mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Where to do some distance in central CT?

I am looking for some smoother trails that I can just ride and keep my heart rate up. I ride Millers Pond a lot (close to home) and Hurd Park but the loops seem to end too fast. I'm looking for maybe 10-15 miles that I can ride at a good pace but something more interesting that the airline trail. Does that exist?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I don't know of anything that meets all your criteria. It's allneither too smooth or too short. Have you tried Wadsworth Falls and River Highlands? They're both smooth by CT standards and a lot of fun. There's been a lot of recent work done at River Highlands and it's becoming a better and better place to ride. It's possible to ride all the way to the South of Hartford from River Highlands but I couldn't tell you how, and I'm not sure if it's all legal.
    I am not repeating myself I am not repeating myself!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks! It's probably been 20 years since I last rode wadsworth which is odd since its pretty close to me. I'll have to revisit that place. I've always heard about River Highlands, I think, but never went there. Is that the one that starts in Cromwell on the river?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by charmon2 View Post
    Thanks! It's probably been 20 years since I last rode wadsworth which is odd since its pretty close to me. I'll have to revisit that place. I've always heard about River Highlands, I think, but never went there. Is that the one that starts in Cromwell on the river?
    I just rode there today...neat place, but not sure I'd really go out of my way to hunt it down. Great for a quick ride... fun place...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It's along the river, yes. GPS 90 Field Rd Cromwell.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You'll have to ride a bunch of laps at Wadsworth to get in that kind of distance, though the trails are pretty buff. If you ride Miller's a bunch and want to try something different, maybe Cockaponsett or Middlesex? BTW, I live in Durham and ride at Miller's and Wadsworth frequently. PM me if you want to ride sometime.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Puzman, thanks. I will do that, although I'm sorry to say that between working odd hours and watching my kids I don't always ride at the usual times.

I kind of remembered wadsworth being shorter but I guess doing extra laps there will be better than driving all over the place to find longer trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    NEMBA is building trails at Rockland Preserve in Madison. The plan is for 10-15 miles of flow trail, yin to Millers' yang. It's a work in progress. They have TM sessions wednesday nights. Get involved if you can.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I will definitely look into helping out with that. That sounds great, thanks.

Loser
    Middlesex has about 15 miles of trails. Plenty of hills, but smooth is not a word I would use anywhere near Middlesex, except maybe "smooth rock faces". One of my favorite rides though.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog