mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Difference between 2007/2008/2009 XCL frames

I tried searching for an answer on mtbr but got nothing. If you had a chance to pick up a NEW 2007 XCL frame...would any changes in the 2008 or 2009 frame make you go for these instead? It's not like the frame I have in mind is priced less because it's a 2007, I just want to know if there's any significant differences to consider. It's got a DHX Air on it. Thanks.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

nerfherder
    I really dont know much about the differences but I think the 2007s had monochromatic finishes front to back as opposed to the polished rear look that they have now. My 2007 is ano gray front and back.

Flying Goat
    were there geo changes?

mtbr member
    error::
    MTBR is homophobic

mtbr member
    I think just finish changes. 2008 anodized models were covered completely in anodization. Powdercoat was orange or green? Ano gray and black? In late 2008 came the new colors and polished stays.

And check the signature
    MTBR is homophobic

Flying Goat
    wasnt there a change in HA?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Not that i know of

I think that hte bearings changed to double between early and late 2008 versions (the one with the polished stays)

mtbr member
    The XCL seatstays in 08 I believe received a strut inside the seatstay. Although we had less than a 1 percent failure rate on the frames - we beefed them up with hardly any weight penalty for people who wanted to use them for dirt jumping and shuttling. Also - the 09 XCLs received a set screw in the driveside bolt to prevent it from backing out.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have the full anodized grey (front and rear).. bought in Nov 07, so should be the early 08 model? I read on other threads that folks could use 8 inch rotors, but I couldn't. 7 inch not an issue, but 8 inch has a slight rub. Did the shape of the seatstays change just a bit?