mtbr member

Waldo trail in Southbury

Wow, real nice work Paula & friends! Well laid out I can make all the hills! Found some new stuff, really need a tour or good loop directional map to get the most out of. This is a very flowing trail, not typical of other walking trails modified for bike use. Again, good work, I will be riding more often.
    "Hillbilly in a corporate world"

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Is this the new trail?

The old trail system was WWaldo,Daffy/Hunter and the one across the dual track at the end of WWaldo called Extra Credit.

mtbr member
    Basically the whole red trail is flowy, I was thinking about the section that splits left before powerlines, looks like some new stuff in there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Sounds like the original trail used...Hunter...if you go down that and before it hits the fire road take a right onto Daffy Duck....that brings you back to WWaldo.

I heard they are adding in another trail but doubt that's open yet. And I'm hoping its on the other side of the fire road off the trail Extra Credit....it needs a trail there back to the parking lot so you don't have to reride WWaldo but don't think that can happen as the private property comes very close to that fire road. I know several guys who ride there a lot and help out...need to call one of them tomorrow.

Delirious Tuck
    Paula has about 4-6 miles or something approved for new build.

We'll be bringing the FCNEMBA Trailer up there first Saturday in November to knock out a bit of the work and add some other goodies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar View Post
    Paula has about 4-6 miles or something approved for new build.

We'll be bringing the FCNEMBA Trailer up there first Saturday in November to knock out a bit of the work and add some other goodies.
    Count me in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Heard she has a lot of it marked out but nothing will be started till Nov? Yeow...4-6 miles?? Where? The loops in there now come out to about 3 miles without reriding any of it and that's from one end of the park to the other. But that would be awesome.

Also there was some kids loop.

Been a while since I've been down there. Twice I had to park elsewhere(parking is very limited at times which is a pain ) and the trooper one time told me I cant park on the other side of road. Need to get back down there this year for sure.

mtbr member
    Just Rode it again today with my mini DH bike, rolls through everything just about! Would really like to find an online map, no luck since CF seems gone, any ideas out there? Trails are in top notch shape, beg to int friendly too I might add.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    They have a FB page for it (pretty soon they'll have one for every trail in a park) and I think they have a trail map there. Think it was George C Waldo Friends on FB. Heard they might even make the parking lot bigger. Did they open the new trail I was told was going in?

mtbr member
    I did see flags at bottom of dirt road where trail meets up, I guess the beginning of extra credit? I was riding Waldo trail back from lake, and took the downhill left that put me over the small bridge back onto dirt road, and a trail connects opposite of that, maybe that is the new trail? had to go couldnt follow it thru.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Been a while for me down there. But where the "Wheres Waldo" exits onto the dual track down at the lake...go straight across and Extra Credit is there. They were planning to extend that and I think tie it back into to Daffy. Not sure. But I heard 4 miles of new trail....which is a ALOT as the whole WWaldo trail is only like 2.2 miles so not sure where that 4 miles is going if its all new trail. Sounds like a real nice trail though. Plus my buddy said there is some beginners loop. I need to get back down there soon...just have to watch hunting starts and they do allow bow hunting in there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The DEP built a parking lot about 200 feet in. with plenty of parking and the trails are better than ever and growing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My buddy who used to bike there all the time, she said its growing to much and there was some "throw down" that happened a few weeks back...not sure between who or what happened but it was over the trails and bikers.

I know a guy who fishes/hunts there a lot and he said a lot of the locals that use it are not pleased with what the DEEP allowed in there without public input. Wait till the new longer trails get more use...that parking lot will be like the one in Nassy....loaded with cars and the same issue will come up again as before...LOL.

I went there once like 2 years ago and this one big pia was there...man he went at it with us good....but my fav deal was when I crossed up with him on the main trail....he stops me telling me to get the hell off the hiking trail. I told him...."this was made by the bikers....enjoy your hike". He tore into me good verbally and his wife joined him. Could hardly understand him but he was looking for a possible physical deal which I wasn't going for...that's exactly what he wanted. Its going to get interesting with more and more trails being built...the hiking group I belong to are keeping a very close eye on this stuff (in other parks) via the FB pages. Good thing they don't know I bike too....LOL.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Faus View Post
    My buddy who used to bike there all the time, she said its growing to much and there was some "throw down" that happened a few weeks back...not sure between who or what happened but it was over the trails and bikers.

I know a guy who fishes/hunts there a lot and he said a lot of the locals that use it are not pleased with what the DEEP allowed in there without public input. Wait till the new longer trails get more use...that parking lot will be like the one in Nassy....loaded with cars and the same issue will come up again as before...LOL.

I went there once like 2 years ago and this one big pia was there...man he went at it with us good....but my fav deal was when I crossed up with him on the main trail....he stops me telling me to get the hell off the hiking trail. I told him...."this was made by the bikers....enjoy your hike". He tore into me good verbally and his wife joined him. Could hardly understand him but he was looking for a possible physical deal which I wasn't going for...that's exactly what he wanted. Its going to get interesting with more and more trails being built...the hiking group I belong to are keeping a very close eye on this stuff (in other parks) via the FB pages. Good thing they don't know I bike too....LOL.
    And your point is ?
    A throw down can happen any where.
    i live in southbury, there are a lot better places to hunt and fish than Waldo.
    technically there is no bike riding on any blue trail in Ct. most people just don`t say anything.
    Again if i was in a hiking club i would not be hiking at waldo, it wont take long.
    you know how much work went into building those trails? then you complain. you should go some where else to ride then, you sound like a hypocrite anyway being a hiker and a biker . if you treated the guy with respect instead of telling him the bikers made the trail maybe he would not have said anything.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    And your point is what??

>>there are a lot better places to hunt and fish than Waldo.<<

Yea...big deal YOU think that....BUT...people DO hunt there....and one DID complain about someone was in there with a leaf blower. See how issues happen? And people DO use the main road to get down there to fish and picnic...and *****ed that there was not enough parking. Hopefully the new lot takes care of that but one gal rider I know who does bike there a lot worried the longer new trails might bring in more bikers...and hence less parking again. Still with me here? Who's complaining? You know the difference between a concern and complaining?

>>if you treated the guy with respect instead <<

Stop posting about what you have no clue about. I stopped to let them by. You follow those trail rules?

As they came up on me I said...with a SMILE on my face...."good morning....nice day for a hike". That was AFTER I witnessed him going at with the guys at the entrance over how they parked their cars.

The guy got about 6" from my face saying...GET OFF OF THESE TRAILS! THEY ARE FOR WALKERS ONLY!! I backed away and and said pretty sure the DEEP allowed the bikers to make them. His wife said..."yes without asking anyone who lives here if we liked the idea". I then just rode off saying have a good hike.

So get your facts straight.

>>you know how much work went into building those trails?<<

Yes...I've helped via IMBA/NEMBA over the past 7 years build ALOT of trials.

>>>you sound like a hypocrite anyway being a hiker and a biker <<

You're clueless....ALOT of us do both. One of the reasons things are different today than 20 years ago is from that very reason. I've helped a lot with our group to calm down some of their fears with bikers though not all of them know I am a mtb'er too. And I got a few to try biking and now they do it more than hiking. Some of my biking buddies who can no longer bike because of medical issues now hike with us. One of those guys helped make part of the Waldo trails you ride on now. Also....I forgot her name...but the great trail builder who made all of Waldo...she was a hiker before and made hiking trails from what I was told.

Over and out.
    Last edited by Little Faus; 11-22-2013 at 08:26 AM.