mtbr member
    Apr 2010

BMC riders - need your help w/ sizing

I am looking to buy a 2008 BMC fourstroke 03.

It is a 15" size, and I'm trying to get a feel for how the fourstrokes are sized in regards to other riders.

I am about 5'6" tall, with a 28 inseam.

I went to the local bike store and tested out a 15" bike and a 17" bike.... but they both seemed to fit well enough. The 17" was a little tall, but it wasnt' "uncomfortable".

So for other BMC riders (specifically the 2008 fourstroke 03 riders) - how tall are you, what is your inseam and what size frame did you get?

Any/all help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Steve

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm 5'5"ish and I ride a 15" fourstroke

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1
    I'm 5'5"ish and I ride a 15" fourstroke

Does it fit you well?

Or does it feel slightly small?

Someone stated in another forum that the 15" is for riders 5'5" and smaller, so you would qualify but I don't think I would.

I just don't want to buy this bike and find out it's too small

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Fits me very well. No complaints in the size department. My wife has a XS (14" equivalent) KHS XC and even though I can ride it, I do feel cramped in that.
    If I were you, I'd get the 17". The person who i bought my frame from went out and bought a 17" fourstroke and he is just a hair taller than me.

More Bacon
    Jan 2009
    The BMC Fourstroke has a short top tube. I had a medium (5'10", but with a long back). I got tired of riding it with a 130mm stem, so I sold it. In comparison to most frame geometries, the TT was about 3/4" shorter...

josephr
    Apr 2010
    I just turned 40 and I'm looking at my first full suspension bike. I've tested rode lots of full suspension bikes from trek/GF, to cannondale, to KHS, to Kona, etc. However, I'd really like to try out a BMC Trailfox.

My problem? I'm in Birmingham, AL and the closest BMC dealer on the website is in Memphis or Charlotte, NC. I would think there is one in Atlanta???

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You'll find out that not a lot of shops deal with BMC bikes but if they get there stuff through QBP (distribution center), they can order one for you. You won't get to pre-ride it though.
    Even the lone BMC dealer here (MN) don't stock much if anything worth buying, but like everyone else, they can order one for you.

josephr
    Apr 2010

"we can order it!"

Sorry to hi-jack someone else's thread...since there's not a BMC forum, is there a BMC on-going thread?

sux being in Alabama --- good riding around here, but not enough bikers to support more than a handful of shops--- so, basically stuck with Trek/GF shops and the others carry Specialized/Giant, etc. Don't get me wrong, they're all nice bikes, but its a road trip to check out a Cannondale, GT, Santa Cruz...one shop carries a few Niners and maybe you might catch a Titus every now and then...

Anyway, called the Ellsworth dealer in ATL -- said "we deal 'em but don't stock 'em"...sounds like your BMC "dealer" doesn't it?

The TF01 looks like one heckuva ride for a XC rider...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just and FYI for anyone who comes across this thread....

I'm about 5'5" with a 27 inseam (got officially measured at a bike shop) and I think this 15" BMC works pretty well for me.

It does have a longer stem (110mm) and a setback seat post... so that probably helps.

Is now still the time?
    Hi,

I am not tall. 5' 8.5" with a 30" inseam, weigh 160 lbs. I have owned and extensively ridden my Fourstroke 02 for 3 solid years. It is the older design. I have the extra-small 15" size, and have no regrets. I wasn't sure either, when I went into buying it. I did look at the stand-over, and that was a point in favor of 15". But I am close to getting the next size up, but not leggy enough, I think. I figured the smaller model saves a bit of weight. You get only one good bottle cage placement on my frame. The front derailleur cable stop on the seat tube is very close to the derailleur, and they should have spec'd that the cable stop be angled slightly. I use Gore-tex cable on the front to overcome tremendous friction. It is an upright riding position and I put on a high angle rise stem of something like 50 degrees and a riser bar. I needed a long 400mm seat-post almost extended to the limit. I like it. The quickness is great in the woods and tight switchbacks. It climbs great. I put an 06' Talas on it, and I use all the settings on it from low to high. I have no problems descending on this thing. It rips. I ride with a lot of people and most have Specialized or Santa Cruz offerings in my area. Their headquarters are right in my area. Specialized is right down the street from the big place I like to ride in. BMC fourstroke is different and holds it's own no problem with the LT Blurs and the Stumpjumpers. I have the longer travel linkage on my BMC.

BMC Fourstroke 02 in Henry W Coe State Park, California