Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    ******ed or Branded??
    Reputation: doodooboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,022

    180mm on an EVo, is it possible?

    discuss..............

  2. #2
    VooDoo user.
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,394
    Yes but climbing will suk unless its one of those crappy travel adjust models.

    Discussion over.

  3. #3
    ******ed or Branded??
    Reputation: doodooboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,022
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Yes but climbing will suk unless its one of those crappy travel adjust models.

    Discussion over.
    Discussion not over:

    Have you tried it???
    Has anyone tried it???
    Dose the company allow it within their warranty?
    Come on' let see what you really got to say about the EVO.

    I am looking at canfield "One" and it supports a 160mm and 180mm fork and was stated that it climbs well with both on there.

    Can the EVO be up to par to the canfield "One"????


    Discuss..........

  4. #4
    Made in China
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    379
    Think the EVO's BB would be too high if you put a 180mm fork on it.

    I remember The Other Mr. T tried it once.
    "Didn't your doctor tell you to stop smoking and drinking?" George Burns "Yes but they all died"

  5. #5
    Flying Goat
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,329
    Maltman raced an Evo with a Boxxer WC for a while and was actually winning... that should say something...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: markskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    515

  7. #7
    ******ed or Branded??
    Reputation: doodooboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,022
    Quote Originally Posted by markskee

    Still not done there gut boi!!!

    I do remember you saying that it was a lowered boxxer Unless you just didn't know what you were talking about!!!

    So question still stands can it handle a 180mm fork for some all mountain riding.
    I know it can decend well but can it climb with a 180mm fork also????

    come on guys get real here and think of the bigger picture. Mtbiing is more then just pointitng the bike down. you have to get up there some how right!!! I know Markskee don't pedal his fat arse anywhere so can't take it word on it.

    by the way markskee when you are just sitting on you arse at the shop why don't you slap a 180mm fork on an evo pedal it around and give us your customers and future customers some feed back. do a little research for your company!!!

  8. #8
    Made in China
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    379
    If you get the new rear triangle that lowers the BB then it should be doable.

    Have you thought of a Boxxer ride instead?
    "Didn't your doctor tell you to stop smoking and drinking?" George Burns "Yes but they all died"

  9. #9
    VooDoo user.
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,394
    I rode an EVO with a Lyrik 2 step and definatley had to use the travel adjust on the steeper climbs. Like I said if you get a 180 that has travel adjust then do it. To have a 180 only fork on the EVO means you are only interested in DH. Plain and simple.

    If you just want to hear that it will climb with a 180 then I'd be more than happy to LIE to you and say it does.

    Discusion OVER!!!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,225

    To add a little something

    One was built up in a local shop with a 888 on it. I didn't ride it, but the one thing I did notice, is that it was a medium frame, and when I straddled the top tube, my crotch was just touching it. I'm six foot, with a 33ish inseam. Anyhow, my point is, the top tube is WAY up there on this bike and that size of fork seems to push it up a bit higher than I'd like.

  11. #11
    ******ed or Branded??
    Reputation: doodooboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    One was built up in a local shop with a 888 on it. I didn't ride it, but the one thing I did notice, is that it was a medium frame, and when I straddled the top tube, my crotch was just touching it. I'm six foot, with a 33ish inseam. Anyhow, my point is, the top tube is WAY up there on this bike and that size of fork seems to push it up a bit higher than I'd like.

    Thanks Loki!!

    See this what I mean getting more than just the plain old it can't or can ride well with or with out this or that. But stuff like this that most people will over look just like the stand over. Something I totally did not think about. I am 5'10" but have shorter legs than body. So I would like to have a good standover on a bike. Also anything else you would think to tell any one what to look out for when getting this bike and so forth.

    I am just seeing what the Chumba racing tribe gotts to say about their beloved EVO. I just want to gett to the good, bad and ugly of the bike!!!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toHELLuRIDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    554
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi
    Thanks Loki!!

    See this what I mean getting more than just the plain old it can't or can ride well with or with out this or that. But stuff like this that most people will over look just like the stand over. Something I totally did not think about. I am 5'10" but have shorter legs than body. So I would like to have a good standover on a bike. Also anything else you would think to tell any one what to look out for when getting this bike and so forth.

    I am just seeing what the Chumba racing tribe gotts to say about their beloved EVO. I just want to gett to the good, bad and ugly of the bike!!!

    YO POOPOOboi. Quit being a DUECHE! That bike does climb like sheet with a 180 fork. If you want an AM rig that climbs well get a 160 fork.
    Also can I please say "DUH"! Of course the standover will be higher with a 180 fork.
    Quick! The Newbie corner needs you Back! Run along Jr.
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

  13. #13
    ******ed or Branded??
    Reputation: doodooboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,022
    Quote Originally Posted by toHELLuRIDE
    YO POOPOOboi. Quit being a DUECHE! That bike does climb like sheet with a 180 fork. If you want an AM rig that climbs well get a 160 fork.
    Also can I please say "DUH"! Of course the standover will be higher with a 180 fork.
    Quick! The Newbie corner needs you Back! Run along Jr.

    wow ther a-hole!!!

    No shet the standover will be higher but how it affects a rider and quality of ride is what's important not just the obvious. go back to the cave you crawled from with your 68 post and come back when you have something useful for people. what are doing here in the first place Mister I am too good for gears. go drinka latte and be on you gehy way!!!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toHELLuRIDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    554
    I don't post often. Mainly lurk until I find a useless post and call the the person on it. Please go get your 180 fork and enjoy walking up the mountain. Sad thing is you will.
    Just because you like the look of it.
    Do you have any other useless questions?
    There is also a handy little "search" tab. Use it! Chances are you question has already been asked.
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

  15. #15
    ******ed or Branded??
    Reputation: doodooboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,022
    Quote Originally Posted by toHELLuRIDE
    I don't post often. Mainly lurk until I find a useless post and call the the person on it. Please go get your 180 fork and enjoy walking up the mountain. Sad thing is you will.
    Just because you like the look of it.
    Do you have any other useless questions?
    There is also a handy little "search" tab. Use it! Chances are you question has already been asked.

    I highly doubt that this question has been asked in a manner to get resutls.

    You should keep to lurking cause you are basically useless yourself, if all you doing is call people out on there useless questions.
    Isn't this what the forums is all about to disucss and trade experience and questions to what you can or can not do to a bike.
    This just shows that your the type to sit back let someone do all the hard work and you just copy the shet out of them cause now you don't have to think on how to setup a bike. If that's if you know how to even work on a bike.
    I bet your the dumb arse who always comes in to a shop and thinks you know what your talking about and all the shop employee just agree to just get you out of the shop faster.Your the type of cyclist that makes us all look ghey cause you don't know sheet only from what people tell you. Keep enjoying that latte, ride that single speed fixie with your matching rainbow messenger bag,you ghey worthless excuses for a cyclist!!!!

    Don't come back here till YOU have something usefull for someone on here to truly use....

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toHELLuRIDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    554
    I wish you knew the difference between a single speed and a fixie. Also please learn the difference between a camelback and a messenger bag.
    Singlespeed 29 is how I spend most of my time on a bike but don't let that fool ya. Its only one of a bunch. There is a 4" bike a 6" bike and yes a 7" bike as well.
    I don't know everything about bikes but I do know that a 180 fork on a bike designed around 160 for AM use will climb like poop. 180 on an evo equals DH tendancies.
    Don't get your "underoos" up in a bunch just because we are trying to tell you what you don't want to hear.

    Well enough of this. I acomplished what I wanted.
    Time to go get a latte.
    Where did I put my fixie?

    PS. Luke Skywalker and Yoda are your *** fantasy!

    Nut Up or git your "SKORT"!!!
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

  17. #17
    VooDoo user.
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by toHELLuRIDE
    Don't get your "underoos" up in a bunch just because we are trying to tell you what you don't want to hear.

    PS. Luke Skywalker and Yoda are your *** fantasy!

    Nut Up or git your "SKORT"!!!



    Classic material. I can't stop laughing.
    Brutaly awesome. Keep it comming T-RIDE!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi
    Discussion not over:

    Have you tried it???
    Has anyone tried it???
    Dose the company allow it within their warranty?
    Come on' let see what you really got to say about the EVO.

    I am looking at canfield "One" and it supports a 160mm and 180mm fork and was stated that it climbs well with both on there.

    Can the EVO be up to par to the canfield "One"????
    I ride an Evo, but I haven't tried it with a 180mm fork. I can't imagine why anyone would want to. I can fairly confidently predict that it would not ride very well, that the standover and bb heights would be too high, and that the front would kick up while climbing. I expect most 6" travel frames would do pretty much the same with a 180mm fork.

    Anyone can state that anything climbs well with any fork, but I'm inclined to be suspicious of these statements. Any "do it all" bike is going to be a compromise: a geometry that gives you great climbing performance is going to cut into your downhill performance, and vice versa. All frame designs are subject to similar tradeoffs, and I really doubt that there is any magic that will make a frame climb like an xc bike and descend like a DH bike. The key is to find a compromise that suits the way you ride... that doesn't mean the bike that suits you best is the best bike for everyone, it's just the one that works for you.

    This is what I "really got to say about the Evo", after riding it almost daily for over a year:

    The Evo is a versatile 6" travel frame that can climb, excels on gnarly technical descents, is comfortable at speed, is extremely plush, and can take hits. It's ideally mated (I think) with an adjustable-travel 160mm fork. It won't climb as well as a steep angled ultralight xc rig or perform on a DH course like low-slung long-travel specialist DH bike, but if you can climb you can get it up damned near anything, and it will get you down anything the rider can handle. If that's the kind of ride you're looking for, the Evo is a great choice.

    If you're looking for a ride with 7 and 8 inch rear travel settings that fits a 180mm fork, costs $600 more than an Evo, and has grandiose claims floating about, by all means buy the Canfiled. Let us know how it climbs.

    Me, I'll just go ride my Evo.

  19. #19
    ******ed or Branded??
    Reputation: doodooboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,022
    Quote Originally Posted by dayuhan
    I ride an Evo, but I haven't tried it with a 180mm fork. I can't imagine why anyone would want to. I can fairly confidently predict that it would not ride very well, that the standover and bb heights would be too high, and that the front would kick up while climbing. I expect most 6" travel frames would do pretty much the same with a 180mm fork.

    Anyone can state that anything climbs well with any fork, but I'm inclined to be suspicious of these statements. Any "do it all" bike is going to be a compromise: a geometry that gives you great climbing performance is going to cut into your downhill performance, and vice versa. All frame designs are subject to similar tradeoffs, and I really doubt that there is any magic that will make a frame climb like an xc bike and descend like a DH bike. The key is to find a compromise that suits the way you ride... that doesn't mean the bike that suits you best is the best bike for everyone, it's just the one that works for you.

    This is what I "really got to say about the Evo", after riding it almost daily for over a year:

    The Evo is a versatile 6" travel frame that can climb, excels on gnarly technical descents, is comfortable at speed, is extremely plush, and can take hits. It's ideally mated (I think) with an adjustable-travel 160mm fork. It won't climb as well as a steep angled ultralight xc rig or perform on a DH course like low-slung long-travel specialist DH bike, but if you can climb you can get it up damned near anything, and it will get you down anything the rider can handle. If that's the kind of ride you're looking for, the Evo is a great choice.

    If you're looking for a ride with 7 and 8 inch rear travel settings that fits a 180mm fork, costs $600 more than an Evo, and has grandiose claims floating about, by all means buy the Canfiled. Let us know how it climbs.

    Me, I'll just go ride my Evo.
    Thanks man!!!

    I know ride charaistics will change but just really curious how dramatically will it change. Thanks for the great and honest view from riding an EVO. I understand the Canfield can seem very grandiose about there design but I got to admit they are on to something with there redesign of the parallel linkage. I have a Jedi and it perfoms wonderful and made me really think how well the One would work on an all mountain bike.

    Unfortuantely you have just made that much more harder to make up my mind with the great feedback of the EVO. I can't wait to demo this bad boy this afternoon after work. I will try to post up a review once I get a chance to. I will try my best to un-bias in my review as best as i can.

    Again thanks for the great post man!!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    99
    I should also say the first time I rode the Evo it felt a little weird, sat higher than what I was used to and I needed to change my posture a bit on steep climbs.

    I'm sure the Canfield is a great bike. I guess the El Guapo and El Terremoto and Nomad and the Yeti Seven and a whole bunch of others are also great bikes. I'd probably happy with any of 'em. At a certain point you just get one and ride the hell out of it.

  21. #21
    ******ed or Branded??
    Reputation: doodooboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,022
    Quote Originally Posted by toHELLuRIDE
    I wish you knew the difference between a single speed and a fixie. Also please learn the difference between a camelback and a messenger bag.
    Singlespeed 29 is how I spend most of my time on a bike but don't let that fool ya. Its only one of a bunch. There is a 4" bike a 6" bike and yes a 7" bike as well.
    I don't know everything about bikes but I do know that a 180 fork on a bike designed around 160 for AM use will climb like poop. 180 on an evo equals DH tendancies.
    Don't get your "underoos" up in a bunch just because we are trying to tell you what you don't want to hear.

    Well enough of this. I acomplished what I wanted.
    Time to go get a latte.
    Where did I put my fixie?

    PS. Luke Skywalker and Yoda are your *** fantasy!

    Nut Up or git your "SKORT"!!!
    Whoa there little buddy, you don't have to defend that your trully not ghey and ride a 29er SS by stating all your other bikes. It's like teasing a guy he is actually ghey and talks about all the women he has slept with..... It's ok, just take your own advice and keep your "underoos" from creeping up.
    We are in an new era where we accept folks like you and possibly might let you get your own rights to get married!!! NOT!!
    Alright I am done with you in this manner cause you are just making me stoop down to your gheyness!!

    I will still say thanks for ensuring the fact that a 180mm fork will not work and that's all I am looking for. Maybe a little disscuss about it and what the bike it capable of to along with it but not a open and end answer.

    Just an advice next time someone enters a thread to just kick up rocks to see what someone can do to a bike just go back to when you started ridiing and think of how folks treated you when you were just curious of what a bike can or can't do!!

    have a nice and latte filled day while riding your 29er with your camelback!

  22. #22
    VooDoo user.
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi
    We are in an new era where we accept folks like you and possibly might let you get your own rights to get married!!! NOT!!


    Better watch it or the GHey rights activists will track you down little hitler. Not a very PC statement.

    Just an FYI...overuse of smilies totally makes you GHEY! Or a transvestite.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chumbawrld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48

    New Rear Triangle

    We offer a smaller rear triangle lowering the stand over and BB. Having ridden the EVO for a few years now I'd suggest an adjustable 180mm to dial down for climbs. This being said, I just spec'd an EVO with a 180mm non adjustable for a very strong rider. All comes down to how strong of a climber you are, how much pain you enjoy and the terrain you ride. TO EACH, THEIR OWN.

    Side Note: The Chumba Racing R & D department has been in overdrive led by the genius of Ted so stay posted...
    RAZZ
    CHUMBA RACING

  24. #24
    Spin-stabilized
    Reputation: bailout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbawrld
    We offer a smaller rear triangle lowering the stand over and BB. Having ridden the EVO for a few years now I'd suggest an adjustable 180mm to dial down for climbs. This being said, I just spec'd an EVO with a 180mm non adjustable for a very strong rider. All comes down to how strong of a climber you are, how much pain you enjoy and the terrain you ride. TO EACH, THEIR OWN.

    Side Note: The Chumba Racing R & D department has been in overdrive led by the genius of Ted so stay posted...

    Lower standover, yum! This might make the EVO a great choice as "The One" bike for those of us who can't afford 2 rigs. Personally, the only thing keeping me from considering the EVO is the high BB/standover since I'm not afraid of climbing with a FR bike. How much more standover will be gained?

    Does this new rear traingle come as an upgrade or can new frames be automatically spec'ed with them? Oh yeah, is the orange EVO coming back?
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chumbawrld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48

    new rear triangle changes

    check earlier in the post. someone measured it. I'm 5'10" and ride a large. I'm either on the pedals or in the air about to break something so stand over never was a factor for me, but I'm probably not the average rider. My medical record would speak for that so see his measurements...

    Thanks,

    Bailout
    RAZZ
    CHUMBA RACING

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •