mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Custom XCL with 5.5" travel, 66 degree HA & ICGS....

Is this possible? I hear that Chumba custom builds?

I have looked and waited for over a year for a bike with this geometry to come out.

Orange Bikes finally has one with these specs and it seems perfect, but it is only available as a 15 and 17 inch. WTF!!! I am 6'2" so this will not work.

I have always like the XCL, but I need a slack HA and I want to run a hammerschmidt and 5.5" would be a plus, but 5" is fine....

So, again, is this possible?

I know there are rumors of an AM/FR type bike coming. Will it be close or similar to these specs?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer2003
    Is this possible? I hear that Chumba custom builds?

I have looked and waited for over a year for a bike with this geometry to come out.

Orange Bikes finally has one with these specs and it seems perfect, but it is only available as a 15 and 17 inch. WTF!!! I am 6'2" so this will not work.

I have always like the XCL, but I need a slack HA and I want to run a hammerschmidt and 5.5" would be a plus, but 5" is fine....

So, again, is this possible?

I know there are rumors of an AM/FR type bike coming. Will it be close or similar to these specs?

Thanks
    I would like to have an XCL with 5.5 inches of travel with the same geometry. Can it be done Chumba?

mtbr member
    Interesting .. Couple questions - How come you chose Hammerschmidt? Also, what BB height? And yes, anything can be done.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Flying Goat
    possibilities are limitless... XD

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    Interesting .. Couple questions - How come you chose Hammerschmidt? Also, what BB height? And yes, anything can be done.

BB height I guess would be in the 13.5-14" range. 13.75"???...

I am not necessarily ready for hammerschmidt, but I would like the option. I believe this is here to stay and will be improved upon. Most bikes are offering this or updating to at least make this an option.

Regardless of hammerschmidt......I am not a fan of e-type derailers. Also I run Sram over Shimano. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I would be stuck using an e-type Shimano FD currently as there is no Sram option? Is it possible to use a regular FD currently or does it have to be an e-type.

Also, if I do not run hammerschmidt, I will at least run a 2 ring/e-13 DRS setup like I do currently on my RFX. The ICGS would help here as well.....

The 66 degree head angle would be based around a Fox 36 or similar axle to crown height of around 545mm like a lyrik. 66.5 degrre head angle would actually be perfect. This way, a person could still achieve a 68-69 degree HA if they needed to lower a lyrik or similar to do a long fire-road climb. An even better option would be if you integrated a design or internal sleeve change to alter the head angle like Corsair bikes, the new EVIL line-up, Commencal among others are doing....

Another cool option would be the new tapered head tube that goes from 1.125" at the top to 1.5" bottom.

This would also need to work with a coil rear shock as well as an air shock like a DHX....

You would actually be surprised by how many people want this type of geometry. People in various other forums have requested similar or looked for similar as I have. A lot of brands come close, but just miss out on 1 or 2 things that make it a deal breaker.

Maybe this could be a Chumba Slope-Style bike??? I am not into all the hype or terms (like slope-style), but this is what these type of bikes are being referred to, so whatever....

Good top angled stand-over is also required as the current XCL has, but maybe a bit more of an angled top tube would be good.

I like traditional round, tapered tube type frames like the XCL, but a little bit of hydroformed would be OK as long as it is not to dramatic or over the top like a lot of bikes are doing these days...

Trophy Husband
    BB height I guess would be in the 13.5-14" range. 13.75"???...

The 66 degree head angle would be based around a Fox 36 or similar axle to crown height of around 545mm like a lyrik. 66.5 degrre head angle would actually be perfect. This way, a person could still achieve a 68-69 degree HA if they needed to lower a lyrik or similar to do a long fire-road climb.

You would actually be surprised by how many people want this type of geometry. People in various other forums have requested similar or looked for similar as I have. A lot of brands come close, but just miss out on 1 or 2 things that make it a deal breaker.

Good top angled stand-over is also required as the current XCL has, but maybe a bit more of an angled top tube would be good....
    I brought this up in another Chumba thread recently. I like your numbers, but for a bike with 5 inches of travel 13.75" BB is too high IMO. My 7" travel bike has a 13.7" BB...actually my 8" travel bike has a 13.6" BB height . I think you'd want something a bit lower...say 13.0-13.2".

Also, don't forget the thru-axle rear end!

They will build anything you want, but money talks and bull$hit walks.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    I brought this up in another Chumba thread recently. I like your numbers, but for a bike with 5 inches of travel 13.75" BB is too high IMO. My 7" travel bike has a 13.7" BB...actually my 8" travel bike has a 13.6" BB height . I think you'd want something a bit lower...say 13.0-13.2".

Also, don't forget the thru-axle rear end!

They will build anything you want, but money talks and bull$hit walks.
    HI-

I agree with you and would like it a bit lower myself. However I do not think 13" is very possible. The current XCL is already at 13.5" based off of a 140mm fork. Change that to a 160mm and it will have to raise.

I would like it to be around 13.5".

Some other bikes are:
    Transition Covert (5.5") = 13.75"
    Transition Preston (5") = 13.3"
    Turner 5 Spot (5.5") = 13.4" w/515mm axle to crown. Fox 36 is 545, which will jack up the BB to probably around 13.75.

With the current XCL at 13.5" and comparing geo of other similar bikes, I would say that it would end up being around 13.75", but I would love around 13.5 or 13.6"

Trophy Husband
    HI-

I agree with you and would like it a bit lower myself. However I do not think 13" is very possible. The current XCL is already at 13.5" based off of a 140mm fork. Change that to a 160mm and it will have to raise.

I would like it to be around 13.5".

Some other bikes are:
    Transition Covert (5.5") = 13.75"
    Transition Preston (5") = 13.3"
    Turner 5 Spot (5.5") = 13.4" w/515mm axle to crown. Fox 36 is 545, which will jack up the BB to probably around 13.75.

With the current XCL at 13.5" and comparing geo of other similar bikes, I would say that it would end up being around 13.75", but I would love around 13.5 or 13.6"
    Sorry, I thought you were talking about a custom designed frame. Obviously, with a custom frame you could design any BB height you please. Chumba will make it for you...providing you pony up the dough .

FWIW, I had a production version XCL with a Fox 36 Talas. BB height was 14.0" at 160mm and 13.75" at 130mm.
    Last edited by geolover; 03-31-2009 at 08:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Actually I am talking about a custom frame.

Manufacturers know that riders always want a low BB. The fact that all these manufacturers have BB heights hovering around the height that I stated with the above examples reflect thought out engineering and result in bikes that are practical.

Sure I could have a custom one made lower, but with suspension, I do not think it would be practical. Currently I run 170mm cranks (instead of 175) and I still hit the ground more than I would like, so anything less than 13.5 I do not feel would be any good.

Even hard-tails hover around the 12" range....

Thanks for your BB height dimensions. Interesting that you are at 13.75 with 130mm when the geo on Chumba's site states 13.5 with 140mm.....

mtbr member
    I think Chumba needs the 7 inch bike. I would like like to see a 66-67 degree head angle, 72-73 degree seat angle, 17.50-17.75 chainstays, apprx 14" bb height. Designed with a single crown fork, Totem or 66 in mind, they could get away with only 2 sizes too, one with a 22.5 inch top tube and a larger one with a 23.5 inch top tube. Mini-DH bike and possible to get it down below 38lbs with out breaking the bank.

I have never put any thought into this, none what so ever.....

Trophy Husband
    Actually I am talking about a custom frame.

Manufacturers know that riders always want a low BB. The fact that all these manufacturers have BB heights hovering around the height that I stated with the above examples reflect thought out engineering and result in bikes that are practical.

Sure I could have a custom one made lower, but with suspension, I do not think it would be practical. Currently I run 170mm cranks (instead of 175) and I still hit the ground more than I would like, so anything less than 13.5 I do not feel would be any good.
    You and I have different ideas on what "low" is and what is practical. I would argue that manufacturers cater to those that like higher BB heights and the current crop of BB heights are an example of this. See...different . But, that is OK. I personally think 13.5 is too high for a bike with 5 inches of travel, but I don't worry about pedal strikes too much. Do they happen? Yes. Do I care? Not so much.

Actually, 13.5" with 160mm would be pretty nice...but 13.25" would be better (for me).

wuss
    I think the BB height on the XCL is perfect. I used to have a Preston and kept banging pedals. I don't mind the occasional hit, but on some paths they would just bang continuously. Looking at the numbers above this would meen that (for me) a 0.2" difference in BB height is enough to fix the problem.

Members who have read this thread: 0