Surfing trails

Ano Black XCL with Polished Stays - My NEW XCL!!!!!!!!!!!!

***was also posted under the "Post your Chumba" section

New 2008 Small XCL with some older components from another bike.

Rider Info
    * Main purpose: aggressive XC, extreme trail riding, and chasing squirrels
    * Trail terrain: smooth singletrack and any dirt trail I can find
    * Geographic location: NC hills, trails, and flatland (in other words lots of roots)
    * Rider height and weight: too much weight and not quite high enough (5' 7.5" and 215lbs. in riding gear) - I thought I needed a Medium but the Small fits me like a glove

Bike Specs
    * Frame: 2008 Small Black Anodized XCL with polished stays
    * Fork: 2006 FOX 32 Talas RLC with updated 2008 decals
    * Shock: 2009 FOX RP23
    * Brakes: 2008 HOPE M4 with braided stainless lines and 183mm Gunsmoke rotors (yes a rear 183mm 2-piece rotor fits my XCL perfectly)
    * Cranks: 2005 Race Face Atlas
    * Pedals: DMR V12 Mag (will go clipless when I decide on pedals)
    * Front Derailleur: 2007 Shimano XTR E-Type
    * Rear Derailleur: 2005 SRAM X.0 long cage
    * Bottom Bracket: HOPE Ceramic Bearing - Gunsmoke color
    * Cassette: Shimano XT 760
    * Chain: SRAM PC-99 Hollow Pin
    * Shifters: SRAM X.0 Trigger
    * Cables: SRAM Flak Jacket (with black heat shrink tubing over the red protective liner)
    * Stem: THOMSON X4 120mm (may need a 110mm - not sure yet)
    * Headset: Cane Creek 110
    * Handlebar: FSA Gravity Carbon Riser 710mm (28 inch)
    * Grips: ODI Rogue Lock-On / HOPE Gunsmoke Grip Doctors
    * Seatpost: THOMSON Elite
    * Seatpost Clamp: CHUMBA QR
    * Saddle: Fizik Nisene HP
    * Front Tire: Kenda Blue Groove UST 2.1 w/ Stan's NoTubes goop
    * Front Wheel: Cane Creek Zonos w/ Sapim CX-Ray spokes
    * Front Skewer: HOPE QR (but having custom axle made to fit CHUMBA 9mm thru QR)
    * Rear Tire: Kenda Nevegal UST 2.1 w/ Stan's NoTubes goop
    * Rear Wheel: Cane Creek Zonos w/ Sapim CX-Ray spokes
    * Rear Skewer: HOPE QR (but having custom axle made to fit CHUMBA 10mm thru QR)
    * Frame Weight: 7.07lbs. with FOX RP23 shock, CHUMBA QR seatpost clamp and fabric chainstay protector
    * Total Bike Weight: exactly 29.71lbs. - not the lightest but fine for me
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far I LOVE this bike!! Wasn't sure about the black ano and polished stays but once I saw it in person I was hooked!!

I'm still getting the RP23 dialed in and the 28" handlebars are taking some getting used to but they feel SOOOO nice and wide. My last 2 bikes had 24" and 26" bars but this 28" has so much more control and stability.

Also the fork is a 130mm instead of 140mm but so far it feels just right. I may go for a new 2009 140mm Talas 32 with the 15QR axle but for now I'll keep this fork with the 9mm CHUMBA QR thru axle. I know the pictures show a standard 5mm Hope QR but I am having some axles for these Cane Creek hubs specially made to fit the CHUMBA thru axle QR's.

Tomorrow I'll make my final stem fit test and determine if I need a shorter stem and also trim the steerer tube down a bit.

The first few rides I've had have been great and quiet. There is NO noise at all from this bike and the suspension pivots have been silky smooth and silent! I know, the bike is brand new - but I am used to having to "work the kinks out" often with new bike builds but this one has been remarkably smooth and almost dead silent. This coming Saturday I am spending the day (go away rain) at a local set of trails that always gives a bike a proper workout so we'll see how the XCL kicks that trail in the grass!

2 known XCL issues I will address here: (I was a little apprehensive about these beforehand.)

1. Race Face Deus / Atlas cranks won't work on an XCL. Well I beg to differ. I have the Atlas on mine and it fits and turns perfectly. I have it set up with a 50mm chainline and everything shifts just like it should. No problems at all. There is a lot of room between the reverse-threaded suspension pivot bolt head and the Atlas chainrings. And the HOPE ceramic BB is SMOOTH!!!!!

2. 180mm or 7" rear rotors won't fit an XCL. I think this has to do with the hub width more than anything. Or maybe how wide the rotor mount on the hub is. Some people have been having problems with the bigger rotor scraping on the stay. I have a 183mm 2-piece rotor on the rear of my XCL and it has no clearance issues at all. Whew!! I dodged that bullet! But if I ever change to a different wheel it could present a problem.

[SIZE="4"]Enjoy the pics. There are a TON of them here: http://s414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/Nevegal/[/SIZE]

183mm rear rotor

183mm rear rotor

183mm rear rotor

183mm rear rotor

mtbr member
    Wow..nice build.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

banned
    That rig looks nice.

I'm living the dream!
    Very nice! Congrats!!

mtbr member
    Wow! She's a beaut!

Flying Goat
    wow... nice build...

I bike long tyme.
    Noice!!!

Where's my belt sander??

"El Whatever"
    Gorgeous bike...

Good to know about the Deus/Atlas... I have those and if I ever pull the trigger on a XCL now I know I can run them no probs.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    May 2008
    NICE!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    sooooooooooo sweeeeeeeeeeeeeettt. I love it!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Looks like you ran full-length derailleur cable housing

under the top tube except it's a different color there. What exactly did you do there?

Surfing trails
    No full-length housing at all. What I did was use the red cable liner that comes with the Flak Jacket cable housing - but I put black heat-shrink tubing over that red liner. I really like the Flak Jacket protection but I don't care for the look of the cheap red plastic. It's still broken housing but with a cosmetic touch-up.

See pictures below:

Surfing trails
    Thanks for the kind words everyone!! Chumba makes a killer frame!!!!

yarrrp
    May 2007
    yes they do. nice bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    man I dont know whether to go ano black or ano blue!

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
    man I dont know whether to go ano black or ano blue!
    colours....... oooooo i know how important that is...

mtbr member

15QR on Zonos Disc Team Issue ???

Man, your bike looks so cool
    Just wanted to ask how do you plan to run a 15QR fork on your 9mm CC front hub?
    I have the same wheels and it looks like a big problem
    Do Cane Creek have a special hub for 15QR ??? they are not making the Zonos anymore...

mtbr member
    Options for 15mm that I know of and have used: DT Swiss, Hope, Crank Brothers, Shimano -- has anyone used Chris King or I9?
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Surfing trails
    Thanks for the compliments!

I am truly loving this bike! I still haven't tried out a shorter stem on it because sometimes the 120mm feels perfect, then sometimes I think it's too long. It can't be that far off if I have ridden it over a month with a huge smile on my face. Also the rear shock should be tuned by PUSH in the upcoming months (as soon as I can part with it for a few days).

OK, the hub question: on my Zonos wheels there are removable axles with QR end caps. When you take the QR caps off the front axle you now have a hollow axle that is exactly 9mm inside diameter. So I used a dremel tool to carefully shave off the QR tips from the axle caps and drilled out each axle cap to a 9mm opening. Now a Chumba 9mm QR thru axle fits perfectly into the hub and secures my Zonos wheel to the fork. Not a huge improvement when compared to 15mm or 20mm axles but way better than a dinky standard 5mm quick release skewer.

I did the same thing to the rear Zonos hub. Only the rear axle inside diameter was originally 8mm. So I clamped the axle down in a vice with a few layers of padding and cardboard and I carefully drilled out the axle with a 10mm drill bit. Also the same treatment on the QR axle end caps. Now the rear Zonos wheel has a 10mm Chumba thru axle instead of the 5mm skewer and I can tell a HUGE difference in the feel of the rear end!!

As for the 15mm front hub question: When you remove the axle from the front Zonos hub you notice it is exactly 15mm outside diameter (and 9mm inside diameter from 2 paragraphs above). Therefore a 15QR axle will fit perfectly in the Zonos hub. The inside diameter of the Zonos hub bearings is 15mm.

Only two problems are 1. you'll need to fabricate some sort of axle end caps that hold the hub centered in between the fork legs and 2. the 15QR fork axle will be riding directly on the bearings instead of on a separate axle sheath. I haven't tried this yet and so far I'm still using the QR dropout 2006 Talas. But I have had 2 people in the bicycle manufacturing world tell me 2 different opinions. One said that the Fox 15QR axle riding directly on the Zonos hub bearings will work just fine. Another told me that it is not good for the fork axle to ride directly on the hub bearings and that a sheath or sleeve is needed in between the fork axle and the inside bearing race. He said that it would damage the fork axle over time. Again, I haven't tried the 15QR fork yet on these Zonos wheels but the temptation to tinker and find out for myself is definitely there.