mtbr member
    Dec 2007

BlackSheep Bars/Seatpost

I'm wondering if anyone has had trouble with Blacksheep bars and sesatpost? I have the Flatter bars and the standard seatpost. I already sent my bent bars back to James, and just noticed that my post is bent. I weigh 205 and ride XC here in Ohio. No crashes, no jumping or down hill stuff. My bike is a IF 29er.

Another question is James good with replacing parts or fixing them? This is my first time dealing with a shop thats not my LBS.

Thanks Terry

widebody
    Mar 2004
    I've had both a bar and still have a post. My Flatter/Mary style bar was too flexy for my taste when riding rigid. With a suspension fork it was fine, but I thought the squishy fork defeated the purpose of a Ti bar. Sold it.

I have an Infinity post now. No problems with this one. Previously the first one started to bend, something about a certain wall thickness of the Ti. Called James and he replaced it free of charge with the thicker walled tubing. I'm probably the same weight with a full hydration pack and too many tools as you.

Give him a call or email, I'm sure he will take care of you. I sent my bent one back so he could see it and got the new one sent out quickly.

Slow But Still Pedaling
    No bending here, bars and post are both great, though I only have a couple hundred miles on each. I did lose a custom-length bolt and they filed and sent me a new one right away at no charge.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have had no bending problems at all after a year of hard use and I am not a lightweight. The only issue I had with the infinity post was that it slipped or rotated at the seat clamp if I bounced on the back of it too hard no matter how much I tightened it. I eventually solved it by using friction paste (used on carbon components) and tightening right up - hasn't rotated since. Otherwise good in fact I love them!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricone View Post
    I have had no bending problems at all after a year of hard use and I am not a lightweight. The only issue I had with the infinity post was that it slipped or rotated at the seat clamp if I bounced on the back of it too hard no matter how much I tightened it. I eventually solved it by using friction paste (used on carbon components) and tightening right up - hasn't rotated since. Otherwise good in fact I love them!
    Tricone, I'm having the same problem. Once its replaced I will try that. THANKS

I know this was covered on another thread but DAMN, does James ever return a call or email. Its been two months since he got my bars and I've heard nothing. At this rate, I'm afraid to send my post in. I'm going to order a Ti frame but I may have to go another route. Hell the first time I called Moots the guys spent a hour on the phone with me. And they don't have a dime of my money. I hope this goes well because I love Blacksheep products.

Slow But Still Pedaling
    How much torque did you put on your clamp Tricone - were you putting it on with a small hex wrench or a torque wrench? I upped mine from 6Nm to 9Nm and it stopped slipping.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I didn't check the torque. In fact in my original frustration with it slipping I managed to tighten one bolt so much it broke (I didn't know I was that strong!). I replaced it and with the friction paste and lots of torque it has not slipped for months. Fingers crossed it's fixed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    No more BlackSheep products for me. As soon as I get my bars and seatpost fixed I will sell them A.S.A.P!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I got a email from James two weeks ago telling me he was shipping my bars. I guess since he is a small shop he mailed them by horse and buggy to save money, they are still not here.