Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 177
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    74

    Hope Callin all Curtlo owners

    I'm in the preliminary stages of ordering an Epic Mountaineer. I understand that patience is of the utmost importance when ordering a frame from Curtlo; might any of you Curtlo owners be so kind as to post a few pics on this thread?

    I figure it might just make the lead-time seem a bit shorter.

    Gracias

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    86
    Glad to see someone else is in the same boat as me. I just ordered an Advanced Mountaineer (about 3 weeks ago). When I was talking to Doug, he said time to completion is about 10 weeks.

    How far along are you? I can't wait.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigdrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,142
    Here go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    74

    Nice!

    Sweet looking ride! Why the short head tube?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigdrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,142
    Asking because of the mile high spacer stack? When I took those pics, I hadn't cut the steer tube yet.

  6. #6
    rmb
    rmb is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rmb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    660
    Here's mine, 29er with paragon sliders for Rohloff and guides, In 1x9 now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chruby99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    399

    My 03 Mountaineer

    Very nice ride. Fillet brazed frame. Curved seat stays. But I like my IF Deluxe a little better. The blue one is a 02 mountaineer Solo with track dropouts curved stays and v- mounts, and the third one is I think a 92 Aluminum Curtlo,It has canti stop
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    74

    Quite the collection

    Quote Originally Posted by chruby99
    Very nice ride. Fillet brazed frame. Curved seat stays. But I like my IF Deluxe a little better. The blue one is a 02 mountaineer Solo with track dropouts curved stays and v- mounts, and the third one is I think a 92 Aluminum Curtlo,It has canti stop
    Impressive line-up; I really appreciate you taking the time to forward the pics! My frame will have paragon adjustable dropouts, and will be prepped for (future) use as a geared hard tail; it'll be set up as a single speed for a while (maybe forever!)

    Any words of wisdom you can offer for dealing with Curtlo? Anything I should be aware of or pay special attention to?

    Also, how do you like your White Bros. sussy fork? I ride a Pace RC31 XC rigid carbon fork, but I've got a buddy who just ordered a White Bros. for his Ti Quireing frame.

    Thanks again!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chruby99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    399

    well

    I have never had any complaints about my frame. I love the curved stays and them brazed joints.

    as for forks, I love White Brothers forks. They are really a set it and forget it fork. the one pictured is a 05 XC.8 so it has a manual lockout if you like rigid. I also have an 00 XC-4 air sprung and air dampened fork that is also awesome. Very rigid forks, very easy to service very light weight. bothe weight in between 3-3.5 Not bad for a fork that has 32mm stanction and @ 8 inches of steerer. My next fork and most likely the one after that will be a White Brothers.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    86
    I placed my order for mine at the beginning of February. On February 1, I heard from Doug in my initial "interview" about what I wanted, etc. He said he's sure he'd have more questions for me and that he'd follow up (which I assume means that at the time, we'll talk about how I want the cable stops put on, etc). He quoted me 10 weeks to complete the bike and I made my deposit. Now, 4 weeks later, I haven't heard anything from him in regards to the finer details or what color I'd like, etc.

    My question is, is this common? Seems to me that letting 4 to 5 weeks go by without even letting me know where the project stands is absurd. I really don't want to bother him as I'm sure he's busy, but I'm beginning to wonder if he has forgotten. Any advice?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    74
    at the risk of sounding cliche, "patience is a virtue." Doug Curtiss has a stellar reputation as a custom frame builder, and you're right, he does stay very busy. Most Curtlo owners I've been in contact with all agree one two things;
    1. Quality of the end-product is very good!
    2. Well worth the wait, and you will wait!
    I placed my order closer to the middle of February, at which time I submitted the required measurements, and also a few pics of me on my current bike. I have emailed Doug since then several times to "follow up" on the emails I've sent. Doug has always made the time to return my emails. I think that the "finer details" will be critical later on in the actual build stage, so I wouldn't worry much. Either send him an email or give him a call. Keep me posted on how things progress.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by New2SS
    I placed my order for mine at the beginning of February. On February 1, I heard from Doug in my initial "interview" about what I wanted, etc. He said he's sure he'd have more questions for me and that he'd follow up (which I assume means that at the time, we'll talk about how I want the cable stops put on, etc). He quoted me 10 weeks to complete the bike and I made my deposit. Now, 4 weeks later, I haven't heard anything from him in regards to the finer details or what color I'd like, etc.

    My question is, is this common? Seems to me that letting 4 to 5 weeks go by without even letting me know where the project stands is absurd. I really don't want to bother him as I'm sure he's busy, but I'm beginning to wonder if he has forgotten. Any advice?

    Just as an FYI - I put my deposit down on Jan-18 and was quoted an 8 week lead time (fully expecting 10+ weeks). It has been almost 7 weeks since then and I'm still waiting to receive a drawing / draft of the frame geometry to approve.

    Thanks to all that have posted their pichers - it helps show that good things come to those who wait.

  13. #13
    198
    Reputation: RSutton1223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,804
    I wouldn't say it's done....but it is ready to ride.

    Curtlo SS - 34x18







    Boone Ti 18T


    One happy family...

  14. #14
    H8 H8 H8
    Reputation: Broussard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    846

    Curtlo Support Group

    I haven't laid hands on mine yet, but it's finished and on the
    way. Here's a sneak peak -
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    I haven't laid hands on mine yet, but it's finished and on the
    way. Here's a sneak peak -
    How long did it take you to get to this point?

  16. #16
    H8 H8 H8
    Reputation: Broussard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    846

    Wait time

    Quote Originally Posted by Suds
    How long did it take you to get to this point?
    15 weeks.

    YMMV

    Also, this was over the Holidays, which may have had
    something to do with it.

    ZB
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    15 weeks.

    YMMV

    Also, this was over the Holidays, which may have had
    something to do with it.

    ZB
    Thanks for the update.

    In that case, it is 8 weeks down (total quoted delivery time) and 7 weeks to go for me?

    I honestly don't mind waiting 15 weeks for a quality and value product, but I would just prefer that this was told to me upfront.

    Hope you enjoy your new ride once it arrive to your doorstep.

    Cheers - Suds
    Last edited by Suds; 03-16-2007 at 12:46 PM.

  18. #18
    H8 H8 H8
    Reputation: Broussard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    846

    I understand...

    Quote Originally Posted by Suds
    Thanks for the update.

    In that case, it is 8 weeks down (total quoted delivery time) and 7 weeks to go?

    I honestly don't mind waiting 15 weeks for a quality and value product, but I would just prefer that this was told to me upfront.

    Hope you enjoy your new ride once it arrive to your doorstep.

    Cheers - Suds
    My wait time was significantly longer than quoted, but this was the bike I wanted,
    so I tried to go in with the attitude of "I'll get it when I get it." I'm not really sure
    why he doesn't just quote longer lead times from the outset, but that's his choice.

    I don't think Doug puts a lot of emphasis on communication until it's your turn.
    Once my number came up, we went through detail design and two drawing revisions
    in about 36 hours. When it's your turn in the barrel, things will happen fast.

    I choose to view it this way - The less time he spends talking and the more time
    he spends building, the faster we all get our bikes.

    I expect we will both be very happy in the end.

    Enjoy,
    ZB
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eldogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    44

    '99

    My Advanced Mountaineer
    I got it in '99. I've had a few shock setups on it and have now gone rigid. Kelly Disc. I LOVE this bike! Fast, Light and tracks like a Hound Dog!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by eldogo; 03-30-2007 at 07:18 PM. Reason: New Pictures
    Just a lowly bike mechanic.

    Specialized Enduro Expert w/ Double Barrel
    Specialized Gangster
    Curtlo Advanced Mountaineer

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    86
    Any of you kids have updates on your build? I'm in week 8 now. Haven't heard a word.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by New2SS
    Any of you kids have updates on your build? I'm in week 8 now. Haven't heard a word.
    I'm sitting approx 11 weeks out (quoted 8 weeks). I did get a chance to talk to Doug briefly on the phone at week 7 - at that time he estimated that I should see some progress, in 3 weeks - wait, that would have been last week. From all accounts, once your turn is up, thing happen fast, at least that's what I'm hoping for. I know the frame that Doug makes will be what I really want, so I'll do my best to chill and relax until then.

  22. #22
    H8 H8 H8
    Reputation: Broussard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    846

    Mine got here

    Quote Originally Posted by Suds
    I'm sitting approx 11 weeks out (quoted 8 weeks). I did get a chance to talk to Doug briefly on the phone at week 7 - at that time he estimated that I should see some progress, in 3 weeks - wait, that would have been last week. From all accounts, once your turn is up, thing happen fast, at least that's what I'm hoping for. I know the frame that Doug makes will be what I really want, so I'll do my best to chill and relax until then.
    Mine got here last Friday, for about a 16 week lead time. I've been too busy riding
    it to take any pictures or post, but there's a couple shots below.

    Epic Mountaineer
    EBB SS 36:20
    Reba Race
    Thomson bar / stem
    Race Face Square Taper cranks
    King SS Disc hubs / CX-Ray spokes / 717 rims
    Flite
    Cane Creek S-8 headset, AD-5 shock
    Kenda weenies
    Yadda yadda

    It would have been a bargain at double the price and four times the wait.
    I absolutely couldn't be happier.

    Fit is perfect, alignment is perfect, geometry and handling are superb.

    Softail functions better than I dared hope. It doesn't feel like "suspension"
    at all - Zero bobbing while out of the saddle, but knocks down all of the
    trail buzz. Seven hours of Pisgah this weekend without the slightest bit
    of back pain or stiffness. No issues with flex, at least not with my hulking
    147 pounds.

    Hang in there - good things are on the way!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

  23. #23
    Klydesdale
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    304

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    74

    Nishe!

    Very nice line-up. Obviously, you're a CURTLO fan!

    Thanks again to everyone who's contributed to this thread. I can't wait to get my frame!

    mtbker

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    41
    all these Curtlo is making me hard to resist picking up the phone to call Doug for a new 24hr frame.. Keep em coming..

    anyone got the weight of their 24hr ?

  26. #26
    yog-sothoth
    Reputation: ryancycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    624
    here's a few of my Curtlo in it's current setup.





    I got mine back in 2004. Ordered in late Feb. and it arrived sometime in June. After riding it for close to 3 years now, I can say that it's one of the best bikes I've ever owned.
    On the morning of December 28th, Violet Kray received an official telegram from the governor of Winchester Gaol:

    "Your son Ronald Kray is certified insane."

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    86
    Anyone on the waiting list have new news?

    I'm in week 14 right now. Still haven't discussed anything outside of the original submittal and a couple of pics of me on my current ride. Still no drawing, still no paint details..nada. Nothing.

    Patience is wearing extremely thin.

  28. #28
    yog-sothoth
    Reputation: ryancycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by New2SS
    Anyone on the waiting list have new news?

    I'm in week 14 right now. Still haven't discussed anything outside of the original submittal and a couple of pics of me on my current ride. Still no drawing, still no paint details..nada. Nothing.

    Patience is wearing extremely thin.
    Honestly, I never got a drawing from Doug. Didn't matter in the long run as my bike turned out perfect.

    I'm not on the waiting list, but you are in peak building season for Doug right now. Keep in mind it's one guy doing everything; that's what will make your new Curtlo so special. I totally understand your frustration, but patience and persistence will make the wait worth it. Don't be afraid to pick up the phone and give him a call if you haven't done so already.

    edit: As I said in my previous post where I posted pictures, I ordered my frame around the same time you did a few years back. I didn't see it until June. Just an FYI. Welcome to the world of ordering custom from a one man operation. I honestly wouldn't do it any other way, though.
    On the morning of December 28th, Violet Kray received an official telegram from the governor of Winchester Gaol:

    "Your son Ronald Kray is certified insane."

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by New2SS
    Anyone on the waiting list have new news?

    I'm in week 14 right now. Still haven't discussed anything outside of the original submittal and a couple of pics of me on my current ride. Still no drawing, still no paint details..nada. Nothing.

    Patience is wearing extremely thin.
    I'm at week 15 - so you have at least another week + to wait. Two weeks ago Doug said that I should have a drawing this week, so hopefully I'll see it soon (breath not held).

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    74

    I'm not alone

    Hola gang,

    As the originator of this thread, I'd like to send out a big giant "gracias" to all contributors.

    As for my frame... well, I'm in week 10 of the originally quoted 10-12 weeks. I have not heard from Doug since he confirmed the receipt of my deposit in very early March. I have tried to touch-base with him a few times since then (via email), but have yet to receive a response. Although I must admit that the lack of response on Doug's part is a bit frustrating , I can also say that I firmly believe the end result will be well worth the wait

    Keep those pics coming, as they've really helped to confirm what I already know, "Good things come to those who wait!"

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by ryancycle
    Honestly, I never got a drawing from Doug. Didn't matter in the long run as my bike turned out perfect.

    I'm not on the waiting list, but you are in peak building season for Doug right now. Keep in mind it's one guy doing everything; that's what will make your new Curtlo so special. I totally understand your frustration, but patience and persistence will make the wait worth it. Don't be afraid to pick up the phone and give him a call if you haven't done so already.

    edit: As I said in my previous post where I posted pictures, I ordered my frame around the same time you did a few years back. I didn't see it until June. Just an FYI. Welcome to the world of ordering custom from a one man operation. I honestly wouldn't do it any other way, though.
    Thanks for the additional information.

    I know patience is required....but it's kind of like being a kid getting close to Christmas. You know the gifts are coming and you can't wait to open them.

    I had Wade at Vulture build up my SS a few years ago. It took him 8 weeks total....so I was sort of basing this purchase on that. Obviously, it's not the case.

  32. #32
    jkg
    jkg is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    52

    24 hour vs. Epic (29ers)

    Okay, I'm looking for anyone with experiences with either of these frames, preferably geared, preferably 29", and preferably a short person. I'm looking hard at these two for long haul racing. How do they compare in soaking up the trail? Anyone 5'6" or shorter had one built?

  33. #33
    Klydesdale
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by New2SS
    Anyone on the waiting list have new news?

    I'm in week 14 right now. Still haven't discussed anything outside of the original submittal and a couple of pics of me on my current ride. Still no drawing, still no paint details..nada. Nothing.

    Patience is wearing extremely thin.

    14 weeks? That ain't nothing. I waited almost 9 months for my last Curtlo frame.

  34. #34
    yog-sothoth
    Reputation: ryancycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by klydesdale
    14 weeks? That ain't nothing. I waited almost 9 months for my last Curtlo frame.

    that's nothing... according to the Vanilla bikes site, wait time for a new Vanilla is 47 months!!!!! I guess you'd have to want one reeeeaaaaallly f'in bad.
    On the morning of December 28th, Violet Kray received an official telegram from the governor of Winchester Gaol:

    "Your son Ronald Kray is certified insane."

  35. #35
    Klydesdale
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by ryancycle
    that's nothing... according to the Vanilla bikes site, wait time for a new Vanilla is 47 months!!!!! I guess you'd have to want one reeeeaaaaallly f'in bad.

    Yeah, but we're talking about Curtlo frames here. And actual wait times.

  36. #36
    yog-sothoth
    Reputation: ryancycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by klydesdale
    Yeah, but we're talking about Curtlo frames here. And actual wait times.

    yes, I know as I've already posted a few times in regards to Curtlo wait times in this thread. I was simply saying that things could be worse... like a 4 year wait.
    On the morning of December 28th, Violet Kray received an official telegram from the governor of Winchester Gaol:

    "Your son Ronald Kray is certified insane."

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by klydesdale
    14 weeks? That ain't nothing. I waited almost 9 months for my last Curtlo frame.
    My order will be canceled if it gets anywhere close to that.

  38. #38
    yog-sothoth
    Reputation: ryancycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    624
    Well, I think I'm going to have to break down and order a new Curtlo now.... the important question is: what color????
    On the morning of December 28th, Violet Kray received an official telegram from the governor of Winchester Gaol:

    "Your son Ronald Kray is certified insane."

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    74

    Now. focus

    ... at least there is one thing that we all seem to agree on; Doug Curtis builds a kick @#&* bike frame. I can't wait to get mine!

    Ryancycle,

    hows the riding up in INDI? I'm from Florida, but I have a little girl that lives in Lafayette. Needless to say, I'm in Indiana often.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbker1224
    ... at least there is one thing that we all seem to agree on; Doug Curtis builds a kick @#&* bike frame. I can't wait to get mine!

    Ryancycle,

    hows the riding up in INDI? I'm from Florida, but I have a little girl that lives in Lafayette. Needless to say, I'm in Indiana often.
    Funny, but I'm also from the Indy area. The riding has greatly improved over the past 11 years that I've been here. If you haven't already, point your browser over to hmba.org and have a look see. Also, feel free to shoot me a PM with any q's or anytime you are coming to town looking for a ride recommendation or companion.

    Cheers - Suds!

  41. #41
    Law
    Law is offline
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Reputation: Law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,237
    5 frames ordered, mostly road and cross. I have an S3 tubed road frame on order. I expect it early June. I was quoted Early April. My average wait time has probably been about 4 to 4.5 months or so for my prior Curtlos. Always quoted around 10 weeks or so.

    Don't get frustrated, just relax and realize this your current frustrations will disappear once on the saddle.

    When Doug is ready to build S3 tubed mtb's I will order another.

  42. #42
    yog-sothoth
    Reputation: ryancycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbker1224
    ... at least there is one thing that we all seem to agree on; Doug Curtis builds a kick @#&* bike frame. I can't wait to get mine!

    Ryancycle,

    hows the riding up in INDI? I'm from Florida, but I have a little girl that lives in Lafayette. Needless to say, I'm in Indiana often.

    There's some very nice trails in the state of Indiana, particularly down south in Brown County. If you can, I highly recommend checking out Brown County State Park.
    On the morning of December 28th, Violet Kray received an official telegram from the governor of Winchester Gaol:

    "Your son Ronald Kray is certified insane."

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1
    How did you go about ordering a bike from Curtlo? I have been trying for weeks to get in touch to place an order. I emailed, and have called once or twice a day for weeks without any answer. Did you just mail in the order form and wait for him to get in touch, or is there some other secret?

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    74

    uhm?!

    Wow man, seems a bit odd, but...

    I would suggest that you print the custom fit form provided on Doug's website, (look for the how to buy link) and then fax it off to him. Believe it or not, Doug was well aware of my order prior to my actual telephone conversation with him. It may sound risky, but go ahead and forward the 50% deposit as well; I'm pretty sure this gets your name officially added to the list.

    Hey, any of you guys think I should email Doug a link to this thread?

    Adios,

    mtbker

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigdrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,142
    I started everything off with Doug via email. He seemed to respond to emails later in the evening. I would say he answered the phone 30% of the time when I called as well. Not bad for a one man operation. As far as the long wait times, I think the squeky wheel gets the grease.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    74

    Update... NOT!

    For all who may be interested;

    I tried to contact Doug via email last week. My message was both apologetic ("please pardon the interruption") and to the point. I implied absolutely no pressure, I simply wanted to know how things are progressing with my build. Unfortunately, I've received no response. According to my calculations I'm in week #15; hopefully I'll receive word soon. Until then, I'll just keep in mind that I'm sure to end up with a sweet frame, and continue to wait patiently.

    Anybody out there with updates on his/her order?

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbker1224
    For all who may be interested;

    I tried to contact Doug via email last week. My message was both apologetic ("please pardon the interruption") and to the point. I implied absolutely no pressure, I simply wanted to know how things are progressing with my build. Unfortunately, I've received no response. According to my calculations I'm in week #15; hopefully I'll receive word soon. Until then, I'll just keep in mind that I'm sure to end up with a sweet frame, and continue to wait patiently.

    Anybody out there with updates on his/her order?
    This Thursday will be 16 weeks for me.....and no update, unfortunately.

    I haven't sent any e-mails because I don't really want to bug him. Sounds like he's very busy. I was hoping to have the bike before a vacation to Colorado in July...but I don't see it happening at the rate this build is going.

    Folks weren't joking when they said to be patient.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by New2SS
    This Thursday will be 16 weeks for me.....and no update, unfortunately.

    I haven't sent any e-mails because I don't really want to bug him. Sounds like he's very busy. I was hoping to have the bike before a vacation to Colorado in July...but I don't see it happening at the rate this build is going.

    Folks weren't joking when they said to be patient.
    Last week was week 17 for me. My geometry drawing came from Doug via email. I asked for a couple of small changes, had a new drawing the next morning and sent him my approval. Doug was very attentive and great to work with during these changes. All I can say is - you will receive great care once you are in the queue - it just takes some patience to get there.

  49. #49
    Is my rear tire flat?
    Reputation: dlbennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    859

    Another Brand Spanking New Curtlo!

    This is not my bike but my buddy and I built her up for him last week. He is too busy riding to make the post so I will do it for him. Early reports are in: He loves it and is on his 3rd ride in 3 days. A lot of components were new, few old. The frame is beautiful with great welds AND attention to detail. His first mountain bike (hardtail) lasted him 10 years and I suspect this one will last him into old age. Enough babble, here is the complete bike!
    db
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Liberty Lake Wa.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    74

    New question here. Anyone out there know?

    Do new Curtlo frames come equipped with a blinging head badge, or is it typically a decal?

  51. #51
    Is my rear tire flat?
    Reputation: dlbennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    859

    Decals

    This one I built up had decals, already starting to come off..... It would be nice if it had a badge but one could always have one made. The website does state "badge" but should really say decal!

    db
    Liberty Lake Wa.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lushmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbker1224
    For all who may be interested;

    I tried to contact Doug via email last week. My message was both apologetic ("please pardon the interruption") and to the point. I implied absolutely no pressure, I simply wanted to know how things are progressing with my build. Unfortunately, I've received no response. According to my calculations I'm in week #15; hopefully I'll receive word soon. Until then, I'll just keep in mind that I'm sure to end up with a sweet frame, and continue to wait patiently.

    Anybody out there with updates on his/her order?
    I received my frame about a week ago (~ 7 month wait time, quoted 6-8 wks...). Sure the delay sucked, and I do wish I had gotten more frequent/regular updates (not so that I could hassle/hurry Doug, not my style, but rather just for peace of mind/curiosity), but it was worh it...the frame is awesome and I'm sure that the bike will ride beautifully.
    Chimay: nectar of the gods
    Macallan: sweet ambrosia

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    74

    Please... send a few pics.

    Quote Originally Posted by lushmd
    I received my frame about a week ago (~ 7 month wait time, quoted 6-8 wks...). Sure the delay sucked, and I do wish I had gotten more frequent/regular updates (not so that I could hassle/hurry Doug, not my style, but rather just for peace of mind/curiosity), but it was worh it...the frame is awesome and I'm sure that the bike will ride beautifully.
    Doug emailed to let me know that my build is coming up soon, and that he would be contacting me in the near future to hash out the finer details; it was nice to receive the update. It's been about 1 week since then; I figure I'm at least another 4 weeks out. Again, I'm not the least bit upset about the wait, and I'm confident that the frame will be awesome. Hopefully, I'll be able to get an actual head badge (rather than a decal) for my frame... me likey the Bling!

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lushmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    266

    Pics

    Some pics can be found here...more to come in the near future, as the build progresses...
    Chimay: nectar of the gods
    Macallan: sweet ambrosia

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    86
    Still no word on mine. I'm guessing it will be up soon, seeing as those who ordered around the same time I did have heard from him.

    This is definitely becoming an exercise in patience.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    74

    Stay the path my friend...

    Quote Originally Posted by New2SS
    Still no word on mine. I'm guessing it will be up soon, seeing as those who ordered around the same time I did have heard from him.

    This is definitely becoming an exercise in patience.
    I can totally relate, but the more photos I see, and customer testemonials I read, the more I'm convinced that the wait is worth while. Fortunately, I'm still riding my Turner Flux, and my Surly SS while I wait. This may sound crazy, but if my frame turns out the way I expect it to, I'll likely be getting my name on the list for a soft tail right away. I'm pretty sure our frames are scheduled in the same batch, so let's keep each other posted.

  57. #57
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,206
    Waited seven months for the frame and one more for the correct shock. It was agonizing at time but would do it again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,690
    Think of the long wait as a blessing in disguise. You guys could be hoarding blingy parts for your build while you wait. That's what I'll be doing when I order my SS cross bike from him.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    7

    i feel your pain

    I am in the same boat as most of you. I order my bike Jan. 13th and I am still waiting for the finished product. It is at the painters so I am hoping to see it in the next week or two. This does not seem to be a fast process, and only gets slower when you have most of the parts for the bike but no frame and fork. It does sound like it is worth the wait. I have found the best way to keep in touch with Doug is via email, although it may take him a couple of days to reply, it also seems if he has no updates he will not reply. I guess he is busy building bikes.

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by tony o
    I am in the same boat as most of you. I order my bike Jan. 13th and I am still waiting for the finished product. It is at the painters so I am hoping to see it in the next week or two. This does not seem to be a fast process, and only gets slower when you have most of the parts for the bike but no frame and fork. It does sound like it is worth the wait. I have found the best way to keep in touch with Doug is via email, although it may take him a couple of days to reply, it also seems if he has no updates he will not reply. I guess he is busy building bikes.
    Look on the bright side, at least you know your's is at paint on will be on it's way soon. I ordered mine a little over 2 weeks after you ordered your's and to date, I don't have jack sheot. No drawings. No communication back. No nothing. Nada. Zilch. I'm in week 19 and the last time I heard anything was on February 1 when I put in the order and my credit card was processed for the down payment.

    The bikes may be stellar. The customer service is severly lacking. I'm sorry, but don't tell people you're on a 10 week schedule when it's really 2 to 3 times that. I can handle honesty up front.....

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    863
    I wouldnt bother,the bikes look boring.Sorry......

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    74

    yeah, looks... that's why I ride!

    Quote Originally Posted by LIFECYCLE
    I wouldnt bother,the bikes look boring.Sorry......
    You're absolutely right, Forget the reputation, forget the strong following, and forget the fact that Curtlo offers one of the best custom fit frames available. Do, however, remember to buy something because it looks... exciting!

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    863
    Ok,i am going out on my bike today.You can wait for yours and its blinging head badge.I just hope its worth it for you.No offence.......

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Qfactor03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    773
    I am sure your custom "NEXT" fits you like a glove. Enjoy your ride!

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    7

    on its way

    I got an email from Doug, my bike is on its way. News2ss I hope this means you are close. I will post updated info when i actually have the frame and fork........

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by tony o
    I got an email from Doug, my bike is on its way. News2ss I hope this means you are close. I will post updated info when i actually have the frame and fork........
    Man I wish.

    I'm in week 20 right now. Still no drawings. Still haven't discussed color, cable routing, etc. Still no response to my e-mail last week inquiring as to where I am in the cue.

    Speaking of color...I wish the damn color samples on his website would show up. All I get are blank boxes with names of colors in them.

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    7

    Its Here!

    I received my bike Friday of last week. It was actually here on Wens the 20 but the post office would not deliver the package, which is fine since no one was here to take it. Any way I placed my order on Jan 13 and got the bike on June 20.

    It looks sweet.....Good luck to all of you waiting.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by tony o
    I received my bike Friday of last week. It was actually here on Wens the 20 but the post office would not deliver the package, which is fine since no one was here to take it. Any way I placed my order on Jan 13 and got the bike on June 20.

    It looks sweet.....Good luck to all of you waiting.
    Congrats! Mine is currently being powder coated - I ordered on Jan 18.

    Now - where are the pichers ???

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    25
    [QUOTE=Suds]Congrats! Mine is currently being powder coated - I ordered on Jan 18.
    /QUOTE]

    Alright, the frame showed up on Friday, June 29. Have I mentioned that it is one of Doug's S3 road frames? Anyway - here is a link to some photos, etc.

    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=99429

    Best of luck to all those waiting - I can assure you that your patience will be rewarded.

    Cheers - Suds

  70. #70
    Law
    Law is offline
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Reputation: Law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,237
    [QUOTE=Suds]
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds
    Congrats! Mine is currently being powder coated - I ordered on Jan 18.
    /QUOTE]


    Alright, the frame showed up on Friday, June 29. Have I mentioned that it is one of Doug's S3 road frames? Anyway - here is a link to some photos, etc.

    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=99429

    Best of luck to all those waiting - I can assure you that your patience will be rewarded.

    Cheers - Suds


    My S3 road frame will be here shortly. What is frame weight and size?

    EDIT: nevermind, I read the other thread--congrats it looks great!

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    86
    Got my drawings today via e-mail. Can't wait to finally throw a leg over her.


  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    74

    Very cool...

    Quote Originally Posted by New2SS
    Got my drawings today via e-mail. Can't wait to finally throw a leg over her.

    looks like it's gonna be a sweet 29ner! Unless I'm mistaken, my drawing should be coming along shortly too I'm pretty sure our orders were in within days of one another. I'll keep you all posted.

  73. #73
    Law
    Law is offline
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Reputation: Law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,237

    sweetness

    Love this bike, but it is not mine. I am considering having a Curtlo built with the Pro shock fork soon. Probably not the softtail or the couplers though. It would also have regular dropouts.

    The color is killer
    Attached Images Attached Images

  74. #74
    N+1
    Reputation: MichiganClydesdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    704

    new color

    this used to be red, just got it back from a repair and new color. Not Doug's fork either, but he was kind enough to coat it for me with the frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  75. #75
    Law
    Law is offline
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Reputation: Law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,237
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganClydesdale
    this used to be red, just got it back from a repair and new color. Not Doug's fork either, but he was kind enough to coat it for me with the frame.

    Is it a 29er? Hard to tell because it all looks very well proportioned.

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    41
    after reading all this, I probably will be hitting my email send button real soon.

    should be getting a S3 roadie(SS coupling) and a 24hr together if the my performance bonus comes up well...

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    74

    Woo Hoo!

    Doug just emailed my preliminary drawing this morning; SWEET
    Funny story; I had originally intended to order a full rigid Advanced Mountaineer, but somewhere along the line I screwed up and ordered an Epic instead
    Now I'm thinking I'll go ahead with the soft tail frame... just wondering how it will work out with a rigid fork as a single speed?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    86
    For the guys who have their frames, did the process start to move quicker once you received your drawings?

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    74

    spoke with Doug last night...

    Quote Originally Posted by New2SS
    For the guys who have their frames, did the process start to move quicker once you received your drawings?
    We discussed a few slight "tweaks" to my drawing; he was making the changes as we spoke. Doug explained that he would have the final revised drawing to me by Monday. When I told him that I figured on another 4 weeks of lead-time before receiving my frame, he assured me that it absolutely will NOT take that long. I'll keep everyone posted.

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by New2SS
    For the guys who have their frames, did the process start to move quicker once you received your drawings?
    I approved the frame geometry on May 18th and the frame arrived at my door on June 29th for what its worth.

  81. #81
    Cracker-magnon
    Reputation: gpsser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,150
    Not that it really matters much, since I have been looking at all options, and most more expensive, but his web pricing is about 1yr old. Has it changed much. I am definitely going with Doug at this point on a 29er 24hr. The nice thing is that he is only a couple of hours away, and we have work scheduled up there in a few months.
    "Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    74

    New question here. Anyone....

    have an update on the status of his/her order? I'm still waiting; I'm thinking it'll be another week before receiving word from Doug.

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    7

    24hr 29er

    I finally finished constructing my 24hr 29er and took it out this weekend. It is sweet. I just need to get use to the single speed aspect of it. The likes to go fast and has no problem climbing at all. Mine in fully rigid, but it rides really smooth. I am very impressed. My other bike is a carbon softtail (Trek STP 300) and I would say the steel hard tail rides just as smooth.

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    86
    On Monday, I sent Doug my paint choice as well as details concerning the cable routing.

    Today, I received an e-mail back saying thanks for the additional information and that it is now time to build the frame. I would expect probably another 4 to 6 weeks to receive it, considering build time plus paint, etc.

  85. #85
    Cracker-magnon
    Reputation: gpsser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,150
    My order and deposit went in a week ago or so. Talked with Doug a bit about geometry. Now I get to wait a while. wooo
    "Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    74

    ... and if we just ... It's here, it's really here!

    Got the official word from Doug via email yesterday. Best of all, at this very moment, my frame is at home waiting for me to throw a leg around her . Looks like I'll be busy building a new bike over the weekend. Having issues with attaching pics right now , but I'll get some on in the very near future.

    To those of you still on the waiting list; hang in there, good things are on the horizon .

    Adios

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Qfactor03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    773

    Here ya go...

    my computer challenged amigo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  88. #88
    Cracker-magnon
    Reputation: gpsser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,150
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbker1224
    To those of you still on the waiting list; hang in there, good things are on the horizon .
    OK, so what was your total wait time, from deposit to receipt. I am glad my wait is going to be over winter. very nice looking BTW
    "Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    74

    well...

    I placed my order in very early February, so... well over 20 weeks. Been too busy workin and ridin to finish putting her together, but I should be ready for the maiden ride by this coming Saturday. I'll make sure to post pics of the final build.

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbker1224
    Got the official word from Doug via email yesterday. Best of all, at this very moment, my frame is at home waiting for me to throw a leg around her . Looks like I'll be busy building a new bike over the weekend. Having issues with attaching pics right now , but I'll get some on in the very near future.

    To those of you still on the waiting list; hang in there, good things are on the horizon .

    Adios
    You beat me!!! I haven't heard back from Doug on mine yet. I figure since you and I ordered around the same time, mine should be almost on it's way.

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    166
    Do you guys know if Doug takes kindly to in person visits? I read the custom fit PDF and... well, it seems like he bases a lot on the geometry of your current bike -- what if you don't like your current bike (thus the interest in getting a new one)? I'm on an old Trek, and dont' really like the way it handles, fits me and strips my confidence when riding because it just feels squirrely... Calling or actually visiting him would be, IMO, the best route... but what do you folks think who have dealt with him before? Thanks!

    Matt

  92. #92
    Cracker-magnon
    Reputation: gpsser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,150
    Quote Originally Posted by matteus
    I read the custom fit PDF and... well, it seems like he bases a lot on the geometry of your current bike -- what if you don't like your current bike (thus the interest in getting a new one)?
    Feel free to leave the info for the new bike blank, or mostly blank.... I did. The first time I talked with him He asked plenty of questions about what I liked and did not like about my current bike. I also attached some other info about what it was that I was looking for in a new bike.
    "Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Econoline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by matteus
    Do you guys know if Doug takes kindly to in person visits? I read the custom fit PDF and... well, it seems like he bases a lot on the geometry of your current bike -- what if you don't like your current bike (thus the interest in getting a new one)? I'm on an old Trek, and dont' really like the way it handles, fits me and strips my confidence when riding because it just feels squirrely... Calling or actually visiting him would be, IMO, the best route... but what do you folks think who have dealt with him before? Thanks!

    Matt
    Doug personally fit me for my Advanced Mountaineer back when he was building here in southern Calif. Contact him and see what he says.

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    74

    I had the exact same concerns for a while, but...

    Quote Originally Posted by matteus
    Do you guys know if Doug takes kindly to in person visits? I read the custom fit PDF and... well, it seems like he bases a lot on the geometry of your current bike -- what if you don't like your current bike (thus the interest in getting a new one)? I'm on an old Trek, and dont' really like the way it handles, fits me and strips my confidence when riding because it just feels squirrely... Calling or actually visiting him would be, IMO, the best route... but what do you folks think who have dealt with him before? Thanks!

    Matt
    After sending him pictures and explaining the likes and dislikes of other bikes I've owned, Doug was able to make suggestions, and finally several tweaks to the final drawing. Long story short, he totally nailed it with my new frame. The first time I rode it, I was amazed at how my position on the bike seemed so familiar. The dislikes I had discussed with Doug are no longer, and I couldn't be happier with my new ride. I suggest you call Doug and speak with him personally; he's a really cool guy.

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,690
    I asked him if making a trip up there would be ok and he said he wouldn't mind at all. Plus the Methow Valley is awesome.

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    68
    The frame Doug built for me was basically a copy of the geometry of a frame that I liked, but with nicer tubing and EBB for singlespeed.

    I sent him the old frame's geometry chart, and then we chatted for about 20 minutes about a few changes. For example: he suggested that if I plan to continue using Thomson seatpost (I do), consider slackening the seat tube by 1/2 degree to make up for their lack of setback. That sort of thing.

    End result: great. Well worth the wait.

  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    74

    Good job! A letter to Doug Curtis...

    Did the first official ride on my new Epic for the first time yesterday; Iím in love, and happy to report that you seem to have nailed the fit. The 1Ē of rear travel eliminates all small trail bumps and takes the edge off of the root-covered rocky areas; there is no suspension ďbobĒ. Iím amazed at how well the bike hooks up on climbs. In fact, weíve recently had heavy rains here (almost nightly for over a week now), and most of the local trails are washed out and extremely slick (lots of clay here), yet I was still able to scoot up the most difficult climbs with no slipping of the rear wheel, and with very little adjustment of my center of gravity in the cockpit; coming out of the saddle was not necessary. The bike handles extremely well, and, regardless of loose dirt, rocks, or roots, the rear wheel stays on the ground. All in all, the bike hooks up better than anything Iíve ever owned or ridden.

    In short, you can add me to the long list of satisfied customers. I couldnít be happier with the final result, and it was well worth the wait! I will definitely be in touch again in the near future to start working on details for a new single speed frame.

    mtbker1224

  98. #98
    198
    Reputation: RSutton1223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,804
    Picture of mine right before I sold it.




  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103

    I see I'm not alone

    Thanks for the photos and comments. Glad to see that my ongoing wait isn't abnormal. After so many dates promised then missed I was starting to wonder if I'd been taken, so I searched the web for some dirt on Doug which is how I landed here. For what it's worth I found negative comments from only one unhappy customer and his complaint was pretty vague - thems good odds if you ask me.

    Original delivery date was early October, now I'm hoping for the end of the year. But at least I now know that it's just bidniz as usual from Curlo.

  100. #100
    Cracker-magnon
    Reputation: gpsser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,150
    So when did you put your order in? Just curious. I went into mine expecting the wait, and calculating by what others have seen for wait times I should see mine mid Feb.
    "Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •