Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mattegory

Anyone talked with Brent Steelman lately

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any contact with Brent Steelman lately and thought this forum would be a decent place to check. I ordered a frame from him on May 3rd, and don't have it yet. I saw him last on Oct 31st, and was told he was finishing the last braze-ons the following day. I've emailed and called many times since then, and even drove up to his shop, but have heard nothing back.

I talked with Liz at Spectrum Powder Works, and they haven't seen my frame for powdercoating at all. I know delays can be common for a small builder like Brent, but my estimated delivery date was July 20th. I've been more than patient and the fact that I haven't heard from him in seven weeks now is ridiculous.

I want to make sure nothing bad has happened to him before I try and get my money back. I really just want to ride my new bike

Thanks.

Plays with tools
    That sure is a bummer. Brent is has been been building frames for a looooong time and I'm sure he will do right by you in the end.

pvd
    mtbr member
    He's known to be slow and unresponsive but he does great work. It's silly not to return a call though.

Send a registered letter. That will wake him up.

Mattegory
    Thanks guys.

metrotuned WoS
    Saw Brent at Fairfax Biketoberfest. Drooling over the anniversary frame, well, all the frames. Best work at the show. Hope you get your frame soon!
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Upset

Quote Originally Posted by Mattegory View Post
    I'm just wondering if anyone has had any contact with Brent Steelman lately and thought this forum would be a decent place to check. I ordered a frame from him on May 3rd, and don't have it yet. I saw him last on Oct 31st, and was told he was finishing the last braze-ons the following day. I've emailed and called many times since then, and even drove up to his shop, but have heard nothing back.

I talked with Liz at Spectrum Powder Works, and they haven't seen my frame for powdercoating at all. I know delays can be common for a small builder like Brent, but my estimated delivery date was July 20th. I've been more than patient and the fact that I haven't heard from him in seven weeks now is ridiculous.

I want to make sure nothing bad has happened to him before I try and get my money back. I really just want to ride my new bike

Thanks.
    I now know others are being ignored. My order was in early May as well. Brent emailed me in early Nov. and said my bike was done and assembled other than the stem. I thought he had custom made one. Both parties guilty of miscommunication. He said he's have it done within 10 days. I've heard nothing. He does not respond to email and his voicemail is full.

Eric the Red
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd View Post

Send a registered letter. That will wake him up.
    Only if he answers the door.

Mattegory

Contact (sort of)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Henry View Post
    I now know others are being ignored. My order was in early May as well. Brent emailed me in early Nov. and said my bike was done and assembled other than the stem. I thought he had custom made one. Both parties guilty of miscommunication. He said he's have it done within 10 days. I've heard nothing. He does not respond to email and his voicemail is full.
    I had brief contact with Brent. On the 17th and 19th I drove up to his shop and he was not there. On the 19th I put a letter in an envelope through his mail slot (which I could tell was being emptied due to the small pile on the floor.) Later that night I got an email back from him:

"Hi Matt

I am very sorry. We have been closed for the past 6 weeks. Moving and depression are the blame. I do have your frame all brazed up, but did not get it shipped to Spectrum before disappearing. I am back at the shop now for limited hours. If it still works for you I can ship your frame to Spectrum tomorrow or Wednesday. Thank you.

Brent
    "

On Wednesday the 21st I got this:

"Hi Matt

Thank you very much for your patience and support. I did not get it shipped yet, but will tomorrow.

very best,

Brent"

Now I haven't heard back from him again. I had asked Spectrum to inform me when they get my frame from Brent. I'm going out of town tomorrow until the 2nd; if Spectrum doesn't have my frame by then, I'm getting my money back and going elsewhere. This is just beyond frustrating. How do you finish a bike and then not ship it for 6 weeks? Ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Be patient, he'll get it to you. Its sounds like he's a little overwhelmed, stressed, and even depressed. Based on my experience with custom builders, they tend to unitentionally under estimate deliveries because of the unforeseen, unknowns, personal related, etc thatthey have to deal with.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    My guess is he is suffering from a severe depressive bout. We should cut him a little slag.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Steelman

I had brief contact with Brent. On the 17th and 19th I drove up to his shop and he was not there. On the 19th I put a letter in an envelope through his mail slot (which I could tell was being emptied due to the small pile on the floor.) Later that night I got an email back from him:

"Hi Matt

I am very sorry. We have been closed for the past 6 weeks. Moving and depression are the blame. I do have your frame all brazed up, but did not get it shipped to Spectrum before disappearing. I am back at the shop now for limited hours. If it still works for you I can ship your frame to Spectrum tomorrow or Wednesday. Thank you.

Brent
    "

On Wednesday the 21st I got this:

"Hi Matt

Thank you very much for your patience and support. I did not get it shipped yet, but will tomorrow.

very best,

Brent"

Now I haven't heard back from him again. I had asked Spectrum to inform me when they get my frame from Brent. I'm going out of town tomorrow until the 2nd; if Spectrum doesn't have my frame by then, I'm getting my money back and going elsewhere. This is just beyond frustrating. How do you finish a bike and then not ship it for 6 weeks? Ridiculous.
    I tried your tactic and went by the shop on Jan. 1. No one there which was to be expected. I put a note in an envelope asking that he or his wife give me a call to arrange pichup of my new bike. Put the note under the locked door. No reply yet.

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    My guess is he is suffering from a severe depressive bout. We should cut him a little slag.

Are you just making this stuff up? Not cool.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bee View Post
    I admit it is just a hunch.

Mattegory
    Quote Originally Posted by bee View Post
    Well, he did say he was depressed in his response email to me. Depression can make even mundane tasks seem insurmountable or not even worth doing (speaking from personal experience.)

It's just a frustrating position to be in as a consumer, even if I wish him the best.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Do you think making it a topic of public discussion on an internet forum is making it better for him?
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Mattegory
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF View Post
    Do you think making it a topic of public discussion on an internet forum is making it better for him?
    I think the people that have paid him a fair amount of money deserve to know why their products are not being worked on, and their communications are not returned within any reasonable frame of time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I think the people that have paid him a fair amount of money deserve to know why their products are not being worked on, and their communications are not returned within any reasonable frame of time.
    I talked to him yesterday. He has been sick lately but I think he'll do you right. He hasn't been in business for years for no reason. I'm picking up my bike this week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Being sick is not a crime or something to be embarrassed about.

Mattegory
    I talked to him yesterday. He has been sick lately but I think he'll do you right. He hasn't been in business for years for no reason. I'm picking up my bike this week.
    I would love to see pictures of it when you get it! His BOTW gallery is pretty scarce on MTBs, so something to gaze at while I continue the wait would be nice.

Mattegory
    Did you get your bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Put deposit on bike in June 2011.Talked to Brent Nov 1,2011 and was told bike would be done that week.As of Jan15, 2012 no bike ,no e-mails,Zero Contact......

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    Why email? Just call him.

Mattegory
    Doesn't pick up, voicemail has been full for over a month.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Voicemail full since the later part of Oct.2011.

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slotownroadie View Post
    Voicemail full since the later part of Oct.2011.

That can't be. How would anybody know how full another person's voicemail is or when it became full?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast