Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Hope Callin all Curtlo owners

I'm in the preliminary stages of ordering an Epic Mountaineer. I understand that patience is of the utmost importance when ordering a frame from Curtlo; might any of you Curtlo owners be so kind as to post a few pics on this thread?

I figure it might just make the lead-time seem a bit shorter.

Gracias

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Glad to see someone else is in the same boat as me. I just ordered an Advanced Mountaineer (about 3 weeks ago). When I was talking to Doug, he said time to completion is about 10 weeks.

How far along are you? I can't wait.

mtbr member
    Here go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Nice!

Sweet looking ride! Why the short head tube?

mtbr member
    Asking because of the mile high spacer stack? When I took those pics, I hadn't cut the steer tube yet.

rmb
    mtbr member
    Here's mine, 29er with paragon sliders for Rohloff and guides, In 1x9 now.

mtbr member

My 03 Mountaineer

Very nice ride. Fillet brazed frame. Curved seat stays. But I like my IF Deluxe a little better. The blue one is a 02 mountaineer Solo with track dropouts curved stays and v- mounts, and the third one is I think a 92 Aluminum Curtlo,It has canti stop

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Quite the collection

Quote Originally Posted by chruby99
    Very nice ride. Fillet brazed frame. Curved seat stays. But I like my IF Deluxe a little better. The blue one is a 02 mountaineer Solo with track dropouts curved stays and v- mounts, and the third one is I think a 92 Aluminum Curtlo,It has canti stop
    Impressive line-up; I really appreciate you taking the time to forward the pics! My frame will have paragon adjustable dropouts, and will be prepped for (future) use as a geared hard tail; it'll be set up as a single speed for a while (maybe forever!)

Any words of wisdom you can offer for dealing with Curtlo? Anything I should be aware of or pay special attention to?

Also, how do you like your White Bros. sussy fork? I ride a Pace RC31 XC rigid carbon fork, but I've got a buddy who just ordered a White Bros. for his Ti Quireing frame.

Thanks again!

mtbr member

well

I have never had any complaints about my frame. I love the curved stays and them brazed joints.

as for forks, I love White Brothers forks. They are really a set it and forget it fork. the one pictured is a 05 XC.8 so it has a manual lockout if you like rigid. I also have an 00 XC-4 air sprung and air dampened fork that is also awesome. Very rigid forks, very easy to service very light weight. bothe weight in between 3-3.5 Not bad for a fork that has 32mm stanction and @ 8 inches of steerer. My next fork and most likely the one after that will be a White Brothers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I placed my order for mine at the beginning of February. On February 1, I heard from Doug in my initial "interview" about what I wanted, etc. He said he's sure he'd have more questions for me and that he'd follow up (which I assume means that at the time, we'll talk about how I want the cable stops put on, etc). He quoted me 10 weeks to complete the bike and I made my deposit. Now, 4 weeks later, I haven't heard anything from him in regards to the finer details or what color I'd like, etc.

My question is, is this common? Seems to me that letting 4 to 5 weeks go by without even letting me know where the project stands is absurd. I really don't want to bother him as I'm sure he's busy, but I'm beginning to wonder if he has forgotten. Any advice?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    at the risk of sounding cliche, "patience is a virtue." Doug Curtiss has a stellar reputation as a custom frame builder, and you're right, he does stay very busy. Most Curtlo owners I've been in contact with all agree one two things;
    1. Quality of the end-product is very good!
    2. Well worth the wait, and you will wait!
    I placed my order closer to the middle of February, at which time I submitted the required measurements, and also a few pics of me on my current bike. I have emailed Doug since then several times to "follow up" on the emails I've sent. Doug has always made the time to return my emails. I think that the "finer details" will be critical later on in the actual build stage, so I wouldn't worry much. Either send him an email or give him a call. Keep me posted on how things progress.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by New2SS
    I placed my order for mine at the beginning of February. On February 1, I heard from Doug in my initial "interview" about what I wanted, etc. He said he's sure he'd have more questions for me and that he'd follow up (which I assume means that at the time, we'll talk about how I want the cable stops put on, etc). He quoted me 10 weeks to complete the bike and I made my deposit. Now, 4 weeks later, I haven't heard anything from him in regards to the finer details or what color I'd like, etc.

My question is, is this common? Seems to me that letting 4 to 5 weeks go by without even letting me know where the project stands is absurd. I really don't want to bother him as I'm sure he's busy, but I'm beginning to wonder if he has forgotten. Any advice?

Just as an FYI - I put my deposit down on Jan-18 and was quoted an 8 week lead time (fully expecting 10+ weeks). It has been almost 7 weeks since then and I'm still waiting to receive a drawing / draft of the frame geometry to approve.

Thanks to all that have posted their pichers - it helps show that good things come to those who wait.

I wouldn't say it's done....but it is ready to ride.

Curtlo SS - 34x18

Boone Ti 18T

One happy family...

H8 H8 H8

Curtlo Support Group

I haven't laid hands on mine yet, but it's finished and on the
    way. Here's a sneak peak -
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    I haven't laid hands on mine yet, but it's finished and on the
    way. Here's a sneak peak -
    How long did it take you to get to this point?

H8 H8 H8

Wait time

Quote Originally Posted by Suds
    How long did it take you to get to this point?
    15 weeks.

YMMV

Also, this was over the Holidays, which may have had
    something to do with it.

ZB

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    15 weeks.

YMMV

Also, this was over the Holidays, which may have had
    something to do with it.

ZB
    Thanks for the update.

In that case, it is 8 weeks down (total quoted delivery time) and 7 weeks to go for me?

I honestly don't mind waiting 15 weeks for a quality and value product, but I would just prefer that this was told to me upfront.

Hope you enjoy your new ride once it arrive to your doorstep.

Cheers - Suds
    Last edited by Suds; 03-16-2007 at 01:46 PM.

H8 H8 H8

I understand...

Thanks for the update.

In that case, it is 8 weeks down (total quoted delivery time) and 7 weeks to go?

I honestly don't mind waiting 15 weeks for a quality and value product, but I would just prefer that this was told to me upfront.

Hope you enjoy your new ride once it arrive to your doorstep.

Cheers - Suds
    My wait time was significantly longer than quoted, but this was the bike I wanted,
    so I tried to go in with the attitude of "I'll get it when I get it." I'm not really sure
    why he doesn't just quote longer lead times from the outset, but that's his choice.

I don't think Doug puts a lot of emphasis on communication until it's your turn.
    Once my number came up, we went through detail design and two drawing revisions
    in about 36 hours. When it's your turn in the barrel, things will happen fast.

I choose to view it this way - The less time he spends talking and the more time
    he spends building, the faster we all get our bikes.

I expect we will both be very happy in the end.

Enjoy,
    ZB

mtbr member

'99

My Advanced Mountaineer
    I got it in '99. I've had a few shock setups on it and have now gone rigid. Kelly Disc. I LOVE this bike! Fast, Light and tracks like a Hound Dog!
    Last edited by eldogo; 03-30-2007 at 08:18 PM. Reason: New Pictures
    Just a lowly bike mechanic.

Specialized Enduro Expert w/ Double Barrel
    Specialized Gangster
    Curtlo Advanced Mountaineer

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Any of you kids have updates on your build? I'm in week 8 now. Haven't heard a word.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by New2SS
    Any of you kids have updates on your build? I'm in week 8 now. Haven't heard a word.
    I'm sitting approx 11 weeks out (quoted 8 weeks). I did get a chance to talk to Doug briefly on the phone at week 7 - at that time he estimated that I should see some progress, in 3 weeks - wait, that would have been last week. From all accounts, once your turn is up, thing happen fast, at least that's what I'm hoping for. I know the frame that Doug makes will be what I really want, so I'll do my best to chill and relax until then.

H8 H8 H8

Mine got here

I'm sitting approx 11 weeks out (quoted 8 weeks). I did get a chance to talk to Doug briefly on the phone at week 7 - at that time he estimated that I should see some progress, in 3 weeks - wait, that would have been last week. From all accounts, once your turn is up, thing happen fast, at least that's what I'm hoping for. I know the frame that Doug makes will be what I really want, so I'll do my best to chill and relax until then.
    Mine got here last Friday, for about a 16 week lead time. I've been too busy riding
    it to take any pictures or post, but there's a couple shots below.

Epic Mountaineer
    EBB SS 36:20
    Reba Race
    Thomson bar / stem
    Race Face Square Taper cranks
    King SS Disc hubs / CX-Ray spokes / 717 rims
    Flite
    Cane Creek S-8 headset, AD-5 shock
    Kenda weenies
    Yadda yadda

It would have been a bargain at double the price and four times the wait.
    I absolutely couldn't be happier.

Fit is perfect, alignment is perfect, geometry and handling are superb.

Softail functions better than I dared hope. It doesn't feel like "suspension"
    at all - Zero bobbing while out of the saddle, but knocks down all of the
    trail buzz. Seven hours of Pisgah this weekend without the slightest bit
    of back pain or stiffness. No issues with flex, at least not with my hulking
    147 pounds.

Hang in there - good things are on the way!

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Nishe!

Very nice line-up. Obviously, you're a CURTLO fan!

Thanks again to everyone who's contributed to this thread. I can't wait to get my frame!

mtbker

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    all these Curtlo is making me hard to resist picking up the phone to call Doug for a new 24hr frame.. Keep em coming..

anyone got the weight of their 24hr ?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast