Insanity later

Where to live in Connecticut

Hi,

I'm interviewing for a job in Wilton. Coming from Portland, OR so it's going to be an adjustment! Where's a good spot to live.?

Requirements

- not too small. Wife is a big city girl
    - family friendly I have a toddler
    - good biking! I ride mtb and Road, would love to bike commute if I could. Traffic here is brutal!!
    - somewhat affordable if possible

Any other tips? Convince me that I won't be miserable on the East Coast.

Thx in advance

mtbr member

Well CT is not OR for sure. I'm a country boy who grew in Ellington which has grown into a pretty decent rural suburb but going out to eat, the mall, etc is 20-30 minutes away. Tolland is nice too where I think Jisch is from. West Hartford is well liked, has shopping and restaurants in walking distance (Blue Back Square) but is a little expensive. Decent road riding and mountain not too far away at the resivoir or Case Mtn.

Have to pick North, South, East or West. Hartford is a little north of dead center.

Most of CT is expensive, not really getting around that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Wilton is in the south western part of the state, doubt the OP will be living any where near hartford unless he wants one hell of a commute. As mentioned already CT is an expensive state to live in, and Wlton is in the most expensive part of the state. I am working on a project near Wlton in New Canaan CT and I feel like I am going to be arrested for vagrancy every time I go to that town. The kind of place were teenagers drive Mercs and BMWs to high school....and they are not used.

mtbr member

Whoops, missed the part about Wilton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    A little drive north on rt 7 will put you in New Milford, The realtor told me the most affordable in FFLD county for housing. Near a bigger city(Danbury) with a huge mall, and close to i84 with more malls east! Fairly rural/subarban area, lots of riding possibilities closeby.
    "Hillbilly in a corporate world"

Insanity later
    Thanks for the tips. Like I said, I'd love to bike commute so while those options sound great I was hoping to find somewhere within say 20 miles of Wilton. Maybe that excludes my other criteria above:-).

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It won't be "cheap" to be within 20 miles of Wilton but there are some great places to ride within that circle. I'm guessing scrublover or one of the other locals will chime in soon and give you the low down.

Delirious Tuck
    Send me a PM.

... I'm local, I live in Norwalk, I'm also president of the local MTB org/assoc/club. I ride Wilton Woods at least once a week.

You could commute from Norwalk to Wilton with ease, Ridgefield, Redding, Weston, and Bethel are all realistic options as well. Yes Fairfield County is pricey but you do have options that aren't New Canaan, Greenwich, Westport, or Darien.

We have about 7 good parks in Fairfield County with over 50 miles of good ol' New England tech and short steep violent climbs, throw in 45 min drive and you've got some of the best trails in the Northeast accessible including Blue Mt. in Peekskill, NY (East Coast/Flow/Everything/full day tours), Millers Pond in Durham (Tech techy tech with skinnies galore), and Trumbull which is home to some proper PROPER freeride. Go another 45 min and you've got Mt. Creek for lift serve DH, Ringwood, eastern CT and southern MA.

The local club, FC NEMBA, do a bunch to keep singletrack single, and keep more new trail coming too (we have a new open space that we're building a full trail system in from the ground up in Danbury in partnership with the City).

Oh, and you can have a beach if you're in Norwalk. THE City is only 45-55 min by train away too.

FCNEMBA.ORG - check out the trail maps.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    What Friar said. I'm about as far north of Wilton as he is south of it. In Danbury. It wouldn't be a horribly distant commute down to Wilton, but it would be with crappy commuter traffic.

I'd say look for housing in a radius as far as you are willing to ride on a daily basis.

Me, I've got a 15 minute bike ride to work, when not feeling lax enough to drive.

The riding out here is very, very fun and good. But very, very different than you are used to . I grew up and learned to ride in the Eugene area, so have a good familiarity with what you are used to.

I also spent a fair bit of time on the front range in CO - I'm closer to more riding with less drive time here than out there, and run into way fewer other users/trail conflict.

Lots of good art/food/culture out here, but it'll be different (depending on how your tastes run) than what you are used to in Portland. Obviously depends on where in/around there you are coming from/are used to.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Redding is very nice and not quite ridiculously expensive.

Insanity later

Great tips people. Thanks. I think Redding looks a bit small for wifey though, and Danbury is a bit far to bike commute each day. I feel like Goldilocks. I guess we will take a closer look when we arrive. Looking forward to discovering some new trails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I've liven in Wilton the past 8 years. It's a great place for a family. The schools are good and there is always a lot going on in the town. It's also close enough to larger areas like Norwalk, Danbury and Stamford. It's definitely a town though and is not going to feel like a city at all.

I do see some bike commuters but there aren't a ton of them. Roads here are terrible and not repaired on the schedule that was promised. In fact the budget was just passed with a money allocated to pave many of the roads for the first time in 8 years. Winters can be very tough. The poor roads is one of the main reasons why I swapped my aluminum road bike for a steel one.

Affordable is not something you are going to find outside of some of the cities but it's not as bad as it used to be. Not too long ago $700,000 bought you a small home. Prices have come down but it's all relative.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Look at Ridgefield, one town north of Wilton. It has a nice Main Street with a lot of shops and restaurants and great schools. It is also less expensive than Wilton with some northern lake sections in town. Still not cheap though, but it's a good family town that's has a little bit of everything. The Southwest section of Redding is close to Georgetown and has some nice restaurants and there are stores along Rt. 7.

Riding: I think we are REALLY lucky there are so many great parks within a small area in Fairfield County...
    Last edited by heatherct; 06-07-2014 at 04:58 PM.

mtbr member
    In Redding myself (Georgetown), and I can confirm there is a ton of great riding surrounding us. Wilton woods is less than 10 minutes away, and there are 5 other parks within 15 minutes. Although there is very (very very very) little city feel, we do have the best bbq in the state right down the road, and Georgetown Saloon is reopening in late July.

I'd say look in North Stamford or Silvermine (in Norwalk). Both a bit on the expensive side (everything is here) but both would get you very close to decent sized cities (Norwalk and Stamford) and it would be a backroad commute to Wilton.

Great bike shops in the area too between Smart Cycles in Norwalk, Ridgefield Bike Co, and Cycle Center in Stamford.
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB