Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Weetamoo Woods

Just a flesh wound

It was a slow day!

But there is a whole other section North of the dirt road that goes through the park. You go past a pond and some houses and then there is some other stuff out there. Yellow racing tape and tough trails.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

swb employee
    Dec 2011
    whats up chris im kevin. i recently started going there and kinda just get lost till im found but im starting to get the hang of it. i park off king st. and go in through the red colored trail. then theres a fork which i take to the right to a rocky singletrack then splits to the right and puts me onto the gasline. i follow up the hill and enter back on the left which is the red trail again and then take my first right. i follow that till i run out of trail and end up near someones house. i go left onto the road and follow it around the bend and then there is another set of trails along side the gasline again. follow it up a bit and then go in to the left and then i just take it from there. i see white dots on trees and just follow my way in the direction of the parking spot and it ends up working out. when i went with my buddy that knows the area well he sends me a whole other way.

swb employee
    Dec 2011
    i go there on sat mornings before work. i actually work at the local shop. westport bicycle. if you ever need a quick tune stop on in..! but i ride a scott scale 29 pro. how is the 27 ride? i hear theres not much of a different feel with the full suspension bikes...?

Just a flesh wound
    The 650b on the Prophet is great. The wheelset I got built is 1400 grams so that's half the difference. The Pacenti Neo Motos are great tires. Makes the bike faster and the clearance is 14" at the BB. The 27.5" wheels roll over better than the 26". No mods needed for the conversion. Bike weighs 28 lbs now. Not bad for a 6" travel bike.

mtbr member
    Hey Kevin,

I was in Westport cycles a month or so and talked to you for about 10 minutes. I'm the guy who's heading the cleanup in the Bioreserve/Freetown SF. We've got a good chunk of trails cleared and signed. There is a kickass map with marked intersections. I've been calling this section of the bioreserve the Copicut Trails.

I've been doing a 15-16 mile loop that starts at the Miller Brook parking lot. It's less than 10 minutes away from your shop. 90% singletrack, and its all on trails not open to motos. I'll try to swing by and drop off some maps, but we should try to get out and do a ride. Bring Bill M. too, I haven't seen him in a while , I'd like to ride with him again.

You too, Julio (Chris), you probably rode Freetown around the ledge, or from the ranger station. I highly recommend checking out the Copicut area. There are way less motorcycles, it is much more remote feeling and quiet. ( In fact it is very remote, bring tools and tubes, etc, you don't want to have to walk out ). There are a lot more miles than anything else around and a lot of fun, technical trails.

Here's my custom version of the official map. The official map can be found at the ranger station and the main copicut woods parking lot (sometimes, when they aren't out of maps). My version has some extra landmarks and some trails that aren't on the original. I've also removed some trails that no longer exist.

I've circled the trails that have been cleared with pink. We'll be continuing to open up more trails, but these are good for now, the ones we haven't worked on are likely to be overgrown and blocked by blowdowns.

Copicut Trails temp
    Last edited by icecreamjay; 12-15-2012 at 10:38 AM.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, not all the signs are installed yet. The KP, MB, and CH signs are all up, and I should have HS up by the New Year, but the BR signs probably won't be up until January.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, Weetamoo. Have you guys ridden the really technical trail just north of Lafayette road? I think the best way is to go all the way to the eastern end of Lafayette and then take the moto trail north. When you get to the pond in the backyard, take a left on the road that goes by the pond. Follow it until you get to the clearing with the fire pit. There is a trail that starts there going south. You have to go over the rock to the south to really see the trail. That trail heads all the way back to Lafayette road. It pops you out almost right across from the trail marked "spur" on the map. It's a very technical trail with quick ups and downs and some nice exposed granite ledges. You guys have probably ridden it, but figured I'd mention just in case you haven't found it, it is a bit tricky to find.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

swb employee
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    Oh yeah, Weetamoo. Have you guys ridden the really technical trail just north of Lafayette road? I think the best way is to go all the way to the eastern end of Lafayette and then take the moto trail north. When you get to the pond in the backyard, take a left on the road that goes by the pond. Follow it until you get to the clearing with the fire pit. There is a trail that starts there going south. You have to go over the rock to the south to really see the trail. That trail heads all the way back to Lafayette road. It pops you out almost right across from the trail marked "spur" on the map. It's a very technical trail with quick ups and downs and some nice exposed granite ledges. You guys have probably ridden it, but figured I'd mention just in case you haven't found it, it is a bit tricky to find.
    i have that area as part of my loop. at a race pace its about a 45min. loop. and ive been doing a little trail work to it too..me and a buddy have that place pretty dialed as far as peicing together something sweet to ride. i start at lake and work the trails counterclockwise... the only down fall is there is an area where i get out of the woods for a sec and go onto a road.. lots of climbing and tech work. also a few good rock crawling sections. ive been making it a point to go on sunday mornings around 9 from lake st. if you ever wanted to check out what i have going on...?

swb employee
    Dec 2011
    Hey Kevin,

I was in Westport cycles a month or so and talked to you for about 10 minutes. I'm the guy who's heading the cleanup in the Bioreserve/Freetown SF. We've got a good chunk of trails cleared and signed. There is a kickass map with marked intersections. I've been calling this section of the bioreserve the Copicut Trails.

I've been doing a 15-16 mile loop that starts at the Miller Brook parking lot. It's less than 10 minutes away from your shop. 90% singletrack, and its all on trails not open to motos. I'll try to swing by and drop off some maps, but we should try to get out and do a ride. Bring Bill M. too, I haven't seen him in a while , I'd like to ride with him again.

You too, Julio (Chris), you probably rode Freetown around the ledge, or from the ranger station. I highly recommend checking out the Copicut area. There are way less motorcycles, it is much more remote feeling and quiet. ( In fact it is very remote, bring tools and tubes, etc, you don't want to have to walk out ). There are a lot more miles than anything else around and a lot of fun, technical trails.

Here's my custom version of the official map. The official map can be found at the ranger station and the main copicut woods parking lot (sometimes, when they aren't out of maps). My version has some extra landmarks and some trails that aren't on the original. I've also removed some trails that no longer exist.

I've circled the trails that have been cleared with pink. We'll be continuing to open up more trails, but these are good for now, the ones we haven't worked on are likely to be overgrown and blocked by blowdowns.

Copicut Trails temp

sorry i didnt respond to this sooner... but ya i do remember you... ive had a couple people tell me about that place being done well.. keep up the good work! im more over at weetamoo than anywhere else lately. mostly because its untouched. not a fan of places like swansea for the reason of over grooming. rough around the edges to me weeds out the road rider! haha keeps it more underground and fun. seems like kinda what people are saying about what you have going on in freetown. the die hards love it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinrod1983 View Post
    sorry i didnt respond to this sooner... but ya i do remember you... ive had a couple people tell me about that place being done well.. keep up the good work! im more over at weetamoo than anywhere else lately. mostly because its untouched. not a fan of places like swansea for the reason of over grooming. rough around the edges to me weeds out the road rider! haha keeps it more underground and fun. seems like kinda what people are saying about what you have going on in freetown. the die hards love it.
    Nice that you've heard about it. I've seen tracks out there so there are at least a few people riding it. There is still a lot of pruning to be done, I've leaf blown a few trails, and there are more I want to get done. Don't worry about it becoming over maintained though, the leaf blower is more to remove the last 5 years worth of twigs, leaves and pine needles. It hasn't been ridden enough lately for that stuff to get ridden off the trail. It's still plenty rough around the edges. I plan on trying to plan some group rides soon, I'll post up here when I do.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

swb employee
    Dec 2011
    Nice that you've heard about it. I've seen tracks out there so there are at least a few people riding it. There is still a lot of pruning to be done, I've leaf blown a few trails, and there are more I want to get done. Don't worry about it becoming over maintained though, the leaf blower is more to remove the last 5 years worth of twigs, leaves and pine needles. It hasn't been ridden enough lately for that stuff to get ridden off the trail. It's still plenty rough around the edges. I plan on trying to plan some group rides soon, I'll post up here when I do.
    i seen the missing leaves! i did a little out there too. not much time for it because of being at work for 10 and all... but ive been laying down logs where the water pools and scouting new trail routes. over this winter im going to cut in new ones out there to tie in with whats tehnical like that new trail and the pgp area. i want to minimize fireroad on the loop. i would think out the people involved in that group ride. not the greatest place for "the roadie type" and there the ones that go there and "simplify" everything to there skill level. and then we have another swansea on our hands... i think its the fact that its untouched by mountain bikers. not many people know about weeetamoo is what i like about it...

swb employee
    Dec 2011
    Has anyone been out there building lines? I seen out on that new trail a second line that leads to a rock for a drop. Looks sick, I missed it when I first seen it

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    yeah, i've been building. i broke the handle on my mccleod tool, but should be back there soon. might build a transition off the back of that rock but that would be a lot of material to move... maybe a west coast style banked log bridge? i know a few guys have dropped it so far...

swb employee
    Dec 2011
    Looks like a good time when its done! It works great having the fast line and the fun line side by side like that. Keeps everyone happy you know?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey new to riding and the area just moved into Fall River and went to Freetown for a hike bought a Haro sport 29r 5 minutes after leaving the woods you guys meet up at all. I like to get lost in the woods but I think I could get really lost out there and just looking for some people to ride with. I'm free the 23rd or 24th of this month if anyone is interested or already planning a ride let me know!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Weetamoo is a great place to ride. Has a little of everything. A new section (1 year or so) adds a couple of miles. If you ride Weetamoo and the adjacent Pardon Grey Reserve and cover all trails, you can ride for a coupe of hours and cover about 10 mile so. I live less than 5 minutes away and am there about 4 times a week. Night riding recently which has been a blast. Weetamoo doesn;t get a ton of bike traffic but lots of hikers and dogs so be aware. Love ot that it is a bit of a secret which I may have just ruined.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Sounds awesome I would love to go night riding but probably need a headlight first I sent you a friend request maybe we can hit the trails sometime!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm new to the area too and free those days as well. That is if you don't mind me tagging along.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, if you're looking to do some riding in Freetown, myself and and a few other guys have been clearing the trails in the southern part of the forest, north of Copicut woods. Check out the Bioreserve thread in the MA forums for maps and stuff. I'll probably try to do some group rides out there soon, watch that thread for upcoming info.

SE Mass Bioreserve / Freetown SF

You can get the paper map at the Copicut Woods parking kiosk. Most of the trail markers in the southern part of the forest are up, so self-navigation is doable. Here's a link to Copicut Woods official site. From Copicut Woods you can ride north into Freetown SF.

Copicut Woods | Bioreserve | Fall River, MA | The Trustees of Reservations

Since this is the Weetamoo thread, anyone been out there recently, I know Destruction brook got trashed with downed pines during the blizzard, I'm wondering how Weetamoo fared.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Weetamoo isn't too bad... i've been clearing the small stuff, but maybe somebody could get in there with a chainsaw? I know Lafayette road has some big trees across it.

On a side note... i lost a tool... a Woodmans Pal to be exact, on the north side of Lafayette. PLEASE shoot me a message if you find it; it was my anniversary present!

Also, been building a new trail off of the other 'new' trail... ya can't miss it! it's a ONE way trail right now...there's some steeps and drop offs that i havent cut a bypass around yet. It took me seventeen circuits before i cleared the whole thing without falling...lemme know whatcha think after ya ride it

mtbr member
    I'll have to take a trip out over there sometime, I've got a saw.
    Last edited by icecreamjay; 04-15-2013 at 07:20 PM.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    thanks jay.... i've always loved the rocks in that area too; i grew up across the street from weetamoo and have been riding there a long time. been inspired by some of the local trail building efforts from Acadia to Trail of Tears and decided to do my part.

just cleared the path to Wildcat rock on the south side of Lafayette today; raked and pruned the trail all the way to the top....and started a trail down the back side. what a mess! it could use a chain saw too. when it's done it's gonna be gnarly! im gonna turn the trail into a loop and take it over the rocks to the northeast.

when i was a kid, 20+ years ago the top was all majestic white pine, cedar and hemlock... most of it is dead and blown down now. my cousin and i used to ride our bikes down from the top!

hope to get close to finishing before the bugs get bad.please do check it out!

mtbr member
    Awesome, I'm going to head out there this afternoon. I'll bring my saw and try to cut what I find. I'm gonna park at Parson's preserve and head out on Lafayette trail.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    I rode that trail yesterday. I like it a lot. Very technical, good use of the terrain.

I cut a few of the trees on Lafayette rd and then went out to Wildcat rock. I cut the stuff leading up to the rock, but I didn't cut the trees that are down on the rock itself. I didn't ride east of there on Lafayette, are there any other trees down east of Wildcat rock?

I cut the big tree that was across Lafayette rd where its swamped out. That one was a b!tch. Had to stand in the water on slippery rocks while cutting a huge oak. I didn't have a wedge with me and was afraid of pinching my bar in there. As it was I had to cut it into 4 different hunks to get it to drop. It kept wedging itself in and I couldn't move it. Anyways, I left it where it dropped, maybe we can meet up some time and turn that log into a bridge to replace that crappy ladder thing that the log landed on.

Good work out there, let me know if there are any other trees that need the saw. I ran into one on the old "new" trail. Unfortunately my saw was in the truck at that point.
    Last edited by icecreamjay; 04-15-2013 at 07:21 PM.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

Just a flesh wound
    Going to be in Westport MA this weekend. Anyone looking to ride?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast