Plays nice with others

Curved Top Tubes

Very interested in going custom for my next mountain bike. Moving from a Marin Pine Mountain into a 650b or 29er is the plan.

I like the look of some of the frames out there with curved top tubes---the cruiser look---from builders like Retrotec, DeSalvo, Coconino, etc.

My question is, how does the curved top tube affect the ride, compared to more traditional mtb frame designs with straight top tubes? Is there any effect on handling, stiffness, fit, standover and/or clearances? Basically, are there any negatives to this design, aside from personal aesthetic preference?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a BlackSheep stHighlight with an upward arching tubetop. The standover is reduced because of this design but not to the point of posing a threat to my genitals. One drunken evening, my parked bike fell over twice --this lead one guy to conclude that it was a bit top heavy. Also you wont be able to buy a stock frame bag if you are into bikepacking.

I love the bike and don't think any of that detracts from the ride.

Plays nice with others
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    I have a BlackSheep stHighlight with an upward arching tubetop. The standover is reduced because of this design but not to the point of posing a threat to my genitals. One drunken evening, my parked bike fell over twice --this lead one guy to conclude that it was a bit top heavy. Also you wont be able to buy a stock frame bag if you are into bikepacking.

I love the bike and don't think any of that detracts from the ride.
    Thanks. Stand over is one area I'm concerned about, as my inseam is relatively short compared to my torso/reach.

Of course this is all conversation I'll have with builders at some point, but just wanting to get some initial info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep Huntwood View Post
    I like the look of some of the frames out there with curved top tubes---the cruiser look---from builders like Retrotec, DeSalvo, Coconino, etc.

My question is, how does the curved top tube affect the ride, compared to more traditional mtb frame designs with straight top tubes? Is there any effect on handling, stiffness, fit, standover and/or clearances? Basically, are there any negatives to this design, aside from personal aesthetic preference?

Thanks.
    I get this Q allot, as you can imagine..........
    It does nothing to the ride either way.
    It's slightly heavier, as it's hard to radius a butted tube, but I can do down to .028" for the correct designs..........but, were talking grams & not very many of them. I can weight one.
    It will not affect standover if it's designed with the proper standover to start with.

- Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

xc'er
    Dec 2010
    My only non-VRC ride is a Carver killer b. I notice no difference in ride, maybe a bit smoother but hey it's Ti so already smooth, at least no negatives. I'm a evenly proportioned 5'11" and have plenty of nadroom even on a large frame with a 130 fork and 29/26's or 650b's. I'm a fan of the curved, or at least bent TT. I also have both a Haro extreme(steel) and a team extreme(aluminum) and haven't noticed any drawbacks, unless not crushing the twins is a drawback