mtbr member

Custom Builder: how do you choose

I recently put my order in for an Eriksen custom 29er. I have been nothing than super happy with all of the interactions I have had with Katie and Kent. My choice seemed easy because of what I wanted in the bike and from the bike. How did other people choose which builder to go with?

holding back the darkness
    IF...... Always wanted one.
    Completely visceral, non-cerebral, draw to their bikes.
    YRMV.

mtbr member

Here's some good advice for choosing a custom builder...

There are at least 10 super-gifted and experienced builders out there, and hundreds of inexperienced ones building at various quality levels (some good, some not). Here's some good advice for choosing one for you:

http://www.strongframes.com/more_stuff/choose

Have fun with your build!
    I'll be along... eventually.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I bought an Independent Fabrication. This was my rational. I love technical "east coast" riding opposed to western riding. I live in on the East Coast therefore I chose an east coast company who understands how to build an east coast bike.

Basically, I narrowed it down to Seven, Indy Fab, and October Handmade. October Handmade took too long to make and are now specializing in ti cyclocross bikes so I eliminated them. So it was between Seven and Indy Fab. Its probably a coin flip between these guys.

I choose Indy Fab because they do steel. Seven does steel but they really do ti. I use to race Fat Chance and owned an IF prior, so there was a legency. And finally, I liked the colors choice better with IF than Seven.

Could not be happy with my choice. The bike is exceptional.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I bought an Independent Fabrication. This was my rational. I love technical "east coast" riding opposed to western riding. I live in on the East Coast therefore I chose an east coast company who understands how to build an east coast bike.

Basically, I narrowed it down to Seven, Indy Fab, and October Handmade. October Handmade took too long to make and are now specializing in ti cyclocross bikes so I eliminated them. So it was between Seven and Indy Fab. Its probably a coin flip between these guys.

I choose Indy Fab because they do steel. Seven does steel but they really do ti. I use to race Fat Chance and owned an IF prior, so there was a legency. And finally, I liked the colors choice better with IF than Seven.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I bought an Independent Fabrication. This was my rational. I love technical "east coast" riding opposed to western riding and I live on the East Coast. Therefore I chose an east coast company who understands how to build an east coast bike.

FIX IT YOURSELF
    One more time for us
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

Wood chips are stupid

History

Ex hippies make the best bikes.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    whoops, my bad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I was going custom and read everything I could about materials, reviews from owners, and looked at pictures and just was drawn to the one I picked

I found out there are so many wonderful builders out there, so I was told to let the bike "speak" to me. I spoke with the builder I picked and felt confident he could make me the bike I have been wanting. Sold.

I am hoping the bike will say back to me (once made) "nice pick".