Thread: Bmc 2009

mtbr member

Bmc 2009

My new 2009 BMC fourstroke 02.

I picked up on Thursday and raced it that night and raced it again on Saturday in a 6hr ...this bike is fast.

Having ridden and raced a fourstroke 03 for the last year I'm already very familiar with the bike. This bike is mostly new with a few parts taken out off last years fourstroke namely the Reba fork and the juicy brakes. The rest consists of sram xo shifters and rear derailleur, XT front, XT crank , XT cassette, scor alloy bars (I have them on all of my bikes), score seatpost and scor saddle, lock on oury grips. The rims are stans ztr355 lace to atom hubs with the spokes binded with UST Schwalbe racing Ralph's. A big thanks to my man Andy for putting it altogether and making it look and run so damn good!

I've got a 100k race coming up next weekend so I'll put it through its paces again.

Last years fourstoke 03 is getting the longer rocker kit to bring the rear up to 120mm and a RS revelation fork up front so then I'll have the best of both worlds. I'll post some pictures when I get it back from the shop.

smIMG_1711.jpg

smIMG_1714.jpg

smIMG_1715.jpg

smIMG_1724.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Mate, That bike is sweet! I"M SORRY BUT... ...that green is HIDEOUS!!!

mtbr member
    BLEEBS, Represent....pm'd you!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    ZZZZZZZZZZZ........ Ooops must have been sleeping

Pm'd you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bleebs
    My new 2009 BMC fourstroke 02.

I picked up on Thursday and raced it that night and raced it again on Saturday in a 6hr ...this bike is fast.

Having ridden and raced a fourstroke 03 for the last year I'm already very familiar with the bike. This bike is mostly new with a few parts taken out off last years fourstroke namely the Reba fork and the juicy brakes. The rest consists of sram xo shifters and rear derailleur, XT front, XT crank , XT cassette, scor alloy bars (I have them on all of my bikes), score seatpost and scor saddle, lock on oury grips. The rims are stans ztr355 lace to atom hubs with the spokes binded with UST Schwalbe racing Ralph's. A big thanks to my man Andy for putting it altogether and making it look and run so damn good!

I've got a 100k race coming up next weekend so I'll put it through its paces again.

Last years fourstoke 03 is getting the longer rocker kit to bring the rear up to 120mm and a RS revelation fork up front so then I'll have the best of both worlds. I'll post some pictures when I get it back from the shop.
    What does the fs02 weigh?

What the story with the 'longer' rocker kit. i.e. how much, where from et.....

It's so hard to find info on this model bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biketavioumaximus
    What does the fs02 weigh? .
    I PM'd you with this info, but for the record the Green fs02 is 12.5kg. Not the lightest, but XL bikes are always a bit heavier. For a comparison my XL cannondale scalpel (1st generation) with a similar spec and crossmax wheels was 12.2kg.

What the story with the 'longer' rocker kit. i.e. how much, where from et......
    I put a trial fox likage in with 120mm of travel on my older 2007 fs03 which is a different model. The 2007 trailfoxes and fourstrokes were a very similar bike and you could interchange linkages with no issues. I got it from my LBS which deals with a lot of BMC's.

Since the original post, I have replaced the 2007 fs03 with another 2009 fs02.

It's so hard to find info on this model bike.
    Your talking about the fs02?

What do you want to know?
    Last edited by bleebs; 11-07-2009 at 02:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Your talking about the fs02?

What do you want to know?
    Yeah the fs02 2009.

How light can these frame be built?
    How much is the 'rocker' upgrade?
    Does it raise the bb and affect the head angle?
    Are the frame bearings available from any bearing supplier?
    Do the bearings need much maintenance?

Hows that for a start.

I recently purchased an fs02 of which I'm painting 'team red' as I'm not a huge fan of the green. I purchased as a replacement of a santacruz blur lt, as I'm racing xc much more. I liked the fact it was 'boutique', solid construction and had xc race geometry. I do the odd 50-100km enduro and am curious about longer travel et....I'm also racin wildside tasmania in 2010 (200km over 4 days)

I didn't look at the trail fox originally as my primary objective was xc race bike with ability for occasional long haul trail work.

At present I'm just contemplating a fox f120 15qr for the front. Anywho, I'd love it you could answer those questions.

Thanks Bleebs.

mtbr member
    Yeah the fs02 2009.

How light can these frame be built?.
    Depends how much you want to spend. Like I said my my XL fs02 is 12.5kg. A riding buddy has the fs02 in large size with carbon crank, seatpost and bars. A set of RS Sid forks, different seat and his is 11.2kg.
    How much is the 'rocker' upgrade?
    The rocker upgrade was for the 2006/2007 Fourstoke 03, NOT the FS02.

Bmc 2009-fs03frame.gif
    2007 Fourstroke 03 frame with 120mm rear likage

Bmc 2009-fs03_100mmlinkage.gif
    Original 100mm linkage

Does it raise the bb and affect the head angle?
    Putting the 130mm fork and the 120mm rear linkage on the fs03 turned it from a fast bike to a slower one, so I ended up upgrading to a new bike.
    Are the frame bearings available from any bearing supplier?
    Do the bearings need much maintenance?
    After riding these different BMC fourstokes over a few years, I have never had an issue with bearing wear or play. The same type of riding I used to do on my Cannondale scalpel would wear out the bushing and you could feel the play within a few months. With these babies .....no problem.

I recently purchased an fs02 of which I'm painting 'team red' as I'm not a huge fan of the green. I purchased as a replacement of a santacruz blur lt, as I'm racing xc much more. I liked the fact it was 'boutique', solid construction and had xc race geometry. I do the odd 50-100km enduro and am curious about longer travel et....I'm also racin wildside tasmania in 2010 (200km over 4 days)
    Hey fellow Aussie . I've did wildside a couple of times and you won't need 120mm travel for it. Your fourstoke is well suited for it. And theres more climbing then descending, and the fs is a great climber when dialed in. I've been doing the 100k enduros on my fs02, you might be familiar with Otways Odyssey, Bendigo Golden Triangle, You Yangs Yowie, BMC 100k classic and its been a perfect bike for the job.

I didn't look at the trail fox originally as my primary objective was xc race bike with ability for occasional long haul trail work.
    At present I'm just contemplating a fox f120 15qr for the front. Anywho, I'd love it you could answer those questions.
    I enjoy having the 120mm up front on the green fs, it slows down the steering a bit but it does make the front end a lot plusher and easier on the arms for the longer stuff (3 hours +). I do notice the difference when I jump on the 100mm silver fs02 (see pic below), which I tend to use for the shorter races.

Bmc 2009-fs02silver.gif

mtbr member
    A riding buddy has the fs02 in large size with carbon crank, seatpost and bars. A set of RS Sid forks, different seat and his is 11.2kg.
    I'd love to see his spec list. Mine is about 12kg neat at the moment. wheels are 1600g and cranks are gxp stylo's so I could shed another 300+ g easily,,,
    Last edited by biketavioumaximus; 11-18-2009 at 04:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The rocker upgrade was for the 2006/2007 Fourstoke 03, NOT the FS02.............
    2007 Fourstroke 03 frame with 120mm rear likage

Original 100mm linkage
    Putting the 130mm fork and the 120mm rear linkage on the fs03 turned it from a fast bike to a slower one, so I ended up upgrading to a new bike.
    So by putting the Trailfox linkage on the Fourstroke, wouldn't that just turn it into a Trailfox now since that was the only difference between the two frames?

On another note, I still can't get over the look of the new frames, IMO they're ugly compared the 06-08 ones. I guess that's just me.

BikerHolland
    May 2008

BMC fs03 vs fs02

Hello,
    Its late here in Holland. I am new here on mtbr and I have searched the forum for my question but coult not find answer so I put my question here.
    I am a happy rider on a BMC fs03.
    What are the specific differences between the fs03 fs02 and fs01?
    ok the rockers are different and all the bikes look different by that.