Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Worst Climbs in Ct.

For those of us who appreciate the ride up as much as the ride down.

I'll start- orange/gold trail in Cockaponsett that leads to the overlook of Rt. 9. Starts with some sloppy stream crossings at the bottom to loose sand and small rock ledges. It's granny gear steep all the way and you never see the top, because it never seems to end. In theory it's completely doable, though not by me. I've come close. SOmeday maybe...

I'm looking for more challenges, so let's hear some others.

backwoods and backwards
    Back when I was strong and fit I had a thing for the Quary Trail at Shenipsit. I had every inch done in stages, but never had the legs to put the whole thing away.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Try Mt Archer in Lyme... do the trail clock wise...

you basically wind down and around the mtn as you go down the trail, then right at the end you kinda climb straight back up it.. fun work out!! Probably not the "hardest" climb as I make it about 50% of the time depending on my condition and weather and such (if too hot and humid I wont make it without stoping ) but it is one of those climbs that has multiple false summits
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

ZEN RIDER!
    Comstock bridge to the top of Daypond is a grind
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Naugatuck st forest starting at oxford reservoirs and going to the white trail and stone overlook. multiple streambed climbs and trail, well over a mile.
    "Hillbilly in a corporate world"

CB2
    Jam Econo
    The Evil Backyard Wall at Case Mt. is something. Not the longest or most technical but it is steep. The condition of the trail is so good too that your only excuse for not making it is yourself.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The bone yard in Meridan climb up to the top is a 1.5 mile pedal hell over loose rubble...near the top you see black dots in your vision...true bliss....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just over the line into NY, but looking at CT, there's a spot with some of the most abusive, steep, rocky, rooty, wet, life sapping multi mile climbs leading to long, life giving, happy brain descents. Come play in NY...

Loser
    The climb up slick rock/dragon's back at Case or whatever its called is pretty difficult, I can usually make it mid-season, less so early in the season. I've seen two people do it on SS, their legs were barely moving at the top, it looked very painful.

There's one climb out at Middlesex that I have only made twice on perhaps a hundred attempts - one rock - very steep and a left hand turn half way up - its on the way back from the outside loop after China Wall.

At Case there is a very short up on Par Four that I have only made twice as well - probably a thousand attempts. That one is actually not hard, once I saw someone make it I made it 2 out of the next 3 times I tried. Amazing how your mind can tell you what is possible and you believe it. Incidentally going up Par Four from the carriage path up to the Blue trail is a tough climb as well. Its long, technical and steep in parts.

Mojo K - Quarry trail up? There are some nasty, steep parts of that trail, I guess I can see doing it in sections, all in one attempt would be a miracle. I'll have to try it sometime. I've only come down it.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Loser
    How could I forget Bigelow? There are some really great climbs out there - the one at 1:53 in this video is pretty tough, its a 50/50 shot for me.

backwoods and backwards
    Jisch, I actually put a 20t ring on for that one...Sometimes I would get an idea that just wouldn't go away. I had also pinned down the big switchback climb heading out on the blue trail (hamburgerhill)...either line up was good, even on that 6" enduro sl. That kind of obsession and fitness are both well behind me now.

Last edited by MOJO K; 06-23-2012 at 05:43 PM.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Loser
    I'll give a hill two tries occasionally rarely more than that.

I'm sure I've ridden "Hamburger Hill" before, but I don't know where it is by name.

I recall a NEMBA event at Snip one time years ago, I was hanging out in the parking lot and the guys gathered around the truck next to me were complaining that the ride wasn't good because "it was all uphill".

CB2 - I just looked at that map, that hill is a freaking nightmare. I've only ridden it once with GI, its steep and it just keeps going and going. There's a reason I've only ridden it once. I like a good climb as much (probably more) as anyone, but that one doesn't have the payoff factor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    The climb up slick rock/dragon's back at Case or whatever its called is pretty difficult, I can usually make it mid-season, less so early in the season. I've seen two people do it on SS, their legs were barely moving at the top, it looked very painful.

Ya that one's painful, There's one like it at Chatfield, though smaller it's arguably more difficult. That's just one of a series of ugly climbs in Chatfield.

I'll add the Matabasset trail in Guilford at Bluff head. There's a trail that goes up the side (not from the usual parking lot) and down the back into Durham. Both ways are brutally epic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just made the climb up slick rock at case this weekend! It was my second attempt. The first time I tried I almost made it but fell short and it was haunting me since. I can finally say that I got my revenge on that climb! lol

Loser
    My best ascent of Slick Rock was probably five years ago. There were two guys on super lightweight HTs stopped about 3/4s of the way up. They were looking up and didn't see me coming. As I approached I could hear they were talking about the best route up, one of the guys says "I just don't think its rideable anywhere".

Just then I went by on my 37 pound Rocky Mountain Switch and made it the rest of the way up.

I was with my wife and she was still at the bottom, so just to show off I went back down, met her near the bottom and climbed up again.

I can be an ass sometimes.

John

mtbr member
    While it wasn't a mountain bike trail, I rode up Southington Mountain from the Marion Post Office to the top without stoping and then to Brass City Mall last week. The hill alone is about 1 mile and the elevation increase is about 550' I think.

mtbr member

Worst Climbs in Ct.

There is one at Soapstone in the Snip that is close to impossible. Take the blue trail at the base of the parking lot near the outhouse. At the fork, go left and you'll come out right by the base of the tower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loser
    The climb up to bunny rabbit rock at Bigelow Hollow is a pretty stiff climb too.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

backwoods and backwards
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrider29er View Post
    There is one at Soapstone in the Snip that is close to impossible. Take the blue trail at the base of the parking lot near the outhouse. At the fork, go left and you'll come out right by the base of the tower.

It can be done
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    It can be done
    I just realized that climb is in this video (but I'm riding it as a descent) at 00:15 in this video:

mtbr member

Worst Climbs in Ct.

I'll have to see it in person, doesn't look the same to me

mtbr member

Worst Climbs in Ct.

Could be the foliage though, I was there in the winter

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Interesting thread. There are lots of barely makeable long climbs in the Nipmuck SF west of 190 in Union. Speaking of Bigelow, Jisch, how about the climb to the top of the Cat Rocks (from either side)?

Loser
    I was riding at Crandalls last night and there's one there that's pretty difficult, I haven't made up it yet, its the climb up the red trail on the Old Post side. The climb up the other side of the red is probably equally difficult.

BDE1024 - I always confused about what is "Cat Rocks" out there, I think that's the same climb I mention - that's a tough one! The back side is tough, the front side I believe is impossible. There is also a climb on the white trail that is pretty tough - I've made it two or three times that I can remember. Great, now I've got a hankering to ride Bigelow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I was riding at Crandalls last night and there's one there that's pretty difficult, I haven't made up it yet, its the climb up the red trail on the Old Post side. The climb up the other side of the red is probably equally difficult.

BDE1024 - I always confused about what is "Cat Rocks" out there, I think that's the same climb I mention - that's a tough one! The back side is tough, the front side I believe is impossible. There is also a climb on the white trail that is pretty tough - I've made it two or three times that I can remember. Great, now I've got a hankering to ride Bigelow.
    The Cat Rocks is basically the high ridgeline just west of Breakneck Pond, near the CT-MA border. The trail over it runs north-south right along the ridge, with views of Breakneck Pond to the east. Not sure you call the back and front side, but the climb from the north probably impossible, and very tough from the south.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast