Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Any first hand info on the 8.75x2.75 shock?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by High_Rider
    yea I weigh in a 195 so it would probably to stiff for me but thanks a lot for the offer I appreciate it, if I put up a list of what im lookin at would anybody help with what they think may be better for performance or be just as good for cheaper? like here would be the list of things I want but im not sure on anything because I would like to here from you guy,here the list with the prices keep in mind im looking at this stuff at the moment and will only be able to afford about $400 in a month in stuff and dont plan on upgraded everything unlessl somethin either breaks or I have a lot of extra money

Fork : 07 Marzocchi Super T - $375

Pedals: Brooklyn Machine Works Shin Burgers - $110 I realy like the Crank Brothers Hans Ray 5050xx Rasta but cant find em

Crank: Race Face Diabolus X-Type Crankset w/ BB - $301

Rear Shock: Manitou Swinger 4-way SPV - $145 on ebay EDIT: woops I just looked at it again and its not the right size but still lookin at the 4way

Thanks a lot eric your realy helpin me out
    dude, check out ebay----some great deals on manitou shermans and travis forks right now. also check out wheelworld.com as they have some good deals on marzocchi forks. just remember if you make the switch to a 1.5 headtube you will also have to change the stem and headset.
    I put a fifth element rear shock on my bike and it works AWESOME! I got mine for 60.00 shipped-----just keep watching ebay as deals pop up. the mounting hardware was also compatible between the stock and 5th shock.
    don't drop 110.00 on pedals. I have a set of ringle zu zu's pedal i paid 30.00 for and they work fine.
    you can also get a set of truvativ husslefelt cranks and bottom bracket for around 75.00 ( ebay) or 125.00 new. I wouldn't automatically drop 300.00 or so on the race face cranks. I weight 210 and the husslefelts have never let me down.
    upgrade the bike where it needs it, just be sensible about it. don't get caught up in marketing hype. this is an awesome bike and only needs a few basic upgrades to really shine! good luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the info Thunderboltgreaseslapper, I just realy like the fact that the 5050 xx limited come in rasta haha and now thinkin about I wouldnt spend that much on pedals, now all I have to do is create a ebay acount, also what do you mean if I switch to a 1.5 headtube isnt that what the bike already is?

I wear two thongs
    Quote Originally Posted by High_Rider
    Thanks for the info Thunderboltgreaseslapper, I just realy like the fact that the 5050 xx limited come in rasta haha and now thinkin about I wouldnt spend that much on pedals, now all I have to do is create a ebay acount, also what do you mean if I switch to a 1.5 headtube isnt that what the bike already is?
    The bike is a 1.5 inch headtube but the headset has a reducer in it to run a 1 1/8" fork but that reducer can be removed to accomodate 1.5" forks as well.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    oh ok, so if I get a 1.5 fork it would be stronger and not much heavier right? one of the things I love about the Aniki is the 1.5 headtube it makes it look even more beastly haha, im about to scream cause I found a manitou sherman plus for 229.99 and dont feel like throwing out all my money right now, oh well for now im gonna get some smaller stuff like some shifter and brake levers and maybe some lock on grips, and im thinkin about takin my front disc of because when I ride it rub the brakes and its pretty loud when im goin fast and I looked at it and it looks like theres nothin for me to do, and I read on here about someone havin the same problem, I was thinkin the brakes might have to put a coating on the disc from breaking it in, cause everytime I get a rim for my bmx bike I change the pads and for the first couple days when I hit the brakes it sounds like a retarded dog howling and its loud so im thinkin that might be a reason but dont know, maybe some one could maybe know why or what to do to help or fix it, I realy appreciate everybody helpin it just makes me love mtbin more cause the bmx community is full of dirtbags I think cause theres a bunch of cocky people who can do this and that and have this and that part and I dont feel any of that in here

I wear two thongs
    check on your brake theres an allen wrench hole on the caliper side that faces the spokes if you turn this bolt it will move the non moving brake pad in or out if thats the pad thats rubbing moving it out a bit should fix the problem if its the cable driven pad just let a little bit of cable out and it should solve the problem. If none of that work and the rotor looks like it is wobbling when it spins it might be time for a new rotor.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    hey guys here are a few picof my 07 aniki in action
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Wooohooo I adjusted the one side with an allen key and no more rubbing and still brakes just as nice , thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yakuzaaniki
    hey guys here are a few picof my 07 aniki in action
    This is the first real rider taken picture of the 07 Aniki I have seen. On the website they show a straight top tube but in these pictures it looks curved like the 06. Also on the website for the 06 it shows the aniki with a Black Spinner Ammo but It came with a grey fork. I realize these are small differences but I was wondering if this is typical for bike companies to do, or a quirk of Iron Horse's?
    Last edited by Skibum00; 07-26-2007 at 04:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Nice pics yakuzaaniki

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    my frame is the 06 frame everything else on the bike is the same as the 07 i wondered myself why my frame was different then the 07 i figured it was prob an early model 07 and they had some 06 frames left does anyone else have any ideas why i have a 06 frame and every part on it is from an 07?I am gonna try to get some better jumping pics up as soon as i get a new derailleur hanger fixed

I wear two thongs
    Your frame is a darker color than my 06 frame, I wonder if they repainted some leftover 06's as well.

Heres my frame color:

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    That hardly seems legal.

The shock size on the 07 is different so if someone looks up the info and then buys a new shock they would have the wrong size. Does anyone else have an 07? Is your top tube straight or curved?

Oh by the way I forgot to say real nice pictures yakuzaaniki.

mtbr member
    I guess I'll be the guinea pig for the 8.75x2.75 shock. I'm going to go ahead and order a 5th element off santacruzmtb.com...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I emailed iron horse to see what they say about the frame. I have searched the net and i cannot find a picture of an 07 that is someones actual bike it is all ad pictures like the ones on iron horses site.

mtbr member
    Uh, oh. I have a slightly tweaked rear disc, so I was going to take it off to look at it more closely. Well, the allen bolts are IMPOSSIBLY tight. Am I missing something? I didn't want to try too much harder, because I would probably strip the head! Why is it like this? What should I do? Has anybody else had this problem?

I wear two thongs
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelie man
    Uh, oh. I have a slightly tweaked rear disc, so I was going to take it off to look at it more closely. Well, the allen bolts are IMPOSSIBLY tight. Am I missing something? I didn't want to try too much harder, because I would probably strip the head! Why is it like this? What should I do? Has anybody else had this problem?
    my rotor bolts didnt use an allen key, they were the star shaped bolts, which use a special wrench that has a star shaped head. I cant think of the name of it right now but using the correct wrench mine came right out when I changed rear wheels.

I wear two thongs
    I just won an RCS Ti spring for my Swinger on ebay for $85 (MSRP $240) its a 450lb spring. My current spring was 500lbs and I was only attaining about 25% sag with the shock set at the minimum pressure setting, according to a spring calculator 450lbs is exactly what I nead to obtain 33-45% sag while running comfortably in the shocks accepted pressure ranges.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hoefer
    my rotor bolts didnt use an allen key, they were the star shaped bolts, which use a special wrench that has a star shaped head. I cant think of the name of it right now but using the correct wrench mine came right out when I changed rear wheels.
    Hmmm, got a link to where I can get this 'special' tool? The allen key just didn't fit quite right, and now I know why!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hmmm, got a link to where I can get this 'special' tool? The allen key just didn't fit quite right, and now I know why!
    i believe its called a torque wrench. i got one at performance bike

mtbr member
    It's not a torque wrench, a torque wrench is just a socket wrench that tells you what torque you're at.
    Are these what you were talking about? I think I have some at my dad's house... http://www.amazon.com/Bondhus-31832-...5519823&sr=8-1

I wear two thongs
    there called Torx wrenches

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    hey, I hate to spam here but i have a coupla spare parts that might help some fellow aniki riders help upgrade their rides.
    I have a 2005 sherman flick 1 1/8 steerer tube that is 9 inches long with 150mm travel and thru axle $125.00 plus shipping
    Brand new bontrager big earl crankset howitzer bb. a truvativ 2006 howitzer xr bottom bracket is included ( brand new ) size 68/73 X 51 75.00 plus shipping.

bought this stuff to help out a friend get back into riding and he kinda screwed me over so........
    I would like to see this stuff go to guys riding aniki's before I list them on the bay----so i do apologize for listing them here
    either one would really help the bike.
    on my aniki i swapped the cranks, shock and fork and I wouldn't trade the bike for anything.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    hey guys i got an email back from ironhorse about the frame and he said that there were prob some 06 frames that were left over that got switched to 07's. he also said the geometry of the bike is identical as the 07 frame minus the top tube being curved so the rear shock for the 06 should be the same as the 07.

I wear two thongs
    Quote Originally Posted by yakuzaaniki
    hey guys i got an email back from ironhorse about the frame and he said that there were prob some 06 frames that were left over that got switched to 07's. he also said the geometry of the bike is identical as the 07 frame minus the top tube being curved so the rear shock for the 06 should be the same as the 07.
    Hmmm thats odd because the 06 used a 9 X 2.5 shock the 07's use (According to the IH website) an 8.75 X 2.5 shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    interesting maybe this guy that emailed me didnt know what he was talking about lol which wouldnt surprise me at all

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So I have had my aniki for about 3 weeks now and honestly i am starting to wonder what i got myself into. I am slowy losing faith in it. both rotors are warped the crank seems to be mildly bent and makes a weird noise. both shifter and brake levers need to be replaced. Right now all i feel i got for my money was a decent frame and the rest is crap. Now i know the components on it arent the greatest but all this after 3 weeks and i havent even crashed the bike or anything. Maybe my expectations were to high i dunno what do u guys think? anyone else had all these probs ?

I wear two thongs
    Im 230lbs and my crank is still true, so are my rotors. The only real mechanical problem I had with the bike was when my derraileur hanger broke due to the chain being too long. I replaced the shifters because the stock ones felt flimsy but they never really caused any problems. Maybey you got an unlucky bike? Yes the parts on it arent that great but I bought it for the frame so I could do a solid build on it but still have a bike to ride in the mean time.

DownCycles.com
    I have an 06 Aniki, and just like every bike that gets ridden, it needs some lovin'. The rotors can get warped by having the caliper out of adjustment. If you pull your brake levers, and you see the rotor move closer the caliper, the caliper needs to be adjusted. This will warp the rotor after awhile.

The crank on these bikes isn't as stout as a freerider would want. It doesn't mean it won't work for the average rider. My crank needed to be tightened after a few miles of jumps and hard landings. That's just how new bikes get broken in. Neglecting these issues will result in failure of said parts.

If you haven't crashed the bike, then why would you need to replace the brake levers? These also need some adjusting after the first couple of miles. The cables on these bikes stretch, resulting in slacked braking.

Minor adjustments make a world of difference on any bike, no matter if you are riding a Huffy, or a Bianchi. The Aniki is a very popular bike, mass produced to be shipped all over. The retailer is who assembles these bikes. We all could have a different opinion of this bike based on who we bought it from, and how they put it together. I have a great bike, at a great price, and I wrench on it weekly to ensure my ride stays tight.
    Nothing is Permanent

dosnt chng titls...o wait
    Jul 2007
    heres mine!

2 days old. its listed as an 06 but i never seen one with a streight top tube.
    whats a goodafter market freeride fork thats fully adjustable and is pretty cheap? i might just stick with the stock, i can get used to it. but if i hate it afterlike 6 months i might as well be prepared...

DownCycles.com
    What size is that? I haven't ever seen a straight top tube on an 06.

You can find some good prices on Marzocchi forks right here on MTBR. I would try to spend as much as you can on this part. Keep in mind, the rear has potential for 7" of travel, so look at forks with this amount of travel to maximize the frames potential overall.
    Nothing is Permanent

I wear two thongs
    Man weve got all kindsa frame mysteries here! Theres an 07 with an 06 style frame and an 06 with an 07 style frame!?!?!? Is that rear shock the Fox or the X-Fusion?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    thats the x-fusion

Jul 2007
    maybe its the 07 frame with 06 components? i dont really care.
    its a 15 in.

I wear two thongs
    Actually I think because its a 15" it has a straight top tube. IIRC at Hunter mtn where their primary rental bike is the Aniki some of the smaller frames have the straight TT. I think it has to do with the frame being compact and the arc in the TT not clearing the shock correctly.

DownCycles.com
    Eric, I think you are right about that top tube. We are talking about a straight tube on a 15" and I noticed on you 17" the shock is closer to the top tube then my 19". I can get my hand in between my shock and top tube, in fact that's how I carry it. It's a matter of frame size then. Yohoe's bike is a 2006 if you ask me. Doesn't matter really, it still rolls downhill.
    Nothing is Permanent

mtbr member

Marzocchi '05 888VF 170mm

Anybody here has this fork? I just need a little push to buy it, just wondering if worth it, I have a 07 model with th spinner and is very noisy. I'm not sure if this one will fit too, is at wheelworld.com for $299....

FOR SALE:Brake system/Shifter combo,Shimano Alivio 8speeds, tektro Brakes 203m rot.calipers, hdware $60.00,PM me for pics

DownCycles.com
    I ride on that fork. It's priced right, and works very well. There are no adjustments, other than ride height. You will need a different brake adapter, they run around $20.
    Nothing is Permanent

mtbr member
    Does anybody have any opinions on an 8" fork for this bike? Will it throw off the geometry? Common sense tells me it won't, but I just want to make sure. AND, I won't be buying a 8.75x2.75 shock to save $$$. I'm selling some stuff so I'll have money to buy the right size shock, and a fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elcapi
    Anybody here has this fork? I just need a little push to buy it, just wondering if worth it, I have a 07 model with th spinner and is very noisy. I'm not sure if this one will fit too, is at wheelworld.com for $299....

i rode that same fork last week its nice. my friend has that fork on his gaint faith. he in this video. for resort riding my aniki was not the greatest after riding my friens fiath my aniki felt like crap.the aniki has a good frame you just have to upgrade the suspension.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4enOowB6kn8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4enOowB6kn8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I wear two thongs
    I plan to upgrade to an 8" fork at some point, I just recently bought a Marz Bomber Z1 FRIII though last summer for it. I figure if Ive got 8 inches in the rear now I might as well match it up front. Im thinking about doing a 66. Ill most likely buy it when I have the cash, since I can throw the bomber on my SS hardtail that is currently using the spinner that came on the aniki.

Good choice on waiting on the shock, honestly though if you keep checking ebay you can find great buys on 9X2.75 shocks usually for less tha $200 for a Swinger 6-way Ive seen the 3 and 4 ways which are also great shocks go for $120-$130

Jul 2007
    are the drailer hangers warenteed on the bike? i just snaped mine in half and with a closer look found that it was tightened to extreme measures. there were teeth markes from the axel knut thing and it actually ripped the corner! ill get pics
    tubes hate me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hoefer
    I plan to upgrade to an 8" fork at some point, I just recently bought a Marz Bomber Z1 FRIII though last summer for it. I figure if Ive got 8 inches in the rear now I might as well match it up front. Im thinking about doing a 66. Ill most likely buy it when I have the cash, since I can throw the bomber on my SS hardtail that is currently using the spinner that came on the aniki.

Good choice on waiting on the shock, honestly though if you keep checking ebay you can find great buys on 9X2.75 shocks usually for less tha $200 for a Swinger 6-way Ive seen the 3 and 4 ways which are also great shocks go for $120-$130
    8 inches? Was that a typo or did you modify your frame?

I wear two thongs
    8 inches? Was that a typo or did you modify your frame?
    Yeah it was me not thinking, I meant 7 inches front and rear, I was thinking 180mm, thanks for the correction.

Gravity addict
    Hey guys...I know its been awhile but Ive got good and bad news. Good news is mixed with the bad is that my yakuza aniki will be on ebay soon. Starting reserve of $1200 will be set and to the highest bidder will recieve my pride and joy. Now I know your wondering why Im parting with my bike. Its more of a issue of that it costs to much to drive and be shuttled, and too know one around close to go riding with. So today I traded it for a specialized tricross bike, one that will be seeing 20miles a day taking me to work and back to save extra money for other needs in my home. Anyways the aniki is equipped with all the following; race face grips, diablous stem and ss evolve crankset, mrp mini me chainguide, and v8 pedals...manitou sherman slider + spv 170mm fork, and a manitou 3-way spv coil shock ( 9x2.75-with a 400lb coil), sram 06 x-9 super short rear derailuer and shifter to match, Avid code 8inch hydraulic disc brakes front and rear, and maxxis tires. The bike is butter smooth and will be missed. If you know anyone who is looking for a kick ass aniki check it on ebay monday or tuesday.
    Thanks
    How's that dirt taste?

mtbr member
    NOOOOO, my fork is dying. It squeaks when compressing, and it locks up on medium and larger sized hits. By locked up, I mean only compresses about one inch, when it should be close to bottoming. Which causes an extremely harsh landing...Plus, it lost all plushness. It just transmits every little bump straight to my arms. I need a new fork. BAD.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

NOOOOO, my fork is dying. It squeaks when compressing, and it locks up on medium and larger sized hits. By locked up, I mean only compresses about one inch, when it should be close to bottoming. Which causes an extremely harsh landing...Plus, it lost all plushness. It just transmits every little bump straight to my arms. I need a new fork. BAD.
    Hey i just went to e-bay and there is a couple of good ones for under 250! hurry up...I need to change mine too but now I dont have enough money, I want to replace front and rear at the same time so maybe I will buy the rear first and wait till the crappy spinner dies completely..lol

see ya
    FOR SALE:Brake system/Shifter combo,Shimano Alivio 8speeds, tektro Brakes 203m rot.calipers, hdware $60.00,PM me for pics

I wear two thongs
    I shot some helmet cam footage on the aniki this past weekend at Hunter Mountain in NY. Its nothing special but its at least some more aniki action footage:
    http://media.putfile.com/Hunter-Mountain-8-4-07

Jul 2007
    sweet!
    tubes hate me

Turkey Vulture N Training
    just ordered mine an 07, components are alright im gonna switch out the stock fork and put on a SuperT my buddys got and then just beat on it till stuff breaks and replace it as i go.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast