Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

EVO + Avalanche "Woodie" = Love?

Not totally lovin' my stock DHX-Air in the high speed areana. I've been getting what I guess would be a hydro-lock scenario. I get a hard thump every now and then as if I bottomed out but when I get to the bottom of the trail, I still have travel left. I feel the rebound is recovering fast enough, so I'm pretty sure it's not packing up.

I was considering a CCDB but I've been reading about hydro-lock issues with that shock as well.

Anyone have input on the Avalanche products?

ride hard take risks
    Havent heard much good about their CS, check out a Fox DHX5.0 Coil. CCDB is made by Ohlin but the price is brutal, I dont feel the Gucci status is all that.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Haven't had any issues with the ccdb in two years riding, thing kicks ass. Price is high though.

yarrrp
    May 2007
    i think you should just work on your adjustment for the dhx a little. I rail that dhx hard as hell and it seems fine. i just wish my wheels and shock hardware could keep up. nothing is perfect. but the dhx air is pretty solid if you ask me.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

Tried every which way till sunday.

I've maxed my comprehension of the misilanious ways I could set it up. It feels pretty good but I just feel like it's missin something . I've never had a coil over and everyone seems to think thier the cats meow.

I'm a light (150ish) and tall (6'3") guy with a high center of gravity and tend to get bucked forward easily by this shock, even with the softest settings. In the end I still have about 1 1/2" of travel left at the wheel in areas that should have used it all. I get a hard bottoming effect in the fast rocky sections and it never actually bottoms out, no where near. My thought is it's over damped at the shaft and wallowy in the mid stroke if I try to run the psi low enough to try to gain full travel. Even then it still doesn't get the travel.

I put in an order for the Woodie with independent high/low adjusters yesterday. I told Craig my riding style and what I was trying to accomplish. I also chose to go with a 7.5" eye to eye instead of the stock 7.875". This will drop the BB height 3/4" as well as lower my seat height in relation to my bars by an inch to lower my center of gravity and it will slacken the head and seat tube angles by 1.5 degrees to ad some stability. It will be interesting to see how these changes effect the ride.

mtbr member
    Keep us posted. I'd especially like to hear how the change in geometry effects things.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

yarrrp
    May 2007
    cant wait to hear ... what was the price if you don't mind

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by hardway
    Haven't had any issues with the ccdb in two years riding, thing kicks ass. Price is high though.
    we need to ride... down for a haloween ride on Sat??? Shuttled... Ooooooooo

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

No prob.

$615- includes shipping.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Just remember, go by craig's initial recommendations and give it a few hours to break in (doesn't take long, we're talking around 2 rides). The high speed adjuster has to be at least 1.5-2 turns open for the oil to flow through it correctly, and adding some low-speed can actually make for a good ride, as it firms up the bike on soft-g-outs and allows a good transition to the high-speed. After those few first rides, then you can play with the settings some, it eats sharp bumps like crazy, and it was amazing how it handled yesterday at South Mountain in the super-chunky stuff at high speed. It made my marzocchi 66 RC2 feel pretty cheesy.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

First ride today!

I got out for a short one hour jont today, lots of roots and baby heads to bounce off.

I'm used to a fast rebound and when I got the shock it seemed kind of slow. By the later part of the ride I actually found myself slowing it down. It still seems slower than I ran on my DHX-Air. I ran my DHX-Air rebound full open thinking that I was packing up on the high speed stuff but now I realize that it was the opposite, the high speed compression on the DHX was too harsh. As I suspected. This shock definately tracks the ground much better, especially with the slower rebound!

I'm not sure about the coil size though. Craig set me up with a 400lb x 2.25 spring. I'm currently running the max preload of 3 full turns to get proper sag, could actually use more I think. I'm thinking I need to get the 450lb x 2.5 spring so I can run less preload.

Thoughts?

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

Oh ya, geometry...

I went with a shorter eye to eye length than Chumba specs.

Let me give you a little bike set up background. I have my bike set up AllMountain with a lean twards XC. I'm running a Duc32 fork on front which Alan doesn't approve of, it's just that he's not a fan, but I like it alot. The Duc32 has a short AC length compared to many other forks and besides what the Chumba specs as a 14" BB height , it's actually 15" on my bike and that's with a short AC length! The shorter eye 2 eye dropped the BB to the 14" spec as well as dropped the seat height in relation to the bars by .75" and slackened the head angle and seat angle by 1.5deg. It was very XC twitchy @ 71.5deg before but much more stable now @70deg (still XC terratory). I did find myself smacking my pedals on the rocks much more than usual though.

I didn't get to do any radical down hill sections or steep rollers yet but I can only imagine that the new geometry will work out better.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

450lb spring in.

I put in the 450lb spring today. Feels much better! I was running 3.5 turns of preload on the 400 and still riding too much sag and bottoming a little too easy. The 450 has me riding higher in the travel and adds more bottom resistance with half the preload and has allowed me to open up the HS compression adjuster some.

It's a good thing I work next to an auto shop though. The 450 was .5 inches longer and required a spring compression tool to put the end cap on. They're jig was for car springs but we were able to fenagle it on.

I'll trail test it this weekend.

I will say so far, the coil set up is way better than the air.

yarrrp
    May 2007

thanks

which evo do you have? what size tires do you run? thanks for the r and d.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

I've got the newest all-mountain frame. I'm running Nevegals, 2.35 rear and 2.5 front.

It's funny, I used to have to run excessive sag in my DHX to get full travel and that put me in the middle of my stroke most of the time. I had lots of squat in the rear. Now with the coil, I'm riding higher in my travel with less squat and using all my travel due to the more linear nature of the coil. I'm glad I went for the shorter eye-to-eye with this new set up. Now that I'm riding up around 30% sag it feels like I'm sitting up higher than I was with the DHX with the stock eye-to-eye sagging at 40%ish. If I had stayed with the stock length on the Woodie, I'd probably be too forward heavy.

My current damping set up with the large expansion chamber of the Woodie over the Chubbie does let me bottom more easily, but that works better for my riding style. It's giving me more usable travel through most of the ride. I always seemed to be sitting in the middle of my travel and still having 1.5"s of travel left at the wheel at the end of the ride. The only time I would get anywhere near full travel is if I did a hard drop.

yarrrp
    May 2007
    I got a line on a 7.875 avy with a 2.25 stroke i am going to get sorted out to throw on there. I think i could just get a fat bottom out bumper to keep my seatstay from hitting the frame. Good idea?

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

You won't need to.

Quote Originally Posted by hairygut
    I got a line on a 7.875 avy with a 2.25 stroke i am going to get sorted out to throw on there. I think i could just get a fat bottom out bumper to keep my seatstay from hitting the frame. Good idea?
    You're only talking about a 1/4".

I shortened my eye-2-eye more than that and I still have room before the rear triangle would hit. I'm not sure what year or formate your EVO is (FR or AM geom) but you should be fine.

I considered gaining the extra travel but decided I'd rather have the change in the geometry to go with my fork choice instead.

yarrrp
    May 2007

cool

I will have to send the shock into avy before I put it on anyway, but i will let you know what happens when i get it mounted.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

Just back from a ride.

Me and my buds just got back from a nasty ride.

Large boulders with drops, bridges, rock gardens and lots of roots! Add to that rain and hail! Had a blast!!!

The Avy offers me alot more usable travel and it was very noticable in areas that I would have been bounce out of before with the DHX-Air. With the linear rate of the coil I'm riding higher in my travel and reaching the bottom of it's stroke more often. Not harshly though. I'm just getting it all on a more regular basis without the ramp of the air shock or spiking of the Fox damping set up.

Sweet so far!

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

Pics!

I had to mount the shock backwards because the adjuster knobs on the resevoir where rubbing the frame. Otherwise all is good!

My daughter likes the new shock as well. She says it's cool looking and even she can feel the difference when she's riding around with me on the top tube...yep the top tube. She says it doesn't hurt her crotch...I'm not willing to try myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Flying Goat
    dude... your daughter is going to go pro!!! XD

Sick looking rig as well... Why the funky bar setup if i may ask?

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

I'm tall.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    dude... your daughter is going to go pro!!! XD

Sick looking rig as well... Why the funky bar setup if i may ask?
    Chumba's large isn't very large, and I'm not very short.

I had these 2 1/2" rise bars sitting around from the late 90's and thought they were cool. Between those and a Mav stem spacer machined by a small shop out west, I was able to get the bar height where I wanted with little cost. The bars have no butting and are stiff as hell, but they point me where I want to go and hold the line. They'll probably never need to be replaced either!

I'd like to see a bigger difference between Chumba's Med and Large frames, especially in head tube length. Another 3/4" would have been nice. Really only a problem if your a Mav fan or hate a mile of spacers on a regular fork.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by BMJ
    I went with a shorter eye to eye length than Chumba specs.

Let me give you a little bike set up background. I have my bike set up AllMountain with a lean twards XC. I'm running a Duc32 fork on front which Alan doesn't approve of, it's just that he's not a fan, but I like it alot. The Duc32 has a short AC length compared to many other forks and besides what the Chumba specs as a 14" BB height , it's actually 15" on my bike and that's with a short AC length! The shorter eye 2 eye dropped the BB to the 14" spec as well as dropped the seat height in relation to the bars by .75" and slackened the head angle and seat angle by 1.5deg. It was very XC twitchy @ 71.5deg before but much more stable now @70deg (still XC terratory). I did find myself smacking my pedals on the rocks much more than usual though.

I didn't get to do any radical down hill sections or steep rollers yet but I can only imagine that the new geometry will work out better.
    What is the eye-to-eye you are running? If you need the BB lower - I will have a solution in a few weeks.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    Hey Alan,
    I'm running a 7.5".
    Works out well so far. I sit so much higher with the coil over the air that it's like I didn't change anything. I'm glad that I did make the change, I probably would be sitting to high in relation to my bars if I hadn't.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by BMJ
    Hey Alan,
    I'm running a 7.5".
    Works out well so far. I sit so much higher with the coil over the air that it's like I didn't change anything. I'm glad that I did make the change, I probably would be sitting to high in relation to my bars if I hadn't.
    I can drop your BB another 1/2 inch. Call or e-mail me in about 2-3 weeks. Of course, you're gonna have to give me that mini-EVO. j/k...

A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast