can be flipped up or down, this may give you more room.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member

See in the picture how two allen bolts are visible? One of them bolts onto the frame. The other act as a pivot. So if you loosen both of them a little, you should be able to pivot down the cage a bit.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

what year frame do you have?

From the pics it looks like you have the newest frame with the BB mounted bracket (ISCG 05) for the chain guide.

If you do, the deraillier mounts directly to the frame with out the e-type BB mount piece. You would disassemble the top portion off the e-type BB mount and just bolt it too the two bolt holes in the frame.
    Last edited by BMJ; 02-08-2009 at 06:04 AM. Reason: adding info

mtbr member
    i do have the newest frame. I tried mounting both bolts but the right one is too short. should i just go to the LBS and get a bolt that is as long as the other one?

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

Yes.

The new frame along with alot of the other brands are getting away from the e-type as well as the seat tube clamp type. Choosing to use the two bolt system and some new formats to alow the frame manufactures place the seat tubes where ever they want.

Definately get ride of the e-type BB bracket and find yourself a longer bolt. Works great!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help everyone. I got rid of the bottom bracket mount and used a rotor bolt on the right hand frame mount. It is pretty much perfect. A little rubbing in the third ring but my DRS will be here Wednseday anyways. Here is a pic of the finished product as of now. I got a joplin r seatpost but the remote clamp was machined too small to fit on any of my handlebars. That will be going back tommorrow.
    183.JPG