Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Newb

BMW Enduro MTB ?

Whilst fitting some ceiling lights in at a BMW dealership I noticed a dusty bike in the store room. I asked the manager about it and he said it was one that they used for display a few months ago. I've had a good look at it and it's seems really well specified.

Manitou Black Platinum forks
    Manitou Radium RL shock
    Truvative KRG Firex Team Isis crank
    SRAM X9
    Hayes HFX Mag XC Hydros.

Really lightweight as well.

He said I can have it for 500 if I want it. Anyone have any experience on this bike?

Ian F. (Nottingham UK)
    Last edited by Cyberfyn; 12-06-2006 at 02:07 AM.
    Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes!

I like Cake.
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberfyn
    Whilst fitting some ceiling lights in at a BMW dealership I noticed a dusty bike in the store room. I asked the manager about it and he said it was one that they used for display a few months ago. I've had a good look at it and it's seems really well specified.

Manitou Black Platinum forks
    Manitou Radium RL shock
    Truvative KRG Firex Team Isis crank
    SRAM X9
    Hayes HFX Mag XC Hydros.

Really lightweight as well.

He said I can have it for 500 if I want it. Anyone have any experience on this bike?

Ian F. (Nottingham UK)

Offer him $350.00, then either keep it as a collectible, or part it out on ebay. Maybe even ride it, it does not look like that bad of a set up.

Flying Goat
    actually, i think that looks like a pretty dh sweet bike... wonder how much bmw sells them for...

MTB B'dos
    I agree offer him a bit less, but even the 500 sounds pretty decent for that bike. Looks kinda like a SC Nomad and the specs are decent. Has it even beem riden?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Wolf nipple chips
    looks more like a specialized enduro. the front triangle does resemble the Nomad, but it doesn't have the vpp design rear end. offer him a super low-ball: 20 bucks and a hug.

mtbr member
    Guys don't forget this is 500 pounds so asking $350 might be a bit of an insult. Depending on the condition 500 sounds like a deal to me.

"Its All Good"
    Whilst on ebay last week there was one of these for sale, brand new, wanted 2.5K USD. No watchers or any bids. So not sure what they are worth. Just looked then to see if I could find the link, but the sale has finished. There is a Porche bike on there too fo rbig money. Not sure what these bikes are like. Nice specs, but no knowledge of them.

Good luck if you make a purchase
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Whilst on ebay last week there was one of these for sale, brand new, wanted 2.5K USD. No watchers or any bids. So not sure what they are worth. Just looked then to see if I could find the link, but the sale has finished. There is a Porche bike on there too fo rbig money. Not sure what these bikes are like. Nice specs, but no knowledge of them.
    Porsche bikes are from German brand Votec which were fairly expensive on their own name too, don't know if they were any good but their specialty was a lightweight dual crown forks several years before Mavericks. Seems that the brand is now dead which would make getting replacement parts difficult.
    Votec had pretty funny ads though:
    http://www.bikerconnection.de/Home.htm (B&W picture is rip off from Votec ad, I think I have saved couple of the somewhere).

Freshly Fujified

500 Gbp = 940 Usd

I doubt you could touch a bike with those components for les than $1000 USD. If you need a bike, and it fits, then it's a good deal. You could certainly part it out on ebay if that's your intention.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

I like Cake.
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nick25
    Guys don't forget this is 500 pounds so asking $350 might be a bit of an insult. Depending on the condition 500 sounds like a deal to me.
    This is also probably being sold by a person who has no idea about bikes, who would more then likely be happy to have anything for it and have it out of his store room.

Newb

... and if we just ...

Thank's guys. I went back last night and bought it. He showed me the BMW price list and it's 1799 UKP !!!!

Never been ridden (well, maybe round the showroom a few times)

Got it home and apart from being a bit dusty it's brand new. Even gave me the BMW two year warranty with it. You can take it to any BMW dealer for service and you get a service book just like a car !

Fit's me fine, so I'm well happy. I was in the market for a new bike as well

Flying Goat
    Thank's guys. I went back last night and bought it. He showed me the BMW price list and it's 1799 UKP !!!!

Got it home and apart from being a bit dusty it's brand new. Even gave me the BMW two year warranty with it. You can take it to any BMW dealer for service and you get a service book just like a car !

pics pics pics...

Freshly Fujified

Good for you!

Sounds like the perfect match. Rider needs bike. Rider finds bike. Rider gets deal. Rider and bike both happy. Give us a ride report and some pics.

Enjoy!

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Good deal all-round!

I really like the look of the bike.

I was going to bring up the fit issue. It is not worth buying if it is the wrong size.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

"Its All Good"
    Give us some dusty pics, then a spanking clean pic, then some action pics....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Newb
    LOL. It's already in a hundred bits! Doing a full strip, clean and rebuild.

Ian F.

MTB B'dos
    Well once it fits OK then you're good to go, Great Deal. You will definitely have a unique bike, that's for sure bet you don't see another one anytime when you're out riding.

Thank's guys. I went back last night and bought it. He showed me the BMW price list and it's 1799 UKP !!!..........Fit's me fine, so I'm well happy. I was in the market for a new bike as well
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Newb
    My only concern is that the chain is quite rusty. It looks like it has had no lube at all since new. And as it's been stuck un-used in a drafty storeroom all through the british winter it's pretty much siezed up. Is it worth working on? or do I get my LBS to swap it out? Never changed a chain, is it easy to do? It's the only thing letting the bike down really.

Ian F.

local trails rider
    Changing the chain is easy, if you have the tool for breaking and joining it (from the LBS). Just put in a new chain that is the same length as the old one. Chains do not cost much and the tool does not have to be expensive either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    They were WAY over-priced at 1799 but a great deal at 500 + 15 for a new chain

Newb
    Yeah, you're obviously paying for the brand name with BMW. But I'm chuffed (happy) to any pay 500 for it. I've never felt a lighter bike.

Ian F.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm trying to recall who actually makes these bikes. They were rebadged for BMW as part of their "lifestyle" marketing program. Don't worry Cyberfyn, it was a decent bike manufacturer, I just can't remember which one! May have been Merida, but I'm not at all sure.

Newb
    No worries. I'd like any information at all. Until I saw it I never knew you could get a beemer bike!

Mostly back together now. Just waiting on a new Shimano chain and I'll be off over my back garden and into Sherwood Forest (starts at the end of the field). 100's of miles of gentle/technical game trails and ancient footpaths.

Ian F. (Nottingham UK)
    Last edited by Cyberfyn; 12-06-2006 at 02:06 AM.

MTB B'dos
    AMAZING you know how to pick a FS bike completely apart, yet don't know how to change a chain

My only concern is that the chain is quite rusty. It looks like it has had no lube at all since new. And as it's been stuck un-used in a drafty storeroom all through the british winter it's pretty much siezed up. Is it worth working on? or do I get my LBS to swap it out? Never changed a chain, is it easy to do? It's the only thing letting the bike down really.

Ian F.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

EDR

...I'll be off over my back garden and into Sherwood Forest (starts at the end of the field).

Ian F. (Nottingham UK)
    You'll have a unique bike if nothing else. Cool. Put a new chain on and have fun.

Say hi to Maid Marian for me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast