mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Custom rigid fork

Hi folks i am after a straight blade rigid fork for my 1996 extralight merlin so as to replace my Mag SL Ti, and am considering a few brands that have what i am looking for in terms of aesthetics:

26" unicrown for Vbrakes without disc tabs, and wider close to the crown than to the hub.
    I would prefer Titanium but i think i would be dreaming... so steel is the way to go

As for now my research got me these brands that make or used to make what i am looking for:

IF, Hunter, Sycip & Retrotec

a few pics: (some with discs but you get the idea)

IF

Retrotec

Sycip

Hunter

I think that Salsa also does this kind of fork but with disc tabs...maybe in the past they just made them only for cantis, but i do not know...

The thing is that i am getting short of money for this project and cannot afford to buy it new: $300-$450 so i would appreciate if you know other brands that have/had this kind of fork for a smaller budget... or other expensive ones so as to look for them in the 2nd hand market

I promise pics when it is finished, right now it looks like this, but there are quite a few changes planned, (i know, do not kill me...the crankset goes to a cannondale)
    Last edited by lamparito; 02-19-2010 at 09:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You could check with Vicious Cycles. I bought one from them a few years ago for my Yo Eddy. http://www.viciouscycles.com/forks.php3

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks patk, i checked them out but altough they are straigt bladed they have the same thickness along the blade unlike the other brands

mtbr member
    U buddy of mine had a 1" rigid fork made for an older IF by Waltworks. Great price and a great fork too

mtbr member
    1993 Sycip # 5 custom fillet brazed w/ sycip rigid fork
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Custom rigid fork-img_8442.jpg  

metrotuned WoS
    i g l e h e a r t, Massachusetts
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout