Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Roc
    mtbr member

26 or 29 zion fork?

Today my new 26" Zion fork arrived at my door. I actually bought the 26" fork for my 29er. I read somewhere that they worked fine. After close inspection of the fork I noticed that the numbers 29 are engraved in the steerer tube so now I'm wondering if I really have a 29er fork and their was a mix up or does the 29 engraving mean something completely different? I do know one thing, their is more then enough room for a 29er wheel. If it is a 26 fork I was going to install Cane Creek S3 plus headset.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Yes, my white 26er fork has the "29" marks also. I'm going to use the FSA "The Pig DH Pro" headset on mine. MTBR member "Twiggyperson" is one of the people that have done this (Zion 26er fork on a Zion 29er frame) and liked the way it rode.
    Originally Posted by Vtolds/Dremer03---- "assume any bikes left unlocked and unattended are free to take"

mtbr member
    Pictures of 29X2.35 Rampage in the 26er fork.
    Originally Posted by Vtolds/Dremer03---- "assume any bikes left unlocked and unattended are free to take"

mtbr member
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, seeing as how no matter what it is you will be using it for your 29er anyways.

mtbr member
    No, I'm not worried. I'm gonna build it with the 26er fork. I just like to take photos for my files and thought I'd share. I bought one Rampage for sizing; looks OK on the front. Next, I'll mount it on the rear wheel and see what that looks like.(Probably going to be a lot closer)

Roc
    mtbr member

Thanks

Hey thanks for the help It is odd though that 29 is engraved on the steerer tube

Thanks again,
    Roc

Uncle

Hey, can you take an axle to crown measurement for us?

Just curious about the length of this fork.
    thx
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    JensonUSA says AC is 457mm for 26er fork and 475mm for 29er fork(43mm offset for both, if that's a consideration for anyone).

I measured 16 5/8 inches from skewer to bottom of steerer tube on my 26er fork.

Uncle

Wow, sounds shortish

16&5/8" = ~435mm, which might work just fine. Probably will depend on the frame and intended use. What frame are you using? I have a Zion with a Surly Karate Monkey fork. With 470mm AC, the steering is a bit slack & the BB height is a smudge under 12" (the "standard?") ~11.7", which is a hair low for 29ers, based on what I've read here.

Good luck with it & report back. Lots of us are still tinkering with geometry and such, so your impressions of this set up will certainly be of use here.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Here, a picture is worth a thousand words. My 16 5/8" is to the bottom of the crown. Jenson's 457mm looks to be to the top side of the crown. I don't know where the measurement is supposed to be taken.

My frame is a large Zion 737.

Uncle

A ha!

Thanks for clarifying. The A-C measurement, to my knowledge, should actually be called the "Center of Axle to Crown race" measurement. In your picture, it looks like you're ~18", but the tape runs over the skewer, which would "skew" off the measurement by 1/2 the thickness of the skewer, or ~ 4mm.

For complete accuracy, can anyone enlighten me about this measurement -- specifically, would you measure the fork's "EAC" (Effective Axle to Crown) by measuring along the angle of the headtube to where the axle of a zero offset fork would be, or would you measure it as pictured, with the measurement including the length gained by the offset? I've always measured EAC instead of the true AC, since there is such a range in fork offsets.

Noobi, still curious about how the Zion737 rides with this fork, so let us know please.

mtbr member

Finally finished. (737 with 26er fork)

Well, almost (still tuning on the derailleurs). I did ride it around the property today and I am impressed. At slower speeds it seemed very responsive and very stable, I don't see how the 29er fork could be any better. When I get it shifting the way I like I'll do a better shakedown.

Uncle

Looks great!

And, to me, that looks like what a 29er fork should look like -- suspension-corrected and all. Not sure why it was sold as a 26" fork, unless the suspension correction was for a 130mm fork.
    Great job on the build. Still waiting to get the brakes right on mine.
    What's it weigh?

mtbr member

737 with 26er fork

Scale says weight is 28 pounds. Not sure how accurate scale is.

Went for a longer ride today. Groomed trails, only a few bumps--but hilly.

Climbs well, I like it. Standing and climbing is better than my other two bikes.

Downhill, with a little speed the steering is quick but still very comfortable, I like it.

Only a few bumps, but nothing like I was expecting. I was afraid it was going to be bone jarring and teeth rattling. Did I say I like it?

Rougher trails next, then I'll see if this rigid fork is really a keeper or not. So far the squishy fork may not be necessary.

I got nothin'
    Anybody know what the 26" Zion fork weights?
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member

Fork Weight

Just happened across this post.

Oops, did a screen capture, but it won't upload. Anyway, check out "Zion Rigid Fork" thread (Post 01-27-2007 by mtbr member no one in particular).
    It shows 2.45 lbs (?).
    Last edited by Noobi-Wan Kenobi; 05-06-2008 at 09:37 AM.

Uncle

Respectable

Quote Originally Posted by Noobi-Wan Kenobi
    Scale says weight is 28 pounds. Not sure how accurate scale is.
    28lbs sounds just fine, especially with the meaty tires you're running. If it's anything like my old Karate Monkey, you'll like the way it grabs and crawls over the slower, techy stuff -- much more predictable and controllable over the rocks.

Keep the ride reports coming!

I got nothin'
    Thanks. I think that's a fair weight for a steel fork. Too bad they are all gone, I ended up buying a Nashbar fork. I didn't realize it weighted 3.3lbs . I have to save up for a carbon fork I think.

mtbr member

737 with 26er fork--3rd ride

Today's ride was at Forest Park in Portland, OR. Still groomed (Fire road?) but with longer inclines/declines than last ride and some cobblestone sections that I thought would be a good next step test for the rigid fork.

Climbing is still very good, especially standing.

Downhill, with a good amount of speed, steering was still quick but not a hint of instability (even going over the cobblestone sections). Wow!!

I did learn something from the cobblestone sections. You can't keep a death grip on the bars with stiff arms, like you can do with a suspension fork. As soon as I figured out that I needed to loosen my grip a little (you still have to maintain control though) and relax my arms some it was a whole new world. I think I like a rigid fork. There is definitely more feel of the ground.

Overall, the ride was exceptional. The tires and the frame must be doing something good. Now I gotta find something rougher.

I got nothin'
    Noobi,

Did you get out to Newton Road? Or were you riding Firelane 5?

I am a member of the PUMP club and we did some great work out there last weekend on Newton Road. We built some rock retaining walls, eliminated some of the straight sections and replaced them with curves, and built a rock low water crossing.

If your interested, check out our ride calendar at pumpclub.org. Also, there is a whole stash of trails out at Scappoose. If you don't know the area, John leads rides out there every Friday at 6pm. You will find much more challanging trails out there.

mtbr member
    Fred,

Today I stayed on Leif Erikson Dr.--One step at a time for my first rigid fork.

PUMP's homepage is bookmarked. Thanks.

Scapoose ride looks interesting.

Noobi

mtbr member

737 with 26er fork--5th ride (final report)

Today's ride was at Rocky Point Rd. in Scappoose, Oregon. Singletrack, with some rolling and some steeeep sections. Lots of roots, a few logs, lots of tight turns, lots of tight trees, a few switchbacks, and a few whoop-de-do's.

Climbing is still great. Front end got light a couple of times and I lost rear traction a few times, but those were my fault (weight on the saddle for rear traction, don't pull up on the bars, pedal smoothly--no high torque strokes).

Steering is still great (quick and responsive with no instability). I'll bet my FS won't feel as nimble on these trails.

The overall ride of this bike amazes me. Today, I never thought about not having any suspension. I don't even remember taking any real jolts. The cobblestone sections at Forest Park were much more jolty (did I say jolty--is that a word?).

OK--the decision is made. I'm keeping this fork on this bike. I like it.

Disclaimer.
    This is an 07 Zion 29er frame with an 07 Zion 26er fork. I would guess that other people may not like this combination as well as I do (can't think why not though). I would also guess that other brand 29er frames with other brand 26er forks may not be as compatible (A-C lengths, fork offsets, frame geometry may not work together).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm gonna try to put the Zion 26er fork on my Motobecane Fantom29 frame. The colors match well (matte black). I may have to use the Cane Creek S3+5 headset. Time to retreat to the laboreatory.

mtbr member
    zarr

Keep us updated.

Uncle
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...16620#poststop
    Noobi and Roc, these are 29er forks that you guys have (see linked post for A-C measurement clarity.)

You guys were lucky to get these forks. And, I imagine some of the 26" Zion riders are lucky that you guys got them instead of them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast