mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Dean Duke - How does the rear suspension work?

One of the frames I'm considering to purchase (to match up to my AMP F-2 fork), is a 10+ year-old Dean Duke. Looking at the frame (pic below), the rear suspension doesn't make sense to me. There doesn't seem to be any pivot point, which would seem like it would fatigue the hell out of the rear triangle in short order. What am I missing?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    titanium is very compliant as it will flex at the chianstays and not lose strength over time.great frame yer lookin at

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by satarules
    titanium is very compliant as it will flex at the chianstays and not lose strength over time.great frame yer lookin at
    I started a similar thread on the suspension forum here...
    Rear Suspension, no pivot point - How does this work???

Relative to the Dean Duke, there generally have been reported failures? I would think those BB to chainstay welds would be under a lot of stress.

mtbr member
    Some of the new Salsa bikes have the same set up. Specifically the spearfish 9er, although the stay is carbon, I think. Go to the salsa website and they have a great explanation and diagram.

John
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

Slow But Still Pedaling
    The Black Sheep stHighlight (one of which I just ordered ) uses a pivotless setup somewhat like this but places the shock forward of the seat tube and uses a titanium plate to attach the stays to allow for more flex.

mtbr member
    I'm trying really hard not to be snippy, really I am.
    What you're "missing" is an understanding of how fatigue works. You know these also rely on metal flexing, and last a while...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    I'm trying really hard not to be snippy, really I am.
    What you're "missing" is an understanding of how fatigue works. You know these also rely on metal flexing, and last a while...
    Yep, I've pretty much come 180 degrees on my initial assessment of the inherent "poor design" of a soft-tail frame. I've got a 10-year old YBB on the way to me as I type this.