Thread: 853 vs cromoly?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

853 vs cromoly?

No luck in the frame forum so I'll try here. I am interested in a new 26" steel frame with v-brake bosses. I am comparing the voodoo bizango vs the wanga. The bizango has 853 tubing and is listed almost 1/2 pound more. I thought the whole advantage of 853 is the ablity to use thinner steal and still have strong welds, thus making it lighter. Anybody actually weigh these frames, or can compare the 2 bikes?
    I am trying to justify the price difference between the frames. Does the Bizango provide a better ride or more durability? Thankyou for any bike or steel comparisons.

bonked
    Do you have the ability to test ride either? Frankly the tubing isn't going to make a huge difference if the bike doesn't fit you the way you like. You may read great things about one bike or another, or your buddies may say 'hey dude you gotta get this bike or that' but in the long run it is all about how the bike fits YOU. Forget about the tubing comparison and ride the bike first. Then if the thing feels right you can start to worry about a few onces.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I agree fit is #1. I don't have access to a demo so I have been comparing the geometry to my current frame. The effective top tube is 1/4 inch shorter so I think the fit should be close to what I'm used to.

bonked
    Quote Originally Posted by rail the trail
    I agree fit is #1. I don't have access to a demo so I have been comparing the geometry to my current frame. The effective top tube is 1/4 inch shorter so I think the fit should be close to what I'm used to.
    I used to sell Voodoo back in the mid 90s and really liked the way they rode. I don't know if they have made any changes since, but if not I suspect I personally wouldn't be too unhappy picking one up. Frankly the ride quality difference between their 853 and house blend chromo wasn't significant enough to make me decide to jump up to 853. I guess there are strength differences that might be worth considering, and of course image factor.

If you can find any way to ride one I recommend it before you pop for one.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

local trails rider
    I see lots of different frames on the Voodoo website but it is hard to get an idea what the real difference is: the character of the different frames.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I would go for the wanga but I don't want to deal with the sliding drop outs. I will be running 1 X 9 and not single speed. I have read that paint will need to be removed and some people still have some issues with the sliders moving. I would also have to spring $55 for hanger replacements if or when needed.
    The Wanga has more bottom bracket clearance and a longer head tube than the Bizango. Everything else seems the same.
    Right now I am leaning towards the Bizango. It will be for x-mas so I have some time to find some deals and hopefully check it out somewhere.

agu
    mtbr member
    Hi RailTheTrail

Have you considered the VooDoo HooDoo? Same geo as the Biz and rides nice. I did mine up as a 1x9.

It uses 'house-blend' steel as opposed to Reynolds 853 and has normal dropouts instead of Breezer ones.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I saw that bike on the web site but the online retailers I've seen don't provide it. Is the main triangle 631 like the Wanga? Do you know the actual frame weights for the frames? I know I could probably get the Hoodoo at the lbs but the online deals are helpful to get their prices down.

agu
    mtbr member
    Not sure about the frame weight but I built up my 17" HooDoo, 1x9 drivetrain, xtr/xt dcl/caliper combo, xt+mavic 230bsp wheelset, RS SID 100 to a little under 24lbs.

Steel used is VooDoo Black Magic Cromoly (aka house blend). I think the old Wangas used Reynolds 631.

As far as I know only the Bizango uses Reynolds tubing now.
    Last edited by agu; 10-15-2008 at 10:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the info agu. Anybody know a voodoo dealer in eastern Mass or in Connecticutt? I will be going there next month.

agu
    mtbr member
    check out BTI's listings of bike shops, searchable via ZIP code.

https://www.bti-usa.com/public/store_locator

BTI is the US distributor for VooDoo

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah thanks, I did that and I have shops that can get me a frame but nothing actually in the shop. I was hoping to do a parking lot ride somewhere.