Big air wannabe
    Oct 2008

BMC Rear Brake binding under suspension travel

The bike was only built two weeks ago and I was fairly sure the rear brake (mechanical disc) had very slightly kicked in on previous DH runs. Today I started hitting the bigger jumps at our local Free Ride area and the rear brake kicked in enough much more - not locking up but braking fairly heavily after a landing...

I was planning on asking for help here but finally figured it out... or caught in the act should I say. Once when getting off the bike after it binding I noticed the rear brake cable had caught up in the seat post QR. Solution was easy: flip the QR.

Maybe the solution will help someone else? Anyone building a new bike should take note too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Good to hear you got it sorted.

I found with my TF that I was getting ghost shifting during heavy compressions on the rear suspension due to the cable outers flexing.

So i drilled the cable stops and am now running full length outers for the gear cables - no ghost shifting.

I think there's always an issue with cable routing on full suspension bikes, though some can be worse than others. It just takes time to set them up as best as possible

Big air wannabe
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Willy
    Good to hear you got it sorted.

I found with my TF that I was getting ghost shifting during heavy compressions on the rear suspension due to the cable outers flexing.

So i drilled the cable stops and am now running full length outers for the gear cables - no ghost shifting.

I think there's always an issue with cable routing on full suspension bikes, though some can be worse than others. It just takes time to set them up as best as possible
    Are there any tricks to using a continuous housing to the rear mech? I had a frayed cable already (frayed at a pivot point but I have nosed ferrules), so will try the same.

Members who have read this thread: 0