mtbr member

New question here. What's the deal with Shenipsit State Forest?

A buddy and I went to Shenipsit on Friday evening. We had been there plenty of times on roadbikes to climb Soapstone Mtn, but this was our first time mtn biking there. We parked at the bottom of Soapstone Rd, then I noticed that the blue trails on either side of Gulf Rd are marked No Bicycles? WTF? There's no trail to ride from the parking area???

We ended up riding the blue trail on the Stafford side, tooled around on a jeep road off of Sodom Road, then rode it back to the parking lot.

From looking at the 12 year old map on the State Forest website, it seems that the only authorized riding is on doubletrack or other fire roads - who wants to do that?

Did we miss something?

Loser
    Yes you missed something, there is a ton of riding out there.

The stuff on the Soapstone side is mostly torn up from motorcycles, but there's still some good riding there. I think there's about 15 miles of trails on the Soapstone side.

There's a lot more good singletrack over on the other side of 190, including trails that go up over Bald Mountain - makes for a tough ride! There is probably another 15 miles of singletrack over on the other side.

As far as the Blue trails, technically you are not supposed to ride them anywhere in the state (except where the trail crosses private property and the property owner allows it), but Snip is one place where it doesn't matter much - the motorcycles pretty much have their way with that place, mountain bikers are a minor issue compared to them, just be polite to the hikers.

I'd be happy to give you a tour of either/both sides sometime.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Yes you missed something, there is a ton of riding out there.

The stuff on the Soapstone side is mostly torn up from motorcycles, but there's still some good riding there. I think there's about 15 miles of trails on the Soapstone side.

There's a lot more good singletrack over on the other side of 190, including trails that go up over Bald Mountain - makes for a tough ride! There is probably another 15 miles of singletrack over on the other side.

As far as the Blue trails, technically you are not supposed to ride them anywhere in the state (except where the trail crosses private property and the property owner allows it), but Snip is one place where it doesn't matter much - the motorcycles pretty much have their way with that place, mountain bikers are a minor issue compared to them, just be polite to the hikers.

I'd be happy to give you a tour of either/both sides sometime.
    Thanks Jisch, that's good to know. I had seen some GPS tracks for the routes around Soapstone, but I was concerned over the no bikes signs.

Can you point me to the trailheads on the other side of 190, any maps or GPS tracks?

Jack

mtbr member

What's the deal with Shenipsit State Forest?

Galbraith Rd off 190. Just be aware of hunting seasons, particularly turkey 4/30-5/31 and deer in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thanks guys!

backwoods and backwards
    FWIW the blue trail people have relocated a lot of the blue trail in the north part of the forest...Dillenback Rd to Galbraith Rd. I'd stay away from it. Jisch is correct about the MX damage, the trails are really ugly, but there is always a real MTBikey line to ride on most of the old trails. I still love the place.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Loser
    I haven't ridden the "old" trails in years. I need to get back over and recreate the old loop.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog