mtbr member
    May 2016

Anyone riding a KTM MTB?

Is anyone out there riding a KTM MTB? I just signed up for their ambassador program and will be receiving my new KTM Lycan at the end of the month.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeOnTwoWheels View Post
    Is anyone out there riding a KTM MTB? I just signed up for their ambassador program and will be receiving my new KTM Lycan at the end of the month.
    I've just submitted my application on Thursday, and was approved as well. If you don't mind me asking, is the Lycan a demo bike, or a purchase? Which Lycan did you select?

I'm wanting to try something very different from my current bikes, which are both Santa Cruz (Bantam & Bronson CC). Considering going with one of the carbon hardtails, a 29er, or the Kapoho 27.5+.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I purchased the Lycan and it's a model 272 22s. I'm coming off a 2016 Trek Fuel EX 8 which will be sold if I really like the Lycan. The hard tails look pretty good but i'm more of a FS guy personally.

mtbr member
    I ride a 2016 Custom built Scarp 29 Prestige and an 2015 Custom built Aera 29 too.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_b77 View Post
    I ride a 2016 Custom built Scarp 29 Prestige and an 2015 Custom built Aera 29 too.
    How do you like them?

mtbr member
    They're both excellent, the Aera is as good as any 29er HT I've ridden and the Scarp is better than my previous 29'er FS, an Anthem X

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I just ordered the Ultra 1964 650b and it should be in this week. I'm stoked. I want the Aera Pro or Myroon next. This was a close out and it was a great deal so I went with this one first. If I like it then I'll get a 29er next. I'll post pics when it gets in.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Awesome! I hope to have my Lycan 272 22s in next week or so. Ill post pics as well when i get it.

mtbr member
    I almost bought one of the Lycan models too. The 1964 was such a good deal and it's not being made this year I don't think. The website only had it on the Spring Savings tab and I wanted to make sure that I could get one. I like having a less expensive bike in the stable too.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Glad I found this thread!

I got accepted as an Ambassador to yesterday! Since I live in Southern Florida, I'm only about 1hr away from the distributor. I will go pick up my ride this afternoon. First choice is the Aera 27 Pro in 17 (M) but they are out so I'll see if the 19 (L) would work. If not I might consider the 29er. I had to chance to test ride a Aera Comp 19 last week and the bike is awesome. That 425mm chainstay is sweet! The 29 goes up to 440 but has a shorter wheelbase? Not sure here what to do.

I might pick a Fat Rat 19 while I'm at it too...

I'll keep you posted

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marthy View Post
    Glad I found this thread!

I got accepted as an Ambassador to yesterday! Since I live in Southern Florida, I'm only about 1hr away from the distributor. I will go pick up my ride this afternoon. First choice is the Aera 27 Pro in 17 (M) but they are out so I'll see if the 19 (L) would work. If not I might consider the 29er. I had to chance to test ride a Aera Comp 19 last week and the bike is awesome. That 425mm chainstay is sweet! The 29 goes up to 440 but has a shorter wheelbase? Not sure here what to do.

I might pick a Fat Rat 19 while I'm at it too...

I'll keep you posted
    Marthy,

Welcome to the brand, I'm an ambassador & rider in the UK.
    I've got an Aera 29 and a Scarp 29 (it's somewhere in 29er bikes section).

I think we need to get the mods to add a KTM page

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Marthy,

Welcome to the brand, I'm an ambassador & rider in the UK.
    I've got an Aera 29 and a Scarp 29 (it's somewhere in 29er bikes section).

I think we need to get the mods to add a KTM page

That would be a good idea!

Quick question about the 29er. I tested a 27.5 19 frame. Seat to bottom bracket distance is fine but the handlebars were like a mile away for me. So this is why I wanted a 17 frame instead. But they sold their last one few hours after I call yesterday so I have 2 options. Going 27.5 in 19 size or 29 in 17 size.

I really liked the way the extreme short chainstay of the 27.5 handle, accelerate and make the climb so easy, how's the 29er compare?

The geometry of the 27.5 in 19 size is in line with my full suspension bike (15 Trigger 27.5 Black Inc). Swapping the 95mm stem for a 30mm might do the job?

mtbr member
    That would be a good idea!

Quick question about the 29er. I tested a 27.5 19 frame. Seat to bottom bracket distance is fine but the handlebars were like a mile away for me. So this is why I wanted a 17 frame instead. But they sold their last one few hours after I call yesterday so I have 2 options. Going 27.5 in 19 size or 29 in 17 size.

I really liked the way the extreme short chainstay of the 27.5 handle, accelerate and make the climb so easy, how's the 29er compare?
    I rode an Aera 27.5 when my Aera 29 was being serviced, I didn't get on with it to be honest. The 29'er suits my riding style and climbs & descends better, in my opinion of course.

I'm 5'11" and 29'ers just seem to suit me and my riding style which leans towards long distance and marathon stuff, saying that I've raced plenty of short XCO type events too.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I rode an Aera 27.5 when my Aera 29 was being serviced, I didn't get on with it to be honest. The 29'er suits my riding style and climbs & descends better, in my opinion of course.

I'm 5'11" and 29'ers just seem to suit me and my riding style which leans towards long distance and marathon stuff, saying that I've raced plenty of short XCO type events too.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Thanks
    On another point, check out the FB KTM MTB fan page https://www.facebook.com/groups/KTMm...?ref=bookmarks and the KTM Road & CX Fan pages https://www.facebook.com/groups/1621825968093361/

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Just got my Lycan 272 22s and it's awesome! Handles quicker and pedals more efficiently than my Trek fuel EX 8. Very happy with it!!

mtbr member
    Nice, get some pictures up

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Here are a couple pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone riding a KTM MTB?-img_2947.jpg  

Anyone riding a KTM MTB?-img_2953.jpg  

Anyone riding a KTM MTB?-img_2954.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice bike, matches your truck too

mtbr member
    May 2015
    There she is, Aera 27.5 Pro. Wasn't too bad to put it together. I will drop it to the bike shop tomorrow to go tubeless and massage few things. I had time to hit my local trail before the sun went down just to shake the bike down. They were out of 17 so I got a 19 size. Need a shorter stem and everything will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Enjoy

mtbr member
    May 2016
    very nice!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Little night ride with a friend of mine who wanted to take the Fat Rat for a spin.

mtbr member
    Little night ride with a friend of mine who wanted to take the Fat Rat for a spin.

Here's my fat rat on a recent ride over the cliffs on the Atlantic Coast in Cornwall, England

mtbr member
    May 2016
    How do you like the Fat Rat?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeOnTwoWheels View Post
    How do you like the Fat Rat?
    I've only done 3 rides so far, but I'm finding it a good laugh and a very capable bike.
    Just getting the position dialed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hey guys... Just thought I throw mine out there. riding a 2015 KTM LYCAN 272.

https://imgur.com/a/5M5T5

Upgrades:
    Chromag DT saddle
    Chromag OSX Fubars
    Absolute Black 32t Oval chainring
    Sunrace 11-40 extended cassette
    Thompson Elite Dropper Post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hey Guys another approved KTM Ambassador here! I've got my Eye on the Kapoho 27.5 as a demo (if they let me) and possibly the Fat Rat as my purchase. I currently Race a Scott Spark 35 and play on a Canfield Nimble 9. Sadly i dont have a dealer close with either in stock. Would Steve_b77 would you recommend the Fat rat as a daily shred bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wcomeaux View Post
    Hey Guys another approved KTM Ambassador here! I've got my Eye on the Kapoho 27.5 as a demo (if they let me) and possibly the Fat Rat as my purchase. I currently Race a Scott Spark 35 and play on a Canfield Nimble 9. Sadly i dont have a dealer close with either in stock. Would Steve_b77 would you recommend the Fat rat as a daily shred bike?
    I've only had mine a few weeks, but for the riding I intended to do on it; coastal paths, trails with my 4yr old boy and just messing about its fantastic.

I can certainly see it being used on big social rides where covering ground fast isn't the priority, but I've got a Scarp prestige or that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Im not too worried about the Fat rat but im diving into the unknown for me. Ive been racing on my Scott since 2010 and have ZERO complaints. i cant find hardly anything (in the US) on the KTM bikes and how they perform. im looking forward to it though.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by wcomeaux View Post
    Im not too worried about the Fat rat but im diving into the unknown for me. Ive been racing on my Scott since 2010 and have ZERO complaints. i cant find hardly anything (in the US) on the KTM bikes and how they perform. im looking forward to it though.
    The Fat Rat ride really good. Once you get it going the bike has huge grip and his on rail. Coming from a XC bike (I had to check the Spark 35 quick) you might enjoy something a bit more racy like the Aera Pro that I got too. I know its an hardtail but there's nothing I can throw at this bike that it won't do. It might give up a little bit on very bumpy stuff but getting off the saddle a bit usually does the job just fine. But once you are on the hard pack that thing flys!

I went to Santos park here on Florida 2 weekend ago. I had my 15 Cannondale Trigger Carbon Inc and my new Aera Pro. I honestly had more fun with the Aera and I was more than able to keep up with anyone (Everyone in my group had FS bike) in the Vortex area of the trail (Youtube it) I even did the BMX pump track and jump with it... love this bike!