Thread: Engin Cycles

mtbr member

Engin Cycles

Just wondering if anyone on here is riding an Engin or talked with owner Drew Guldalian before. I really liked what I saw on his website and would love to collaborate on a project with him in the future. Hoping someone here might have some info they are willing to share.

mtbr member
    Try asking in the 29er forum as well.

Mark

mtbr member

You might want to send this member a PM...

Quote Originally Posted by Cranked
    Just wondering if anyone on here is riding an Engin or talked with owner Drew Guldalian before. I really liked what I saw on his website and would love to collaborate on a project with him in the future. Hoping someone here might have some info they are willing to share.
    it appears that he owns two of them.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=Engin
    NEW ENGIN: Number Two

mtbr member
    Many thanks my good men. I appreciate the good leads. I could tell Drew was on the ss/29er side of things, but I really would love to do a geared 26er with an integrated steel seatpost similar to top level road/xc frames. I should probably just call him and touch base, but if he super busy and dosen't do unusual request I don't want to waste his time. At the same time I remember thinking about a Vanilla a couple years ago and now you can't get one! I'm not in a rush, but Drew won a very prestigous award and I can't help but think thats great pr for small builder like Engin.

mtbr member
    Drew is very accommodating and a real pro, so I'd recommend getting on the phone and seeing what he thinks about your idea.

The biggest issue with an 'integrated' seatpost in steel, is that you'd have to use a downtube and most of those are only 670 or so millimetres long.

So, finding the right tube for the job would be the tough part, but not impossible.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member
    Good insight on tubing lenght Thylacine, I wondered why I'de nevre seen it done even for show oriented bikes like Handmade Bicycle show, and that could be part of it. On the plus side I'm 5-7 and like small bikes. Curious what additional weight it might add too, although that is not a driving force in my build. Kinda have something in my head I love to see come to life.

mtbr member
    It's been done many times before, even recently with the DeSalvo built Vanilla Speedwagen Cyclocross frames. The version at last years show even had an integrated stem which I thought was one of the real highlights. Nothing says 'custom' like not being able to adjust your bars or seat!
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member
    Ha.. I like your take on "custom". I guess mine is more "artistic" both literally and figuretively. I'de like to take all of my favorite things and pull them together in one bike that is totally unlike anything I have. Not to mention I'm getting older, less flexible and have less time to ride. So instead of taking a yoga class so I can ride comfortably maybe some goe tweaks would help a bit. Thanks for your help, I'm getting married in three weeks and with 9 bikes now, my girl is less thrilled about my vision than I am. But we'll see, I'm not easily derailed when driven from within. Take care.

My Ass is My Pilot
    I used to live in Philly and work for Drew. I went back home for a wedding and borrowed HIS own bike for two days on the trails. Having never really ridden a 29'er for any more time then a parking lot,I was in Love. That bike handled like a BMX bike. It flicked,jumped and carved like it was a car on a roller coaster. When I gave his bike back(which I did not want to do)I axed him to build the exact same bike for me. Because we are the same height and have the same ape index,My new War Machine is more of a Time Machine. Why,because it makes me feel like a Little kid again. Just rippin' up the Bend Oregon Single Trak...He is one of the Last real Pro's.
    B.O.S/S Shampoo Now with More No More Gears! 34/18
    Ride With B.O.S/S

mtbr member
    sounds great do you have any pics? Gotta love a bike that totally make you feel like a kid again. Does Drew also own a bike shop in addition to building frames?

My Ass is My Pilot
    Sure does www.wiss-cycles.com is his shop in Chestnut Hill Phila,Pa. I have a shite ton-o-pics but can never seem to get them on this sit they are to big I think. It seems the more miles I put on it The more Smiles I get back. He also built the stem on it.
    B.O.S/S Shampoo Now with More No More Gears! 34/18
    Ride With B.O.S/S

mtbr member
    So I guess you went with the whole 29er thing too? I'm very hestiant to take the plunge, I'm 5-7 and feel comfortable with what I like in the 26" realm. Seems like a whole new world to try and figure out. Thanks for the info though..its appreciated.