Proud bike-o-holic

Chumba VS Pivot, Intense, Turner, etc.

Hello all,

I´m a proud owner of a VF2. As I write these lines it is being built up at the LBS. It will have:

XT transmision and wheels.
    Fox Talas 32 RLC fork
    Thomson X4 stem
    FSA XC handlebar
    Chris King headset
    And more stuff...

I will post pictures probably tonight or tomorrow.

The thing is, I was chatting with a friend a few moments ago and he told me "Why did you bought a Chumba frame? did you get a super discount? because they are not cheap and for a little bit more of money you could have bought an Intense, Turner, Pivot, etc. frame, which have the best suspensions around".

I answered something like this: "First of all, I haven´t seen any frame as great looking as the VF2, while researching for it I looked at Turner, Intense, Pivot, Santa Cruz, Ellesworth and many other brands and none of them make a frame are great looking as the VF2. Also I read a lot and they seem to perform very well and the customers are very satisfied with them and customer services is great"

Then he told me "When you shop for a bike, looks is not what you should be looking for, but performance, "bling" is for ladies, not for MTB"

So I said, "Well, I know performance is very important, but if I´m going to invest a lot of money in a bike, it has to look good to me!. Anyway, as most of full suspension bikes uses the RP23 shock, the performance should be all about the same, with some differences, but as I´m a novice in this, I probably wouldn´t notice a difference, and probably you either would you. I think a professional rider would notice certain differences, but you and I don´t have the level to beat a professional even if he would ride a 500 bucks bikes and we were on a 10,000 bike. I know your opinion is biased and in that order of ideas, I could have told you "Why you bought a Turner? for that money you could have a Chumba, which outperforms the Turner"

So I didn´t got a response

Ok, so after this big story, I would like to tell you I have never ridden a Turner, Intense, Pivot, nor my new Chumba, but to be honest I think Chumba´s products are very well made and they should perform equal if not better (depends on the ridder I think) than any other "elite" brand.

I have yet to try my new bike but I´m sure I will be very satisfied.

As far as I know (probably the correct term would be "As far as I think") Chumba is as good as any other "boutique shop" brands, right? or wrong?.

To put you guys in a better precedent, the guy who told me this is a 60 year old man who does nothing but biking (he´s retired) and althought he probably knows a lot more than I in this biking world, I think he´s not open to accept any more good brands in the market, as he is married with all the brands I have already mentioned.

But I think what´s most important in here is: He hasn´t ever never, seen and drive a Chumba bike. So how can you judge something you know nothing about? Go figure.

Sorry, I needed to vent

Regards

Marco

it's....
    You know what they say about opinions......

That said, I think the geometry matters more than which suspension design is used.

mtbr member

Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Marco
    Hello all,

I´m a proud owner of a VF2. As I write these lines it is being built up at the LBS. It will have:

XT transmision and wheels.
    Fox Talas 32 RLC fork
    Thomson X4 stem
    FSA XC handlebar
    Chris King headset
    And more stuff...

I will post pictures probably tonight or tomorrow.

The thing is, I was chatting with a friend a few moments ago and he told me "Why did you bought a Chumba frame? did you get a super discount? because they are not cheap and for a little bit more of money you could have bought an Intense, Turner, Pivot, etc. frame, which have the best suspensions around".

I answered something like this: "First of all, I haven´t seen any frame as great looking as the VF2, while researching for it I looked at Turner, Intense, Pivot, Santa Cruz, Ellesworth and many other brands and none of them make a frame are great looking as the VF2. Also I read a lot and they seem to perform very well and the customers are very satisfied with them and customer services is great"

Then he told me "When you shop for a bike, looks is not what you should be looking for, but performance, "bling" is for ladies, not for MTB"

So I said, "Well, I know performance is very important, but if I´m going to invest a lot of money in a bike, it has to look good to me!. Anyway, as most of full suspension bikes uses the RP23 shock, the performance should be all about the same, with some differences, but as I´m a novice in this, I probably wouldn´t notice a difference, and probably you either would you. I think a professional rider would notice certain differences, but you and I don´t have the level to beat a professional even if he would ride a 500 bucks bikes and we were on a 10,000 bike. I know your opinion is biased and in that order of ideas, I could have told you "Why you bought a Turner? for that money you could have a Chumba, which outperforms the Turner"

Ok, so after this big story, I would like to tell you I have never ridden a Turner, Intense, Pivot, nor my new Chumba, but to be honest I think Chumba´s products are very well made and they should perform equal if not better (depends on the ridder I think) than any other "elite" brand.

As far as I know (probably the correct term would be "As far as I think") Chumba is as good as any other "boutique shop" brands, right? or wrong?.

To put you guys in a better precedent, the guy who told me this is a 60 year old man who does nothing but biking (he´s retired) and althought he probably knows a lot more than I in this biking world, I think he´s not open to accept any more good brands in the market, as he is married with all the brands I have already mentioned.

But I think what´s most important in here is: He hasn´t ever never, seen and drive a Chumba bike. So how can you judge something you know nothing about? Go figure.

Sorry, I needed to vent

Regards

Marco
    Show him these pics. and ... if he has questions about performance ... tell him to spend some time here: http://www.chumbaracing.com/media.shtml
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Bling isn't just for girls anymore, it seems the guys on this forum are way more into color-coordinating their Chumbas than me!

Old guys are all the same. Around here all the old spandex riders are rockin out on the Ibis. They just must have that "all mountain" feel in a 25lb bike "and no other bike is as good as the Ibis". That might be true...but I don't want to be doing the things I do with my XCL on a carbon frame...yikes! I just got back from Moab and on a shuttle full of "elite" bikes, the XCL created the biggest buzz!

On a side note, the shuttle driver couldn't beleive that there aren't any bike shops in BC carrying Chumbas since it is such a BC style bike.

Proud bike-o-holic
    Not the best picture, but you´ll get the idea.
    I really like its look, but perhaps a Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow in RED will make a big difference.
    But before I buy that saddle, I´m going to use until useless the one I have right now.
    Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hello all,

Sorry, I needed to vent

Regards

Marco
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everybody and Chumba owners .

I am the old man , the biker who Psycho Marco talked in this thread , and yes I am old but with some years less of sixty .....too old to race , but too young to ride , not retired yet I am work as Human Resources Consultor and I ride two days a week my road bike and the weekend , sat and sunday I am going to the mountains in my mtbike.

And yes ( Psycho Marco and Me ) talked (e-mail ) about bikes in our main language
    ..spanish , but I saw that we have something wrong in the communication je je

I would like for respect to this Chumba Forum to make some explanation .

First of all , I never said any bad comment or something wrong about Chumba bikes or
    any bad comment about performance , design , geometry of the Chumba bikes , because I owned a Chumba bike a few months ago (XCL ) and I liked this bike , I sold this bike
    because here in central México , many mountain bikers are in the market for very good mt bikes , and for me is not problem sell my bikes because I bought my bikes in the USA.

I had have another brands and I like to try and test (not pro obviusly ) different bikes ,
    cause I like to see how perform the rear suspension of the bikes, four bar , horst link ,
    FSR , VPP , VPP second generation , DW link, ICT , Maestro , etc. etc.

I never said that Turner , Intense or Pivot have the best suspension around , I said that
    these brands have some of the last generation of rear suspension systems vpp and dw link, nothing more.

I said too , that I never buy a f.s. frame just because the frame looks very good or if the brand logo is nice or if the decals are good or bad , instead I buy a frame for the performance of the rear suspension, customer service , finish , loyalty, but for me the main ingredient is ; I never buy nothing if not try or demoe the bike before.

In my own opinion the bling factor is not important , the good looking factor is not
    important , for me the very important is the performance of the bike , I said too that , if I
    am looking for a Lady ( if I was young ) then the good looking factor is very important , or not ?

I said to Psycho Marco that the shock is part of the rear suspension system , but not is all , and I said that for me , in some of the last generation rear suspension systems is not necessary a shock like the RP 23 because the suspension work very well without the pro pedal feature on.

I know that Psycho Marco is novice to the mtb sport , and I tried to give him comments and the main details about mtbiking , not advice or recomendations , because is very dificult to explain all the details about to buy a mtb bike to a novice guy , I am always ready to explain to young riders my point of view of the sport and I never have problems but now something was wrong .

I am not married with any brand , and I said before I like to try different bikes .

And all the chorus just for asking to Psycho Marco a simple question .

Psycho Marco ,I sent to you two emails, I never let any question without answer.

Chumba riders thanks for your time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've got way to many bikes including several "high end" (Yeti 575, Ibis Mojo, Maverick) and the Chumba XCL is my favorite and the one (or maybe try the VF2) that I would choose if I was cutting back to one bike. Best do it all bike that I have tried. Build it lite or build it heavy and it can do it all.

Proud bike-o-holic
    Quote Originally Posted by the last biker
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everybody and Chumba owners .

I am the old man , the biker who Psycho Marco talked in this thread , and yes I am old but with some years less of sixty .....too old to race , but too young to ride , not retired yet I am work as Human Resources Consultor and I ride two days a week my road bike and the weekend , sat and sunday I am going to the mountains in my mtbike.

And yes ( Psycho Marco and Me ) talked (e-mail ) about bikes in our main language
    ..spanish , but I saw that we have something wrong in the communication je je

I would like for respect to this Chumba Forum to make some explanation .

First of all , I never said any bad comment or something wrong about Chumba bikes or
    any bad comment about performance , design , geometry of the Chumba bikes , because I owned a Chumba bike a few months ago (XCL ) and I liked this bike , I sold this bike
    because here in central México , many mountain bikers are in the market for very good mt bikes , and for me is not problem sell my bikes because I bought my bikes in the USA.

I had have another brands and I like to try and test (not pro obviusly ) different bikes ,
    cause I like to see how perform the rear suspension of the bikes, four bar , horst link ,
    FSR , VPP , VPP second generation , DW link, ICT , Maestro , etc. etc.

I never said that Turner , Intense or Pivot have the best suspension around , I said that
    these brands have some of the last generation of rear suspension systems vpp and dw link, nothing more.

I said too , that I never buy a f.s. frame just because the frame looks very good or if the brand logo is nice or if the decals are good or bad , instead I buy a frame for the performance of the rear suspension, customer service , finish , loyalty, but for me the main ingredient is ; I never buy nothing if not try or demoe the bike before.

In my own opinion the bling factor is not important , the good looking factor is not
    important , for me the very important is the performance of the bike , I said too that , if I
    am looking for a Lady ( if I was young ) then the good looking factor is very important , or not ?

I said to Psycho Marco that the shock is part of the rear suspension system , but not is all , and I said that for me , in some of the last generation rear suspension systems is not necessary a shock like the RP 23 because the suspension work very well without the pro pedal feature on.

I know that Psycho Marco is novice to the mtb sport , and I tried to give him comments and the main details about mtbiking , not advice or recomendations , because is very dificult to explain all the details about to buy a mtb bike to a novice guy , I am always ready to explain to young riders my point of view of the sport and I never have problems but now something was wrong .

I am not married with any brand , and I said before I like to try different bikes .

And all the chorus just for asking to Psycho Marco a simple question .

Psycho Marco ,I sent to you two emails, I never let any question without answer.

Chumba riders thanks for your time.
    Are you talking about a problem in our communication? or in my english? Because I think my english is much better than yours and in my post I explained things as they were.

As I said in an email I sent you, I have no interest in discussing with you whether Chumba is better or not than other brands, and I won´t go into posting this thread in the Turner forum as you requested. As you probably know, everyone has their own opinion and that is what counts.

I have no intention of establishing a debate whether Chumba is better than other brands, because in my opinion they are, regardless of what you think.

Regards!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Looking at the brands and models mentioned here... gotta think any discussion of what is "better" or "best" is really pretty pointless. They are all really good. What's best for any given rider at any given point depends on a whole host of factors, and what's best for one isn't necessarily best for another.

I think it's pretty clear that Chumba represents an excellent value.

Looks are totally subjective. A lot of people say the Evo is ugly. I admit the frame looks a little weird hanging on the wall, but I think it looks pretty sick built up, and I didn't buy it to hang it on the wall.

On suspension design... well, there's a lot of hype over what's newest and coolest but a lot of the talk is just talk. There are excellent bikes made with all sorts of suspension designs. Some people get a rush out of having the design that's getting the most hype at any given moment, but that really has little to do with performance. Not long ago I rode a friend's Ventana El Terremoto... that's hardly a cutting edge suspension design, but it is for sure one hell of a sweet ride. Execution is as important as design.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

OK I'll bite...

I ride an original Turner Burner with the Horst linkage. Its built up with XT drive train, Race Face carbon cranks, Chris King wheelset and a Fox Float. I had the opportunity to ride a VF2 and Evo in Bootleg Canyon, thanks to Walter.

I love my Turner, it climbs well and with slightly slacker headset I feel more confident on downhills that alot of other bikes. The rear is stiff and I dont' get much lateral flex so I find that it corners well. I can shift while climbing, which I would not say is true for designs like VPP. There are lots of reviews of this bike out there.

The VF2. Even though this bike had 1.5" more travel than I am used to it felt more like a xc bike than my turner. If felt more nimble and climbed better. A few times I tried just hammering on the pedals and did not notice alot of pedal bob. I'd say I get more on my Burner. I was intensionally doing this and not spinning the pedals. When I did focus on spinning rather than cranking the pedals, its fast and smooth. It felt a little more twitchy on the downhill than the Turner. Everything I'd expect a xc frame to feel and perform like.

I then tried the Evo. This bike was the really shock. The Talas 36 soaked up everything in its way. The geometry of the bike was very confident inspiring. I could go on and on how great this bike felt going down, couldn't get enough. The shock was climbing. The demo bike did not have a granny ring, just the middle. But I rode the xc loop at Bootleg and did not have an issue climbing any of it. There were times where I could feel my legs getting tired at the top of something. But this is a 160mm freeride bike that I was climbing in middle ring.

There was only a small XCL so I didn't get to compare it. But I strongly suspect that the geometry and feel of the frame would be a VERY similar ride to the Flux or 5 Spot. I can't comment on how much better the DWLink is to the Horst linkage.

Bottom line: I'm lurking on the Chumba Forums not the Turner one. Why? because I feel the Chumba frame is better value.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My take on Chumba

I have been a proud owner of a Chumba Evo for several months now. Prior to the Evo, I owned a Santa Cruz Heckler and a Santa Cruz Bullit. Looking the the frame specs on paper of these three bikes, you would think the Evo would fall in the middle for performance and capability. A little more travel than the Heckler(+6mm) and a good bit less travel than the Bullit(-28mm). I loved both the Heckler and Bullit and can wholeheartedly recommend either of these bikes as a solid value. Santa Cruz is a good company too! I have been a Santa Cruz fan for years and own a new Blur LT2 which is an awesome trailbike. The Evo has a completely different feel than any bike I have ever ridden as a result of the unique geometry mainly due to the super slack seat tube angle and the tall standover height. My frame is the slacker freeride model. It has taken me a couple of months riding to really become accustomed to the geometry. Now that I feel at one with this design this is my impression. I have never ridden a more confidence inspiring bike on rugged downhill descents. The bike holds its' line like no other and feels like it has 8"s of travel instead of six. It's hard to put into words but if you ever get a chance to ride an Evo on a downhill trail, you are in for a treat. Looking at the Evo frame construction you can see a lot of thought went into the design and shows a lot of detail in the execution. Immaculate welds, CNC parts are a work of art and the design is built to survive a nuclear attack. So, Chumba builds a very high quality product. Now, the thing that really blows me away is the company itself. I have called Chumba 4-5 times with questions or to order some spare bits like extra pivot screws, spare replaceable drop out etc... and also to ask technical support type questions. I cannot tell you how impressed I have been with whoever I have spoken to at Chumba. What a great bunch of people to deal with. They have all been super enthusiastic about their bikes and ready to go the extra mile to exceed your expectations for customer service. Give them a call with some questions and see what you think? I know you will be impressed with whoever you speak with. Santa Cruz is also good but reaching someone takes a few tries sometimes. I know they are a much larger company and are growing but there is a noticeable difference. Turner seems to have the same kind of excellent customer service as Chumba from everything I've read and from what friends who own Turners have told me. I owned another boutique brand, Foes, a couple of years ago. Customer service with Foes was horrible and I will never buy another Foes product based on the phone conversations I had with them. I guess it depends on what matters to you. I prefer to deal with a company that treats me like a king and values me as a customer. This kind of service is all too rare in the world we live in. Try it, you'll like it.

Proud bike-o-holic
    I gotta second your comment about Chumba´s customer service. Prior and after my purchase I wrote them about 40-50 mails (I´m not exaggerating) and I always received an excellent service.
    I think they were probably tired of my questions :-) , but they always answered with the same great attitude.
    Marco

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'd agree with the comments on the Evo's capability going down. It also goes up surprisingly well. I also have the older model with the slacker seat tube. The first few times I rode it I struggled a bit on steep climbs, but with some minor posture adjustments that disappeared, and I don't feel now that the bike is a liability at all when climbing. It's not quite the rush that you get from going down, but the bike goes up way better than you'd expect at first glance.

The high standover was never an issue for me as I have a fair bit of leg, but I can see how it could be a problem for someone with a different build!

"El Whatever"
    Not the best picture, but you´ll get the idea.
    I really like its look, but perhaps a Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow in RED will make a big difference.
    But before I buy that saddle, I´m going to use until useless the one I have right now.
    Regards
    Sexy... congratulations... what a killer ride!
    Check my Site

Members who have read this thread: 0