mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Critique this custom geometry for a 29er

5'11", 6'3" arm span, 33" inseam, mostly proportionate..well, except for the arms.

Here are my ideas for a custom 29er HT:

ETT- 24"
    Seat Tube- 18"
    Chainstays- 17"
    Head Angle- 70 degrees

Would this combo of short chainstays and slack HA be okay for riding in the Rockies? I don't like twitchy bikes and bikes that are slow and sluggish in the tight techy stuff. This is why I want the short chainstays and slightly slack HA.

Any ideas/advice on this? Thanks!

EDIT- Forgot to add that I'll be using a 100mm fork like the 2009 Reba with 46mm or 47mm offset.
    Last edited by Flyer; 08-17-2008 at 06:55 PM.

mtbr member

Flyer???

What cha doing buddie? What cha up too? What's this thread all about? Com on fill me in bro..CF..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Fred- how is that FS 29er coming along? I'm patiently waiting for pics

Haha- I am really tossing the idea around of a custom 29er, as you can tell....HT first, I think so I'm trying to get some knowledge/ideas from the geometry experts here. Strong and Independent Fabrications are the two that I'm thinking about.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Hey Fred- how is that FS 29er coming along? I'm patiently waiting for pics

Haha- I am really tossing the idea around of a custom 29er, as you can tell....HT first, I think so I'm trying to get some knowledge/ideas from the geometry experts here. Strong and Independent Fabrications are the two that I'm thinking about.
    No frame as of yet (still out at paint or It's on It's way)but you'll be the first to know when It's done I promise. I'll tell ya kid that stuff that Strong is banging out is the SH!T!!I mean I had one of his bikes as my screen saver for about six months.There is a thread or two floating around as we type,( I think the 29er forum and the Moots forum).Not that IF doesn't make pimp arse bikes as well.That's a tuff-e you got there my friend.I mean a REAL TUFF-E. I would lean towards Strong if it was me.Go find those two threads and look for EW greens bike(I think that's his name)when you see this bad boy you'll die...Keep me posted,and If there's ANYTHING I can do of course just ask..CF..

mtbr member

Hey Flyer,RW Green is his name,

Got o the 29er forum and It's all the way at the bottom( sorry don't know how post up link's) in fact I'll go reply so to bring it to the top. It's call "Carl Strong 29er bike info" or something close to that. Look for the reply's from RW Green and take a look at his whip.JUST 2 DIE FOR....Well to me anyway..Go see..CF...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'll have to go check them out right now. I'm not sure what Carl's wait time is so that may end up being the determining factor. I don't have the patience to wait unless I have a bike or preferably two to ride in the meantime.

mtbr member
    That geometry looks great - do you plan on using a suspension fork? If so, get one with good offset numbers and you should have a wicked fun bike to ride.

Bodhisattva
    those numbers look fine and are very similar to what I have on my Eriksen. It will not be "twitchy." In fact, I've yet to ride a "twitchy" 29er.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein