mtbr member
    May 2009

Cilo Swiss ... anyone?

It happened so that a friend of mine recently bought a new Cilo Swiss Expansion MTB carbon frame somewhere in Europe. He sold this frame to me, but I've never heard of that brand before. According to Google and Wikipedia, the trademark's owner got into bancruptcy in 2002, but in 2009 some company bought the name and became producing these bikes again. According to what I've read on some sites, Cilo was some kind of a "premium" brand

Being a bit smaller, the frame is amazingly lighter than my Cube Elite HPC 20". 16" Cube weights 1250 g, but this 19" frame weights 1080 g Power of science! Or maybe just Chinese framemakers went crazy

So ... anyone heard of Cilo coming back to life? No information on this frame on their new site. No information in every corner of the internets What's the frame origins? China or Taiwan?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Smart Sam
    Thanks for the link.
    BTW mine is with an adjustable seatpost.

mtbr member
    I do like the look of that Expansion, unforunately the site is still being constructed. Would love to see more of the range, can't find an online retailer either

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Sorry, the only cameras I have now are a phone and a laptop one, their quality is far from good. And my frame has a small scratch on the top tube
    But this frame really looks very attractive. The best design matching components (stem, handlebar, seatpost, bar ends), I think, will be IDIO white with black lines, they can be found on Ebay. Maybe Mavic SL and white Elixir CR with Goodgridge/Jagwire white hose Oh oh oh ...

But considering warranty issues and enough stiffness for XC racing, I guess, Cube is still better. And Cilo is more like a fred's toy (guess I used this term appropriately). Its exact weight is about ~1190 gr, so 100gr of difference with other carbon frame scares me a bit. I'm not a lightweight rider.

mtbr member

White out

Quote Originally Posted by denis.gorchakov
    Sorry, the only cameras I have now are a phone and a laptop one, their quality is far from good. And my frame has a small scratch on the top tube
    But this frame really looks very attractive. The best design matching components (stem, handlebar, seatpost, bar ends), I think, will be IDIO white with black lines, they can be found on Ebay. Maybe Mavic SL and white Elixir CR with Goodgridge/Jagwire white hose Oh oh oh ...

But considering warranty issues and enough stiffness for XC racing, I guess, Cube is still better. And Cilo is more like a fred's toy (guess I used this term appropriately). Its exact weight is about ~1190 gr, so 100gr of difference with other carbon frame scares me a bit. I'm not a lightweight rider.
    No worries regarding the pics..

Sounds like you're going for a white out look Had a look at that Idio stuff on Ebay, looks pretty wicked..

Would love to a see a pic of the build when done..

Regarding the wheels, just a thought but you might consider No Tubes Olympic Rims in white, Wheelsmith XL 15 spokes in Silver, ( the DT Areolites are available in white but are super pricey) and A2Z disc hubs in, you guessed it, White! Some red spoke nipples would add a bit of colour to the overall finish. This build would be lighter than the Mavic Crossmax's, just as strong and probably cheaper as well..

1200 grams for a frame is nothing to worry about, I'd rather spend more money on components..

All in all sounds awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Smart Sam
    Regarding the wheels, just a thought but you might consider No Tubes Olympic Rims in white, Wheelsmith XL 15 spokes in Silver, ( the DT Areolites are available in white but are super pricey) and A2Z disc hubs in, you guessed it, White! Some red spoke nipples would add a bit of colour to the overall finish. This build would be lighter than the Mavic Crossmax's, just as strong and probably cheaper as well...
    Thanks, sounds interesting!
    But first I will rebuild my Cube for the next season, and only after it I'll go white-fetish-biking White bike looks great, but XC is not for beauties

mtbr member
    Cool, love Cubes, the new Lightning Especially