Thread: Chumba Thread

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Chumba Thread

I am glad to see that Chumba has found a rightful home in the Miscallaneous/Other category. At one time, Chumba seemed to be a player in the racing community, but it seems to have been relegated to a niche importer. It is apparent that it doesn't warrant a category of it's own in the builder section.

I have enjoyed riding my VF2, as it is a solid bike. Many of the challenges that consumers have experienced is with the customer service, and there have been questions over frame design on the new EVO. My personnal experience started out great, but quickly went downhill as I tried to adapt a 2x10 drivetrain to an older e-style mount. I have had to change to a 1x10, but without ISCG tabs, the bash guard doesn't stay in place as it is a bb mount.

I hope this thread will serve as a resource for those of us who are happy with their frame, but realize that we are on our own when it comes to parts and service. If you want to post any useful info on where to get parts, or have any service questions, hopefully you will find answers here.

Here is my VF2 at a log pile at Patapsco State Park in MD

If you want to throw up pics of your rig, feel free.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chumba Thread-morning-choice_logover_3.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2004
    my xcl with rohloff speedhub
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chumba Thread-hpim0664.jpg  

Chumba Thread-hpim0669.jpg  

No Stranger to danger....
    This threads not going to end well lol......
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    So can someone tell me has the Chumba forum that was been deleted?

Aside from the few morons that continually trolled, persistently taking pleasure out of any attempt at meaningful discussion and the customer service issues (I have had worse with bigger names than Chumba I can tell you!) I used the forum as a great resource, often searching out info on setups and component choices etc, sharing info and ideas with other XCL owners. Am I correct in thinking that this valuable recourse has been arbitrarily removed without actually asking anyone who matters, the other 95% + of Chumba owners that get out ride and enjoy there bikes?

I donít care that MTBR want to move it to another section, but please put a link and or an explanation and please keep the content!

If indeed the whole forum has been deleted it is like MTBR saying F#§k You! Chumba owners, you donít count.

M

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mar-deeb View Post
    ................. MTBR saying F#§k You! Chumba owners, you donít count.

M

That's the way it always has been. If it was the contrary, jerkchicken would still be around an Chumba owners banned.

Surfing trails
    I agree with Mar-deeb. There was so much useful information and detailed pics, build guides, suspension setups, what components worked well with Chumba geometry / what didn't, etc. I understand if mtbr killed the Chumba forum because of jerks that constantly trolled it but at least keep the tons of pictures and helpful bike build info for the rest of us Chumba owners to reference. Put it back on mtbr, lock it so no new posts can be made if you want but put all the reference info back on mtbr!

No Stranger to danger....
    I dont think it had anything to do with people trolling it, looked like the real troll was the ex owner of the company, and the actions of the company did not warrant a forum on MTBR.
    Just my opinion, i could be wrong.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

The White Jeff W

Re: Chumba Thread

So Alan is gone?
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Looks like there is some bad history with Chumba! I am about to order a VF2 from Alan, and we are talking at the moment. Can previous and current owners give me some advice here? I am also worried about the durability of the rear carbon link. We do rocky mountains single trails here in Dubai.
    Last edited by Samymtb; 02-16-2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: I was testing

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Samymtb View Post
    Looks like there is some bad history with Chumba! I am about to order a VF2 from Alan, and we are talking at the moment. Can previous and current owners give me some advice here? I am also worried about the durability of the rear carbon link. We do rocky mountains single trails here in Dubai.
    Stay away from Chumba. it's too bad all the threads have been deleted - otherwise you could see what a crappy company they are.

There's plenty of other companies to give your money to.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Samymtb View Post
    Run away. Run far. Run fast.

mtbr member
    Yes, for many, the Chumba experience was not a good one. However, people, lets try to honor the OPs idea. He has a bike, understands the limitations of the company but wants a thread to help maintain his bike. Honestly, I am all for him. For christ sake, we still have an Iron Horse forum even though that company was also run by a bunch of jokers.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Yes, for many, the Chumba experience was not a good one. However, people, lets try to honor the OPs idea. He has a bike, understands the limitations of the company but wants a thread to help maintain his bike. Honestly, I am all for him. For christ sake, we still have an Iron Horse forum even though that company was also run by a bunch of jokers.
    we're not responding to the OP. We're responding to a potential buyer. He has every right to know how Chumba treats people.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    we're not responding to the OP. We're responding to a potential buyer. He has every right to know how Chumba treats people.
    Exactly, thanks everyone. The customers has every right to express how they feel, especially when it comes to spending their own money. The feedback is very much appreciated. Although they seem to have sick bikes, but I'm running away!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Yes, but the way threads go, the OPs thread will be highjacked and head down the toilet. The OP did mention the issues with the company.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Yes, but the way threads go, the OPs thread will be highjacked and head down the toilet. The OP did mention the issues with the company.
    All I did was respond to a question. If your concern was truly about the thread being derailled, you should have responded when the question was asked, not answered.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I had an XCL and could not get a simple derailleur hanger and with that I sold the frame due to crappy service.

To the OP, I converted my XCL to a 2x10 by putting a 38.5 XO dťrailleur on and it worked fine. No shop will stock this but they are available.