mtbr member
    Apr 2004

2001 Boulder Starship LT

Curious on how good this bike is? 2001 Boulder Starship LT. Anyone have one? Good/Bad?

mtbr member

Boulder Starship

I've had Boulders since 1992 (an Intrepid followed by a '97 Starship). I love these bikes!
    The Starship I have is the standard travel 3" not the LT 4".

The good - build quality is excelent, geometry suits me (long top tube), very simple but funtional design, very stiff rear end (so it climbs really well), a proven design - so you know what you are getting - that is a single pivot design with its' well documented plusses and minuses

The Bads - a bit pricey, wait times can be ages (try and get one off a shop floor if you can), you are locked into one shock (having said that the Risse Genises I have is a good shock that funtions perfectly well on this bike, you may not have all the adjustments of other shocks but it is a "set and forget " shock) and rear tyre clearence is a bit tight - a 2.1 is as big as you'll get in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well here is a pic of the bike I'm considering purchasing..... I'm trying to contact Boulder Bikes to talk with them directly.

What do you think about this Starship LT? It has the following:
    Fork: Marzocchi Bomber Z1 X-Fly, 100mm (4") travel
    Rear Shock: Works Performance 4" travel, brand new rebuild
    Brakes: Front: XT hydraulic disc / Rear: XT V-brake
    Shifters: XT (9 speed)
    Bar: Easton Monkey Lite Al
    Headset: Chris King
    Wheels : Front: Mavic 317 disc / Rear: Mavic 517
    Hubs: Shimano XT
    Crankset: Shimano XT Hollowtech
    Stem: Raceface
    Seatpost: Raceface
    Collar: AC components
    Pedals: Shimano 959
    Derailleurs: Shimano XT
    Tires: Tioga Factory Mud XC

mtbr member
    The frame you are showing is a dead ringer for the Starship DH (5") not an LT (4").
    The Intrepid I had used the coil/ oil shock that is on the bike you are looking at. The coil/ oil is much plusher than the air/ oil shock I have on my Starship, and in some ways a better ride (though the Risse air is a lot lighter).
    I know I said you are locked into the one shock in my first post - but looking back i'm sure you can change between the Works shock and a Risse shock ( the Risse site has all the details and model numbers). Again from memory you can change the pre-load of the coil/ oil shock. You undo the masterlink between the shock and swing-arm and it turn the shaft (I forget which way).
    As for the fork, if they are the 2000 x-flys, it wasn't one of Marzocchis better forks and IMHO is not up to the standard of the rest of the bike.
    I was looking at getting a longer travel Boulder off eBay - but no-one would ship to Australia, but if I was you and the price was right I would grab the Boulder; just make sure you like the ride of a single pivot, it does feel different (better?) than the 4-bar linkage things you see everywhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the info on the DH 5" instead o fthe 4" travel. I'm just trying to figure out if I would like this bike over a 2000 Specialized FSR Stumpjumper..... Not sure on the single point pivot vs. the other 4 linked bikes. Currently I have a Trek 9000 full suspension track. One of Trek's very first Suspension bikes. Here is a pic. What would the Boulder act in comparison to the Trek that I have? Is my Trek called a single point pivot?

Is the price right for the Boulder Starship when it is priced at $650?

THANKS!

Breathus Hardus
    Good price.
    Way better than what you have.
    You might post that Trek Doughnut bike on Vintage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've ridden a Boulder Defiant since ' 93. I've tried lots of other bikes since then but never found anything I liked better. The Defiant is a cross country bike and so it doesn't really have that much in common with the long travel Starship. My old riding buddy rode a standard Starship and loved it as well. I've always ridden with the Works Performance oil shock and my buddy had the Risse air. I liked the Works better.
    The Boulders are really great bikes and they've been around for a long time. Back in the '90's I had some real long and informative phone conversations with Rich Williams, who is Boulder Bikes, and he knows his stuff. The workmanship is top notch.
    Personally I have no use for long travel bikes but if your riding style would be complemented by a long travel bike you really can't go wrong for the price.

mtbr member
    I feel much the same about the need for a long travel bike. No suspension is better than bad suspension, and a perfect 3" bike is better than a crappy 5" travel bike (not that the Boulder would give a crappy ride - just 3" suits my riding).
    At the price you're looking at, it is a bargin! Grab it - I know I would.
    And with that Trek - it has gone from one of the first full suspension bikes - then laughed at because newer models were better - but now has done the full circle and has become a collectable! Post it on the Retro page, i'm sure it would be appreciated there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Seems to me that everyone posted here really likes Boulder Bikes. The only thing holding me back from saying yes to buy the bike is that it is located almost clear across the U.S. I'm located in Kansas and the bike is located in Oregon. I wish I could ride and actually see the bike in person, but it is a good price and completly destroys the old Trek that I have.

I've gotta ask some more questions. Would I be better off with this Boulder Starship or go for a 2000 XL Specialized FSR Stumpjumper with the following:

Rock Shox Duke 100mm front fork, MRP X-rated adjustable link, sealed bearings, Shimano hollowtech 180mm cranks, Syncros seat post, Selle Italla Nitrox seat, hell bent bars and Tubeless Hutchinson Python tires. All this with the standard XT/ XTR set-up from the factory.

I have the oppurtinty to take the Specialized FSR on a test ride tomorrow. The FSR is price at $800 however, at least that is what the owner said he would take to end the ebay auciton early, currently the bike is priced at $600.

Is the XL Boulder Starship going to fit me since I'm 6'5" tall and have a 35-35" inseam.

mtbr member
    Tough call on what to get considering the situation. It always seems safer to be able to test ride a bike rather than take a leap of faith.
    The Boulders Iíve had were all L and I'm 180cm (6" I think). They have a long top tube, so they do suit taller riders (friends up to 6' 3' have been riding mine with no worries). I'm not sure if Specialized is a long top tube bike, but at a guess the Boulder would fit you better; unless you like the BMX feel some short tup tube manufactures make and some people prefer.
    As for parts, both have nice specs, the forks on the FSR are better (IMHO) and the 180mm cranks would be better for you too over standard 175mm (what size are they on the Boulder - being an XL they might be 180s too?). But really it is a toss-up between the frames rather than the parts.
    I've ridden a few FSR's and they are very nice bikes, I just think the Boulder is a great bike. I am biased towards Boulders, they are the sort of frame you'll still have and ride in 10 years, unlike most other frames. They are a very simple and functional (Boulder seems to have gotten it right first go) so you wont be a test pilot for a design that will be scaped in a few years.
    I would get the Boulder, but in all honesty you wouldn't go wrong with an FSR either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well I found out today that the cranks on the Boulder Starship are 175MM. Guess i can always change them if need be. I did find out that the TopTube on the Specialized FSR is only 22" when the Boulder has a top tube of 24.75"-25". Based on that and the fact and the seat tube is longer on the Boulder I'm going to buy the Boulder today! It is a big leap to buy it without riding it but I feel confident based on what everyone says here on the forums. The measurements are very close to that of the old Trek 9000 bike that I currently have as well. Actually the Boulder is a bit bigger on the Top Tube and seat tube.

When I get the Boulder is there anyway to put rear disc brakes on it? Is it compatible with Disc brakes?

THANKS!!!
    Last edited by Generalg; 04-30-2004 at 10:36 AM.

mtbr member
    I got disc-mount welded on the rear of mine 2 years ago. Originally I looked at all the after-market add-on disc mounts, but with the drop-outs on a Boulder (Breezer style?) they just wouldn't fit.
    Being made of box section aluminium, the swing-arm it is plenty strong (some bikes that weren't designed for disc brakes needed an extra brace welded between the seat stay and chain stay to stop flex). I'll try and get a pic up in the next few days of the mount.
    Remember you'll need to get the swing arm repainted or polished after welding.
    And don't forget to put a review up of what you think of bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    WOW, Just received the Boulder Starship LT! Just looking/holding the Boulder Starship LT I can tell it is 100 times better than my Trek! I have yet to ride it because I still need to put the tires on the rims.... but WOW this bike is awesome just from picking it up out the box! I will post a full review by this weekend.

FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
    Is Boulder Bicyles still alive?

mtbr member

Boulder web site

Quote Originally Posted by erkan
    Is Boulder Bicyles still alive?

Yes (to best of my knowledge) and can be found at http://www.boulderbikes.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yes Boulder bikes are in business. I talked to Rich before purchasing the 01 Starship LT. He was very nice to talk to.

The Starship LT is an AWESOME bike. I can't believe the difference in quality, strength and ride when compared to my old Trek, heck even the new Trek's/Giant FS MTB's. I'm very thankful for everyone's help especially LQQK's help! THANKS! This bike fits me perfect. I really like how the top tube is longer, seems to fit perfect for my body. Just amazing how I came across such a good deal but more importantly how the bike fits me. I have only ridden it maybe all of 1 hour so far. Many more enjoyable hours of riding ahead!

Now I just need to find a pair of size 14/15 cycle shoes to use the Shimano pedals. I had to stick my old pedals from the Trek for the 1 hour test ride.

Here is a couple more pics of the bike at it's new home.

FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
    Maybe they should update their homepage. It feels dated but its miles better than Brews homepage... and their DH bike is more like a modest freeride bike nowdays. I got the impression they quit business years ago when looking at the homepage.