Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 6 Point photos

mtbr member
    You are both right: The 6Point uses a 12mm Thru-Axle with a Quickrelease Lever.

Cheers da_killerk

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    any clue where can i get one?

Stray Bullet
    DT Swiss makes one. Look it up on their site.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    DT Swiss makes one. Look it up on their site.
    Doesn't the RWS come in 9mm and 10mm axles but not 12mm?
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    Doesn't the RWS come in 9mm and 10mm axles but not 12mm?
    You're right. They make it in 150mm width so I assumed it came with a 12mm axle diameter. Instead it is 10mm x 150mm rear end. I wonder what frame they designed

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Comp...thru-bolt.aspx

Iron Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    The shock in the picture is just shy of 8.75 i2i which lowered the BB back to stock and slackened the angles a bit. According to my cheap angle finder, the current SA is 72.5 and HA is 67.5. Those numbers are pretty close to my 6Pack with SA of 72 and HA of 67. So it's no surprise they ride very similar.

I have ridden a 6Point with an 8.5x2.5 shock & Lyrik up front; BB sits at 13.6, HA I think was around 67*. I really liked this slack and low version of the 6Point on downhill and corners; a bit tricky on rocky climbs (gotta watch those pedals) but very nice overall. You can actually achieve the same effective BB if you run 35% sag on an 8.75x.2.75 shock and get the benefit of longer travel.

The Large frame is on its way to its new owner.
    i checked out the fox site looking for any info on the 8.5 i2i shocks but have not seen one with 2.75 in stroke. i went on ebay and someone is selling 8.5x2.75 and wasn't sure it was just a typo. can anyone shed some light on this. i run a long travel fork and i plan to convert the rear travel to 7.1" to compliment my fork but the BB was raised about .22 inches. with an 8.5 i2i shock i would get back the original BB height and wouldn't mind slackening the HA more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcornelia
    i checked out the fox site looking for any info on the 8.5 i2i shocks but have not seen one with 2.75 in stroke. i went on ebay and someone is selling 8.5x2.75 and wasn't sure it was just a typo. can anyone shed some light on this. i run a long travel fork and i plan to convert the rear travel to 7.1" to compliment my fork but the BB was raised about .22 inches. with an 8.5 i2i shock i would get back the original BB height and wouldn't mind slackening the HA more.

I have yet to see a 2.75" stroke shock with an i2i of 8.5".

mtbr member
    Yea I've seen the quick release's on the new 6points. They're not DT Swiss, but what ever they are it seems really convenient, and I want one.

Stray Bullet
    Avy will make you a 8.5 x 2.75 shock. You should make sure there isn't any frame clearance issues as a result of the shorter compressed length.

mtbr member
    Rock Shox Makes a 12mm Maxle Thru axle.
    2007 Ironhorse 6.4
    2006 Ironhorse Yakuza Bakuto
    2003 Ironhorse Warrior

mtbr member
    Rock Shox Makes a 12mm Maxle Thru axle.
    2007 Ironhorse 6.4
    2006 Ironhorse Yakuza Bakuto
    2003 Ironhorse Warrior

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    i've had the bike for a month or so now and before this i had a Reign x, the head angle on the X was way slacker
    and i loved it so welcome 888's to make this bike feel spot on.

the forks are the WC ATA's so i can drop the travel back to 160 or let it all out for some serious fun

35 lb with mud attached

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whore
    i've had the bike for a month or so now and before this i had a Reign x, the head angle on the X was way slacker
    and i loved it so welcome 888's to make this bike feel spot on.

the forks are the WC ATA's so i can drop the travel back to 160 or let it all out for some serious fun

35 lb with mud attached
    That is one sexy 6point.
    Damn!

Im getting hot
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    May 2008

My new 6.8

Hi all,
    Thought I'd post up some pics of my new 6 point, picked it up frame only half price in a sale .

Bit concerend the medium might be too small with the "effective" 23" TT but I think its ok after a couple of rides and its amazing round corners - way better than my old Yeti ASX.

Still not sure about the Air shock keep putting air in, then taking it out and never being happy; looking at putting on a 8.75 x 2.75 roco to go 7" !.

Its awesome, tad heavy but awesome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Spoon08-

That's a sweet 6 Point, congrats! Your going to love the bike the more you use it. I suggest getting a Roco coil or an old Fox Vanilla RC, something without a platform. The bike works great with an air shock, but a coil shock completely changes the ride and brings it to a new level of fun.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks,

The shock feels like it has no mid stroke, either pump air in and its not supple or let air out and it bottoms out, even after tweaking the bottom out adjuster.

Don't want to make it too heavy with a coil though, thats my only reservation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    There's a modification to the DHX air that works great to fix the mid-stroke issue. I did it to my shock and it virtually fixed the problem: DHX air upgraded with the RP3 air sleeve
    A coil still feels better but this will allow you to drop the air pressure on your DHX-air while still having better mid stroke support and small bump compliance. I used the plastic fill method and it worked wonders. Just pop the outer cannister off and fill it some plastic and grease and give it a whirl.

On a related note FOX must have caught on to this because their new DHX-air shocks all have small cannisters on them now.....go figure!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

6Point Shocks (just a little spam)

Quote Originally Posted by spoon08
    Thanks,

The shock feels like it has no mid stroke, either pump air in and its not supple or let air out and it bottoms out, even after tweaking the bottom out adjuster.

Don't want to make it too heavy with a coil though, thats my only reservation.

spoon08, I have both the Roco TST and ISX-6 air shocks for my 6 Point, both are much better suited to the 6-Point, than the DHX-A. I actually have two ISX-6 shocks, if you are interested PM me as I will be selling one of these shortly.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    rideitall,

Thanks for the offer, I've just picked up a roco WC to go 7" with coil plushness.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yo - Nice rides, you are giving me great ideas on mods for my 07 6point6. I have the stock setup. I am really happy with everything. I am looking to maybe get rid of my air fork and shock. I have a Marzocchi Z1 FR, and a dhx 3.0. in the resale world it doesn't look like I can get much for these, so with your cost concious brains on, does anyone recommend a 6-7 inch coil setup at a price that allows me to eat food during the week? I am checking out some used 66's, any thoughts on the 55's? Also I rode a new lyric (a friend picked up the 08 6poiny6), but wahoo those are spendy, just rambiling now, but any advice that would be great on changing my setup.

mtbr member
    I have a custom 6point8. I immediately replaced the dhx5-a for a roco tst with Ti coil.
    I ran it that way for a while and then I read about the volume mod on the dhx-a. I did it and the shock has been killing it. It works great, no complaints whatsoever. I just rode it today on some hard DH'ing and it performed excellently.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hogfish6.6
    Yo - Nice rides, you are giving me great ideas on mods for my 07 6point6. I have the stock setup. I am really happy with everything. I am looking to maybe get rid of my air fork and shock. I have a Marzocchi Z1 FR, and a dhx 3.0. in the resale world it doesn't look like I can get much for these, so with your cost concious brains on, does anyone recommend a 6-7 inch coil setup at a price that allows me to eat food during the week? I am checking out some used 66's, any thoughts on the 55's? Also I rode a new lyric (a friend picked up the 08 6poiny6), but wahoo those are spendy, just rambiling now, but any advice that would be great on changing my setup.
    Look for a used 2006 66rc2x. They have 170mm travel. I am running a 07' 6rc2x with 180mm and it is awesome. Lyric coil looks good as does a Fox 36 van.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that the 06 66 has less travel then the newer. Where is the best place to look for that volume mod on the DHX? I am assuming somewhere on this site. I will start searching, but that sounds cheaper then a new shock. Also as far as I can tell my bike pedals sweet without a propedal, dw gets it done. Another random side note, I took off the stock tires that were on there, some WTB Timberwolfs (2.5f-2.35r) and put on some Maxxis Advantage Tires that I got from a friend for free (2.4f&r). What a difference, I climb like a billygoat, and am much more nimble. Anyhow, thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that the 06 66 has less travel then the newer. Where is the best place to look for that volume mod on the DHX? I am assuming somewhere on this site. I will start searching, but that sounds cheaper then a new shock. Also as far as I can tell my bike pedals sweet without a propedal, dw gets it done. Another random side note, I took off the stock tires that were on there, some WTB Timberwolfs (2.5f-2.35r) and put on some Maxxis Advantage Tires that I got from a friend for free (2.4f&r). What a difference, I climb like a billygoat, and am much more nimble. Anyhow, thanks for the info.
    Regarding the tires, how do you rate them as far as descending is concerned? Are they better, equal? Those new set of tires are intended to be used in FR according to maxxis.com.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    hogfish6.6-

The DHX air volume modification easy to do. Scroll down to the bottom of this post: DHX air upgraded with the RP3 air sleeve

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    [QUOTE=afrmonteiro]Regarding the tires, how do you rate them as far as descending is concerned? Are they better, equal? Those new set of tires are intended to be used in FR according to maxxis.com.

I would say these are a much better tire all the way around. They descend way faster, cornering is easier, more stable. I am not sure where you are from, but if you have ever ridden Galbraith mountain in Bellingham Washington, that is where I do the bulk of my riding. Those other tires were way to knobby. Might be better for some purpose, but not sure what that would be....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    Look for a used 2006 66rc2x. They have 170mm travel. I am running a 07' 6rc2x with 180mm and it is awesome. Lyric coil looks good as does a Fox 36 van.
    Found a good deal on a used totem coil, should I jump on it? If I am running the stock DHX air will my geometry get messed up to much, or will it still run smooth?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by afrmonteiro
    Regarding the tires, how do you rate them as far as descending is concerned? Are they better, equal? Those new set of tires are intended to be used in FR according to maxxis.com.

I would say these are a much better tire all the way around. They descend way faster, cornering is easier, more stable. I am not sure where you are from, but if you have ever ridden Galbraith mountain in Bellingham Washington, that is where I do the bulk of my riding. Those other tires were way to knobby. Might be better for some purpose, but not sure what that would be....
    Well i definitely don't know the place you referring to cos im from Portugal :P
    Anyway, the only thing I've already noticed is that in hard terrain, like rocks and stuff like that, cornering can be dangerous. I'll keep this tire setup untill I broke some bone ahhaha
    The bike is pretty new (2 months), so I'm still recognizing the full functionality of it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I agree, the cornering was hard to trust on those tires, the Maxxis are definately a great improvement. Say hello to portugal for me, have fun out there...

mtbr member

Hogfish - looking to sell your current fork?

hogfish,

What are you currently running up front? i have an '08 6 point 4 with the marzocchi 55R (160mm) fork that I would like to upgrade. i too ride galbraith (work in van, live in blaine) and might be interested in your current fork if you upgrade to the totem. unless you have the same fork, it will likely be an improvement over mine.

by the way, the longer travel totem should slaken things slightly which might not improve climbing at galbraith, but a lot more fun gravity ridding at galbraith, north shore in vancouver or whistler.

mtbr member
    Found a good deal on a used totem coil, should I jump on it? If I am running the stock DHX air will my geometry get messed up to much, or will it still run smooth?

I have heard the Totem coil is a great fork. I am running my stock dhx-a with the 180mm 66.
    I did perform the volume mod on the shock. It feels very balanced front and rear.
    Whether you would like it or not, IDK. Mine combo has been killing it. It really can handle a lot of aggressive riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have a 06 Marzocchi z1 FR SL Doppio Air. I have not seen a lot of these around. I am only upgrading because I have tried and enjoy coil up front and like you said, looking for the extra plush on the gravity rides. The positives of this fork is there are 4 air chambers, Rebound Dampening, and compression adjustment, it is very adjustable, very light. 160mm like the 55. Also will only upgrade if I find the right deal, but I would talk to you about selling this fork if you have interest.

Chumley for prez!
    I've got an 08' 6point6 that I am running with the stock dhxair. I don't hate the rear shock. I think I have finally found some settings I am happy with. It took quite a bit of fiddling though. I have not done the air chamber mod, and it seems to be working OK.
    As far as the fork, I have both the stock lyrik soloair as well as a totem coil. I have been switching out forks depending on usage. I haven't ridden at galbraith, so I can't really comment, but if the trails you typically ride are smooth and flowy without a ton of huge rock gardens then I would opt for the lyrik. I live in Utah and for the bulk of trail riding I do the lyrik feels great. I only put the totem on if I'm not in a hurry climbing, or if I'm DHing at deer valley (lots of loose corners, big rock gardens, very technical, not so flowy). The totem doesn't wack out the geometry (probably 66.5HA, 14.2bb), but for smoother, more flow oriented trails, the 67HA, 13.8bb with the lyrik is great.
    A 2006 66r2x would be as good, if not better than the totem coil, and cheaper as well.
    n

shredder
    Oct 2007
    what does putting on a 8.5 x 2.5 shock reduce the travel to???

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbot5000
    what does putting on a 8.5 x 2.5 shock reduce the travel to???
    Nothing since the stock shock is 8.75" x 2.5". Using an 8.5" x 2.5" shock will lower the BB and slacken the head angle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

New 6 point 6

Here she is!

2008 Iron Horse 6 Point 6

* Frame Size & Color: 17" URBAN GREEN SATIN
    * Shock: FOX DHX AIR 5.0, 8.75"X2.5"
    * Fork: ROCK SHOX LYRIK SOLO AIR, 160MM
    * Brakes: AVID JUICY 7 W/ 185MM ROTORS
    * Cranks: FSA GRAVITY GAP MEGA EXO
    * Front Derailleur: SHIMANO SAINT, W/ E-THIRTEEN DRS GUIDE
    * Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9 MID CAGE
    * Shifters: SRAM X.9 TRIGGER
    * Pedals: CRANK BROS ACID
    * Stem: RACE FACE EVOLVE AM
    * Handlebar: EASTON EA70, LOW RISE
    * Seatpost: RACE FACE EVOLVE XC
    * Saddle: WTB PURE V RACE
    * Bottom Bracket: FSA MEGAEXO, 83MM
    * Cassette: SRAM PG-980, 11/34T, 9 SPEED
    * Headset: ORBIT Z, ZEROSTACK
    * Grips: ODI ROGUE LOCK-ON
    * Front Tire: MAXXIS MINION F DH 60A COMPOUND, SINGLE PLY, 2.5"
    * Front Rim: DT/SWISS E540, 32H
    * Front Hub/Skewer: ALLOY SEALED BEARING, 110MM X 20MM THRU AXLE, 32H
    * Rear Tire: MAXXIS MINION F DH 60A COMPOUND, SINGLE PLY, 2.35"
    * Rear Rim: DT/SWISS E540, 32H
    * Rear Hub/Skewer ALLOY SEALED BEARING, 150MM X 12MM THRU AXLE, 32H
    * Weight 36.3LBS

GAME ON!
    super nice colour
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    [QUOTE=SJan]Here she is!

Nice ...... i just ordered the same bike.

mtbr member
    my dad is thinking about ordering one of those soon... after he sells his boat..that way we can go ride with me.

cup
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    hi guys, got a quick question, is there any draw backs to the D-W link ? cause like vpp, i heard it has a soggy french fries back. and the single pivot has brake jacks and all. i would love to know bout the DW linkages pros and cons. thanks.

mtbr member
    The only draw back is that itís a dying breed, and will soon be extinct (at least for IH).
    Seriously, though, no drawbacks, the DW link is one of the best. Go for it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yes DW link is awesome. I see no drawbacks as well

Buy an IH cos you won't regret the money!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Can someone tell me what is the size of the headset of 2007 6point? I'm a lil bit n00b and I have to be sure if it is 1 1/5 or 1 1/8.

thanks

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    It is 1 1/8 integrated, it is NOT 1.5.

mud junkie
    Can anyone tell me what seat post size the 6point 6 has? think i read in the website that it's 30.0mm ... not sure if its a typo and is supposed to be 30.9mm?

Also, I am 5'7" and currently own a small Chumba XCL (22.5 TT length) with a straight seatpost and 90mm stem.... What 6point6 size should I get? and do I use a layback seatpost with it?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    DarKmaN, it is 30.0

I added a Gravity dropper seatpost and I love it. I went with the turbo model, down 4" or 1". Also have a set of Crank Brother's Mallets from the LBS now because the original Crank Brothers Acid "OEM" had the bearings falling apart after about 10-15 rides. Their customer service guy was quick to offer an upgrade to the Acid series that actually have replaceable cartridge bearings. The new acids came in the other day, but I'll keep those as a spare.

The rear hub seams to grab every once in a while anyone have that problem?

Other than that the bike has been great, love the Lyric fork, love the DHX, the breaks are a little squeaky but it doesn't really bother me, I like sounding like a garbage truck.

mtbr member
    The seatpost dia is 30.0mm. I just replaced mine.

Regarding frame size, I'd go with the M. TT length is 22" w/o layback post. If you decide you want a layback post, you might be able to get by with the S. You can always shorten the stem on the M to make it feel tighter... I am 5'11" and I run the L frame with a 50mm DH stem. Shorter bikes are easier the through around, longer bikes a little easier to pedal.

mud junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by gfcipriani
    The seatpost dia is 30.0mm. I just replaced mine.

Regarding frame size, I'd go with the M. TT length is 22" w/o layback post. If you decide you want a layback post, you might be able to get by with the S. You can always shorten the stem on the M to make it feel tighter... I am 5'11" and I run the L frame with a 50mm DH stem. Shorter bikes are easier the through around, longer bikes a little easier to pedal.

Thanks man.. it's really odd coz the guys at IH said it's a 30.0mm.. Though a lot of users say it's 30.9mm...

Yes, I ordered the medium (without thinking). I run a 70mm stem and a straight post on my Chumba with a 22.5 TT so I figured the medium is the best option. Kinda scared about the stand over though coz IH doesn't publish them.. Figure us Asians have shorter legs. Guess i'll find out when the frame arrives.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    All of you 6 Point 6 owners. I'm going to order one, however I'm not sure about sizing. If anyone can chime in with some advice i'd greatly appreciate it. I'm around 5'11" but i like shorter bikes. I was set on the 17" but it looks a bit small. What do you guys think????

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast