Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    You can look through MTBR and see how many popular boutique builders did their early work at Dean.
    And you can also see how quickly they left...

During my last wait for a warranty replacement (18 months) I think that there were two almost entire turnovers in staff. It gave them lots of new names to lie to me with: Week 1 -"Bubba almost has it done", Week 4 - " Tim has it next on his list", and so on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Sorry to hear about so many bad experiences with Dean, but I have found their service to be nothing less than exceptional!

Earlier this summer I noticed a small crack beginning to form on one the welds of my 06 Dean Colonel. One phone call and a couple of emails later, I was told to ship the back back to them, they would cover it under warranty, and have it back to me three weeks after they got it. FedEx dropped it off today - more like two weeks after they got it. They even paid shipping.

When ordering the bike, John was super easy to work with and guided me through all the options and customizations. Promised delivery date was eight weeks, but arrived a few days earlier.

Goes to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by YeahWhatever View Post
    It took Dean a couple of months to deliver a Colonel model that I ordered back in 2007. I expected the delay so the wait didn't bother me. I've ridden it over 3000 miles since then and haven't had any problems. Great Bike!
    Similar story here,
    wait took a few months more than promised,
    but the frame still looks and functions great after thousands of kilometers, and some aggressive riding that most other XC bikes would not allow.
    Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads..

metrotuned WoS

Cool-blue Rhythm True Story, Bro

Common question, "Wow, haven't seen one of those for years, Dean still making bikes?!" Titanium Dean Colonel Single Speed 29er hardtail still mashing the singletrack on the regular. True story, bro.

#willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Hey Illnacord, can we see pics of the whole bike? I'm a fan of the rainbow logo bikes myself. I have a Dean winter project that I'm still searching parts for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DEAN Bikes, WTF?-645818d1318315083-dean-bikes-wtf-my_dean_sml.jpg  

Last edited by Hardguy; 10-11-2011 at 03:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Distressing to hear that Dean fell on its sword here for the initial poster. Personally, Dean has been really good to me. I got my first Dean, a Duke soft tail in 1999, it has been an amazing bike, with it's only issues centering around its shock, a Stratos. Stratos went out of business, so service became a hunt. Luckily, Rissie Racing makes a replacement or can service yours. The Duke is tough, really tough. It has popped off car racks off road, been piled up and bounced down hills, rebounded off trees and and hit by a car. It still looks great, I look like sh*t. A little scotchbrite and WD40, a little rubbing and you have a new looking bike.

Since I have put over 14,000 miles on the Duke and it is getting a bit long in the tooth, I decided time to enter the newer realm of equipment. I ordered a new one from Dean. I am really intrigued by the new curved tube design and straight pivot link shock interface. John Seiegrist and Adam at Dean have been great to me, passing drawings and such for a custom fit. They are even doing some mods on my old Duke to update some fittings for more modern gear and an possibly a Roloff hub. They have done great work for me at exceptionally decent prices especially for custom Ti.

I own a facility where we re-build damaged aircraft, mostly regional airliners (small turboprops). Not a monsterious facility, but moderately large. Some project keep tossing you curves. Personal issues from a few employees can screw up an entire scedual. Not much solace to the customer, but you get more family like with under 50 employees, so if anything becomes an issue, actually firing somebody who is screwing the system up is a difficult action. I would cut them some slack on the judgements. Run your own business for a while, especially a small one before you cast too many spears. Anybody got a warranty claim, settled with, let's say Mavic for example. I personally will never buy a big company's bike, except for maybe; my kids. China gets enough of our money as it is.

I'd post a pic of my original Dean Duke, but my post count does not meet the minimum yet for posting links, you can see it in my gallery. The Duke is one cool bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've been riding a Dean Colonel for the last 4 yrs or so and have been impressed by the ride. Admittedly, getting the order right and waiting on the frame took some time, but I'm glad I was patient because ultimately i got a good deal on a sweet frame. Still havent broken it but I'll keep trying!

ss 29er
    Dec 2009
    My experience with Dean is completely different. I have owned 4 Dean Colonels: two 26ers and two 29ers. I've been riding Deans for about 15 years. Last summer I broke a 29er the morning before Laramie. It was the first time I'd ever broken a Dean frame and I'm a big guy. I called John at Dean. He asked when I could be there. I said about two hours. I showed up at about 10am. He let me use his stand and tools to take my bike apart. He rewelded the frame for me while I waited, and I now have another 1000 off-road miles on the bike with no problems. It's the best customer service I've ever received - and I started working in a bike shop in 1984.

mtbr member
    Got enough posts to post a pic of my 1999 Duke:

metrotuned WoS
    Yeah Dogpilot! Original decals with a front WTB tire that matches the color scheme!
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    You know, I never noticed the matchup on colors. Of course I am usually on the bike. It must be some strange fluke, my wife claims I have less style than junkyard dog. I kind of love the WTB Velociraptors, cheap, tough and work well for the conditions here in Flagstaff. I toss them every season. But, since you pointed it out, actually match the bike's scheme. Now if I could only have the same accident with my clothing, which tend toward brightly colored flightsuits.

Seriously, I like the uniqueness of the Dean. I also have a 1951 O1-G, which there are only 300 left in the world, also unique. It is a hoot to fly and perhaps the slowest way between 2 points, but it always attracts a crowd when you land (which it only needs 200').

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My beloved Duke has developped a crack at the BB. I guess I'll get to experience the Customer Service everyone has been complaining about in this forum.

mtbr member
    I got my new Dean Duke in June. It was about 3 1/2 months later than they promised but really was worth the wait. THe new one does not have stickers, rather the logos are etched into the titanium. The new geometry is smoother and the bike just rides better than my other Duke (which I thought was great).

So you do need to ride them a bit, ok a lot, to get things done, but there are only 4 people there. I hear Da Vinci was moody as well. They are not unpleasant, just overworked.

You wanna go ridin?
    The secret to Dean is to buy them on ebay

Been pounding my Colonel for 11 years and thank goodness I haven't had a single issue with it

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    O.K, my DEAN Duke has returned from service for some chain suck damage and 4 cracked welds ; 2 cracks at the BB and one at each drop out. Much to my delight, they said it would take less than 2 weeks and I got it back in 1.5 weeks! They were super nice on the phone and emailed updates. The price was reasonable (I'm not the original owner - bought it 9 yrs ago) and they refinished it with DEAN etched into the Ti instead of new decals (which looks really cool). It looks like a new bike and rides as great as it ever did. I was nervous after reading this post, especially since the riding season in NM is far from over in Sept., but apparently they've gotten the message. DEAN gets a big thumbs up from me for their customer service. Happy trails...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DEAN Bikes, WTF?-dean-after-repair.jpg  

Last edited by s_hield; 10-03-2012 at 01:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

My Dean Scout

All you guys complaining about your Dean's and the customer service, I only wish I could be so lucky as to be able to complain about mine, after 17 years of riding over 3000 miles a year on my Scout, converted to a single speed, it got stolen 2 weeks ago in Oakland CA. I absolutely loved that bike, never had a problem with it(I did crack the drop out, but that was after 16 years of tough abuse) and only wish I could have it back. If any one happens to see one pop up for sale drop me a note!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DEAN Bikes, WTF?-img_4335.jpg  

DEAN Bikes, WTF?-img_0469.jpg  

[SIZE="2"][/SIZE]Mike Bonkey

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    A bike stolen in Oakland? How unusual! I have a friend who just moved there. He's had 2 bikes stolen since June 2012. One while he was asleep upstairs!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

i second that

everything mentioned here, i've experienced. what a nightmare. the owner seems like a nice guy, but just blatantly lies to your face. it takes 5 phone calls and emails to get a response, and when you do it's the same one you've been getting for months - "your bike is in stage x, will be ready in y amount of time". it makes no difference how long you go between asking the answer is always the same. i have never experienced anything so unprofessional. i hear he builds great bikes - if you can wait. but his customer service gets a zero. there are LOADS of great builders, go elsewhere if you want honest communication and a realistic turn around time. or pester him a million times and by the million and one you MIGHT get your bike. good luck. i thought i was getting a good deal, saving a bit of money. not worth it, my time is worth more than that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    2000 26 Scout geared upgraded w/ disc mounts
    2002 el Diente.
    2010 Colonel SS
    2012 Colonel geared
    2013 Tori cx disc

Daughter rides a Scout, as well.

Yes, John is frustrating. But his bikes must have some kinda mojo on me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Well I read through this thread a while ago before ordering a new Dean "El Diente Super Lite" and put aside all the bad comments because the Dean "El Diente" standard that I currently own is such a nice bike.
    Lucky for me here in Australia I ordered it through an importer, because after spending $3700 I ended up getting a piece of misshapen junk!! not a patch on my existing frame which I bought 10 yrs ago for $1800. Lucky !!! well as luck would have it the importer gave me back my money, phew I was so glad to give it back. So the new wheels, groupset and all the other bits & pieces will now go on my standard "El Diente" & I will just have to work a bit harder on losing the 200g that the Super Lite is supposed to weigh less.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hey bud,
    sorry to hear about that, but you have to remember that john is a human too. He has a family, two kids and a wife. I can bet you, you have never tried to built a bike by hand. Not only build one bike but at the same time build 5-20 other bikes at the same time. I'm sorry but you are no more than an impatient ignorant prick who doesn't have the slightest bit of empathy of other HUMAN beings. There is a reason that company has won so many awards. The quality of the frame is superior to all other hand built bikes. If you where really needing that bike now maybe you shouldn't have purchased a local hand built bike... Next time look for some factory built TREK from Sports Authority.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vitus View Post
    Hey bud,
    sorry to hear about that, but you have to remember that john is a human too. He has a family, two kids and a wife. I can bet you, you have never tried to built a bike by hand. Not only build one bike but at the same time build 5-20 other bikes at the same time. I'm sorry but you are no more than an impatient ignorant prick who doesn't have the slightest bit of empathy of other HUMAN beings. There is a reason that company has won so many awards. The quality of the frame is superior to all other hand built bikes. If you where really needing that bike now maybe you shouldn't have purchased a local hand built bike... Next time look for some factory built TREK from Sports Authority.
    I am sure John is as human as you or me, but hopefully not as rude as you. I actually love the Dean El Diente that I currently own. Unfortunately the one that I ordered had - The bottle mounts 4mm off to one side on the down tube (3/16''). The rear dropouts were 2mm (almost 1/8") out of line. The seat stays were visibly misaligned at the brake bridge by about 2mm on one side and almost 4mm on the other. For a top of the line frame this was just not good enough by any standard. So if (waiting 12 weeks) after putting down my $1,000 deposit for a frame at $3,800 with so many faults shows a lack impatience and empathy then I am guilty by your judgement, so be it.
    Oh and as a ps I have just bought 2 new great Lynsky 650b Ti frames for $1600 that are not their high end frames. They say they are made in Chattanooga USA & they are really good frames. Lynsky is where I would go were I to want another Ti frame

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2