Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 55 vs. 36

mtbr member

55 vs. 36

Ok - so I am pretty close to building up a VF2 or XCL. I have one major decision left: 55 or 36. I have always like the small bump compliance - and tracking of the Z1 forks. On the other hand, Fox has a stellar reputation for precise steering and overall quality of their forks. So I have been debating back and forth between the 55 Micro ATA (the modern day equivalent of the Z1 according to Marz) and the Fox 36RC2.

Before I ordered - I wanted to take the time to ponder and reflect on this important decision. Assuming money was not a factor - what have your experiences been on both forks?

I also have a new Roco Lo on order that will throw on the bike - but I can swap it out anytime.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    My buddy has been riding a 36 for several months. It still has a fair bit of stiction. How about one of the rockshox, revelation, pike, lyrik? My revelation is buttery smooth, not much fork dive, great adjustability.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by chumbacabra
    My buddy has been riding a 36 for several months. It still has a fair bit of stiction. How about one of the rockshox, revelation, pike, lyrik? My revelation is buttery smooth, not much fork dive, great adjustability.
    I saw that the new Reba comes in 20mm - anyone have any experience with it?

-A.

mtbr member
    I had a reba team and liked it, I just wanted more travel.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

I'm living the dream!
    Seems like the Reba would be a better choice for the VF2 since it's billed as a XC bike. I would think the 55 and 36 would be too burley for that frames intended purpose. Just my impression though.

As for the XCL, I like the 140mm travel that my Pike delivers but have seen/heard of other people running a 160mm fork and liking it.

yarrrp
    May 2007
    do not waste your money on the zoke no matter what. they have gone to poo. fox 36 is money. lyrik is good. the spring version is buttery. pikes are great forks, poor adjustment though. check out the 15mm axel fox forks for your purpose should be money

wuss
    So your contemplating between a 36, 55 and Reba? :O

How about one of the new Revelations? They come with 20mm axels and my (old one) is really nice. The Pike I had before this Revelation was really nice too.

Trophy Husband
    I would stay away from the air version of Marz forks. Too many problems and I just can't stand the TST damper they come with. If you must have Marz, go RC3. Do not vary from this rule. They are heavy and coil sprung, but feel great (traditional Marz goodness). No travel adjust either.

I have a 36 Talas rc2 and think it feels pretty good...although, I just got it back from Fox and the new seals/bushings are sticky as hell. I'm sure it'll get better.

If you don't need 160mm of travel, I'd go pike...or Fox 32 Talas 150 RC2.

Good luck.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have an XCL and I am running the Fox 32 Talas. It has all the adjustment you need and travel adjustment. I have found the 140mm height to be fine, even for climbing. When I built up my bike the 15mm axel was not out yet, so I went with traditional quick release, the fork is so solid, I love it. The XCL I test rode for a four days had the Rockshox pike with U-turn, that was a really good fork as well. The Fox is lighter and I like how easy it is to manual.
    Ride Fast Take Chances

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Can the VF2 take a 160mm fork?

like a Fox 36 or Marz 55?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have a 36 Talas on my Evo, and it's ideal.

If I were building an XCL my fork of choice would be the Pike.

If I were building a VF2 I'd look to the 32 Talas.

The 36 is built to be a freeride-capable AM fork, and it seems to me that it would be too much fork for a VF2, which is built to be a lightweight XC bike.

All 3 frames are good frames, and most of the forks under discussion are good forks, it just seems sensible to me to choose a fork that's aimed at the same kind of riding as the frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

I was

actually thinking the same so i was surprized that the 36 was considered for the VF2

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    Marzocchi forks suck ass, period. Do not think the Z1 is any indicator of current POS Marz.

The best fork IMHO in the 150-160 range, by a mile, is the Lyrik coil U-turn. The lyrik 2-step I think would make me nervous given the number of people i know that have had issues. I would get the 36 Talas over the Lyrik 2 step and Marz should not be considered. My new 66 ATA was also a POS so yeah, RS or Fox with the Lyrik coil DOMINATING the buckets of forks. The only thing that sux ass more than marz is the fact that the Lyrik coil now no longer comes in 1.5 for some stoopid reason (2008s did).

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    The only thing that sux ass more than marz is the fact that the Lyrik coil now no longer comes in 1.5 for some stoopid reason (2008s did).
    1.5 is for sissies.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    1.5 is for sissies.
    good point...i forgot you run a 1.75 headtube...

chur

mtbr member

Marzocchi forks suck ass, period. Do not think the Z1 is any indicator of current POS Marz.

The best fork IMHO in the 150-160 range, by a mile, is the Lyrik coil U-turn. The lyrik 2-step I think would make me nervous given the number of people i know that have had issues. I would get the 36 Talas over the Lyrik 2 step and Marz should not be considered. My new 66 ATA was also a POS so yeah, RS or Fox with the Lyrik coil DOMINATING the buckets of forks. The only thing that sux ass more than marz is the fact that the Lyrik coil now no longer comes in 1.5 for some stoopid reason (2008s did).
    I had a Lyrik coil on my EVO - was one of the plushest rides I can remember next to the Z1 light. Its too bad to hear about the issues with the newer Marz forks -

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

How will a VF2 handle 160mm fork with A2C of 545?

It is after all a XC frame, Isn't it?

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by rmargoli
    It is after all a XC frame, Isn't it?
    It is described as a "tough trail bike". Translation: All Mountain Hardtail or Long Travel Hardtail.

It looks to be designed around a 140mm fork (515-518mm a2c). A 160mm fork would slacken the head angle by ~1 degree and raise the BB height to around 12-12.2". Of course, wheelbase would be longer too.

Sounds pretty damned good to me. Personally, I think I'd prefer the 160 (disclaimer, I like slack angles).

I wish it were available in steel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    36 36 36 36 36 36

Marz move to "made in taiwan" has destryed the superb reputation they italians had built up. They no longer have the small bump compliance and they no longer have the reliability.

Lyriks are also good but the fox 36 is the best fork on the market by miles and miles. Not just my opionion read the reviews

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    It is described as a "tough trail bike". Translation: All Mountain Hardtail or Long Travel Hardtail.
    Some confusion here I think. The OP talked of building up an XCL or VF2, and was looking at a 55 or 36. Some of us were questioning whether a 55 or 36 would make any sense at all on a VF2.

The All Mountain Hardtail/tough trail bike in the Chumba lineup is the HX1. The VF2 is described as a "light weight, race-inspired, cross-country bike".

I can't figure why you'd think of putting a 36 on a light weight, race-inspired, cross-country bike. For me light racy frames go with light racy forks, and tough burly frames go with tough burly forks. But maybe I'm old fashioned...

I note that Chumba's build kit for the VF2 uses Fox F120 RLC or Fox 32 Talas 140 RLC, which seems just about right to me. Maybe a Pike if you wanted a through axle and more of a light trail bike build. 36 would to me be just too much fork for that frame. If your riding demands a 36 you should be looking XCL or even Evo, not VF2. IMO of course...

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by dayuhan
    Some confusion here I think. The OP talked of building up an XCL or VF2, and was looking at a 55 or 36. Some of us were questioning whether a 55 or 36 would make any sense at all on a VF2.

The All Mountain Hardtail/tough trail bike in the Chumba lineup is the HX1. The VF2 is described as a "light weight, race-inspired, cross-country bike".

I can't figure why you'd think of putting a 36 on a light weight, race-inspired, cross-country bike. For me light racy frames go with light racy forks, and tough burly frames go with tough burly forks. But maybe I'm old fashioned...

I note that Chumba's build kit for the VF2 uses Fox F120 RLC or Fox 32 Talas 140 RLC, which seems just about right to me. Maybe a Pike if you wanted a through axle and more of a light trail bike build. 36 would to me be just too much fork for that frame. If your riding demands a 36 you should be looking XCL or even Evo, not VF2. IMO of course...
    Overall yes, I'd agree with this assessment. However, I must say that after riding the VF2 - the rear end imho - was keeping up really well with the front suspension - meaning it was really stiff and soaking up the bumps with ease. I thought I might be able to put a longer travel fork on it and see how much I could push the frame. The bike being designed around a 140mm fork -- means that is where most people will feel like the bike is at the right spot in terms of geometry -- but you can always dial the travel down on a talas to 140. I am definitely not saying this bike can be jumped or hucked like a XCL can -- but I just thought it might be interesting to see how it goes. At 5.8lbs. for the frame, we were able to build up the bike lighter than 25lbs. and that means that it can be used as a XC race frame as well - but I don't personally ride endurace races although other people here do and said the same thing about the 36 being overkill - so I guess it's just personal preference.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by dayuhan
    Some confusion here I think....
    You are correct! I was absolutely confused...I should pay more attention. Ooops, I take back what I said....

xcl = 160mm
    vf2 = 150mm talas

mtbr member
    Can't speak for the 55ATA but the '09 55 RC3 is the bomb. Superb small bump compliance (yes, better than my 36 Van), exceptional midstroke feel and plushness, stellar bottom out resistance, and flex-free. Only down side I see so far is the weight (6.2lbs). It would be a great match for the EVO... pretty good match for the XCL if you want 160mm... definitely not for the VF2.

I wonder if every '07-'08 Marz fork was crap or there were just enough vocal owners of forks with problems to really submarine Marz's reputation.

So far, the '09 RC3 has shown no signs of past woes. Hope they've got things sorted... because I really like this fork.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Can't speak for the 55ATA but the '09 55 RC3 is the bomb. Superb small bump compliance (yes, better than my 36 Van), exceptional midstroke feel and plushness, stellar bottom out resistance, and flex-free. Only down side I see so far is the weight (6.2lbs). It would be a great match for the EVO... pretty good match for the XCL if you want 160mm... definitely not for the VF2.

I wonder if every '07-'08 Marz fork was crap or there were just enough vocal owners of forks with problems to really submarine Marz's reputation.

So far, the '09 RC3 has shown no signs of past woes. Hope they've got things sorted... because I really like this fork.
    i have also heard no complaints about Marz 2010 lineup so that proves there are no issues

ride hard take risks
    i have also heard no complaints about Marz 2010 lineup so that proves there are no issues
    I have had poor luck with Marz myself but as many products there are good and not so, maybe the new ownership will benefit Marz.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast