Delirious Tuck

Idea! Trumbull Trail Building this Saturday (6/21 @8:45am)

If you're not headed to NEMBAfest this weekend, we could use a hand at Trumbull.

Where: Daniels Farm Commuter Lot off of of Park St in Trumbull, CT
    When: Saturday, June 21, 2014 at 8:45am
    What: Rock work, armoring, and cribbing to eliminate constant wet spots
    What to bring: Gloves, sturdy shoes, water, and bug spray.

We'll have coffee and food afterwards. Please reply to let us know if you're coming so we can sort out food.

Ride after.

Happy Trails.

~FC NEMBA
    Last edited by thefriar; 06-19-2014 at 03:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar View Post
    If you're not headed to NEMBAfest this weekend, we could use a hand at Trumbull.

Where: Daniels Farm Commuter Lot off of of Park St in Trumbull, CT
    When: Saturday, June 21, 2014 at 8:45am
    What: Rock work, armoring, and cribbing to eliminate constant wet spots
    What to bring: Gloves, sturdy shoes, water, and bug spray.

We'll have coffee and food afterwards. Please reply to let us know if you're coming so we can sort out food.

Ride after.

Happy Trails.

~FC NEMBA
    GOD I WISH I SAW THIS EARLIER!!!!! I was up at that trail right off the end of Daniel's farm. I would have loved to give you a hand. If you still need help next weekend let me know.

Delirious Tuck
    Hopefully what we got done is a nice improvement to riding in the muck up or down.

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hopefully what we got done is a nice improvement to riding in the muck up or down.

NO it is not an improvement. You armoured the red trail that is a descent in that area. It was a small wet spot. NOT only a descent but a fast one!! I came flying down through there like people normally do and found where you armoured and punctured my front tire. Seriously why would you armour that area????? If you want to make things technical and slow stay at wilton woods. Don't destroy the few fast flow trails that trumbull has with HUGE rocks in the middle of a fast descent. Not only is that dumb but dangerous. Armour and crib other places low in the valley of trumbull with standing water. I thought NEMBA was staying out of trumbull anyhow????

Delirious Tuck

Trumbull Trail Building this Saturday (6/21 @8:45am)

Sack up. No one else has had any issues.

That project was put together by riders that are locals, ridden there for 20+ years, and supported by NEMBA. Have a problem with it? Show up or put up on trail days.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Sack up. No one else has had any issues.

That project was put together by riders that are locals, ridden there for 20+ years, and supported by NEMBA. Have a problem with it? Show up or put up on trail days.
    Listen I know you sacrificed time and did some hard work but really you serious telling me to sack up. You don't know me or my riding style. Why don't you come out and do an enduro or downhill race. What do you roll over it at 5mph???? Try hitting it at 30mph with no warning that was put in there. You don't put coffin size rocks with square edges in a descent!! It's dangerous. I have raced at plattekill (which is all natural gnarley rocky terrain) they don't even have crap like that in there trails. The pattern you put it in has square edges. First of all I believe I had a race that day or I would have showed up. Second of all NEMBA hasn't done anything for trumbull in years!! I have cut up numerous down trees and cleared paths in there on my own. Also I talked to one of the locals you speak of that helped you that day. Reached out to him on strava he said was NEMBA's idea for that and "it came out horrible was super rough and was gay" direct quote. And yes he was there saw a pic of you guys on facebook. Yeah its fine if you roll over it at 5mph but not at any decent speed. Also how do you know no one else has had any issues with it????? Not everyone is on mtb forums or belongs to NEMBA. Seriously should have left it alone what was the issue a little puddling from time to time??? Was not even getting eroded in that spot. Keep the trails natural my friend maybe you should read the ASS article that was just published!! I am all for rock gardens but not poorly man made ones.

Delirious Tuck

Re: Trumbull Trail Building this Saturday (6/21 @8:45am)

That's a cute quote. Surprising. Have him talk to the guys that planned it, I am happy to arrange a face to face to chat about it as they are the ones that planned it. Pm me if you want me to put something together and then we can go ride.

And yes NEMBA has done work there. We just don't do big reroutes or build new trail, it's all trail maintenance. The same people doing that work are the ones that have done more than you could imagine there, and have been for decades. Do you like berms?

The section in question: It is rock armor in a section that was wet year round and fall line into a section that HAS been eroding a sh(t ton over the years. ASS who's point is some trails do last with out tm. Good examples of this around here are all over at Huntington, Trumbull, TV, and else where. But some trail do erode and blow out and that is what was happening down trail, I ride up and down that line, I won't change that gnarly up, not the sissy path of the left up, but the face. If we changed that I'd get your butt ache, but a section of rock armor the will get water off the trail and not make it so someday we do have to do a big reroute?

As far as eriding goes... On the down, it's a hard line? I have no issues on a HT SS with the line that's there. Maybe that's not fair because I am not on strava and don't race so have no idea where I stack up, but I know I don't stack to the same level as the dudes who planned the work in that section. Maybe I'd be faster down, but I wouldn't hit the same lines. They know all the lines in Trumbull and while I haven't been back to try it, that line IS gapable.

Check the Knolly forum action thread and we can lay down eriding skills of myself and the dudes who lead at Trumbull if you really want.

Delirious Tuck

Re: Trumbull Trail Building this Saturday (6/21 @8:45am)

Quote Originally Posted by shredmx View Post
    ... out to him on strava he said was NEMBA's idea for that and "it came out horrible was super rough and was gay" direct quote.
    A friendly note: don't use that kind of language on the webs, it's not cool in any discussion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just using a direct quote that's all from his words. BTW that is not a hard down line. You used to be able to leap with decent speed off the top of that rock down into a rockgarden before the stream right after the spot you put the rocks in. Yes I know who they are and I know they have built a berm. I don't know how often YOU go there but I am there almost every other day. Heard back from him again this am and said the rain washed out the dirt and small rocks between the large rocks. Obviously there is an issue there. I offered my help to him to go back shovel more dirt in. Just shoveling dirt and small rocks is just going to wash out between the cracks so not sure that is the solution. You don't get a large puncture in the casing (not the sidewall) of a 3 week old dhf minion front tire if there isn't a sharp edge in there somewhere amongst your armouring. How can you say it is good if you haven't even been back to try it???? My suggestion is go back and try it out at a decent speed on an FS all mountain trail bike not a SS hardtail or a DH bike.

Delirious Tuck
    Haven't tried to gap the whole thing. Yet.

Its a fact, I don't ride Trums on the regular. That's why the regular Trums folk own things, work with the City/State, and do awesome-sauce work. NEMBA has their back with the land managers/owners and other user groups/environmentalists, it keeps things good. They know what they're doing, been to trail school, plan the projects, then a couple core NEMBA builders show up with tools and then those builders take direction from the Locals. Locals then maintain what was done, if its not working, we'll all talk about other options.

Pretty simple and makes sense? It ensures locals that know the land, have and will be there caring for the place for decades, and have ownership are in the driver seat, not some dude who rides a different place every ride and spends his weekends on a DH bike. Outside of TBV (uber-tech), Wilton (tech/play), and Mianus (flow), that's generally the set up. Local owned and operated.

I have more work hours at Trumbull than riding the past 2 years, and most all of it is taking direction from folks I trust.

My HT SS is set up All Mountain too, so not sure why I'd need FS.

I would check tire pressure on a serious note unless you're on a minion supertacky or non-EXO , they're just soft and flimsy and tear up like Rick James around blow.

Whenever I'd take waterboy->victory too fast and rear end heavy, I'd find out quick if I had too low PSI. I still morn that trail closure every time I ride that side of Mt Creek, but the lessons learned taught me very well to pre-load the front into the rock garden to lighten and pop the front so its possible to float the rear over with a manual to keep max speed for the drop into the victory chute. [Also a gappable line, but the speed into it, both from out of water boy into the slope and then the hip over the rock/root water fall into the roller, need mach stoopid speeds and ability the table/scrub the bike in amazingly delicate lines even if you're just rolling through like a dump truck.]

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    if you want to really help w/ Trumbull and not just complain online contact me .
    The red trail is for riding both ways as are all the trails in there!!!!
    as for saying the line is gay and someone said that ...i am calling bull sh!t on you
    all the the guys and girls that helped out are all locals that can really ride and have been doing so for a long time dh freeride xc ect......
    and you never talked to me about it or any others as they would have told me
    and if you can ride and like platty you should have no issue riding Trumbull
    thanks

Brian
    Town of Trumbull / NEMBA trail representative

203-258-8801
    Last edited by kawin20; 07-15-2014 at 05:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    just curious how you do racing DH?
    if these 2" bumps have you panties in a knot?

mtbr member
    I keep sayin it, but I gotta do a sun morn ride with ya'all soon, I work at noon sundays. looks like you'd have no problem launching over it red!
    "Hillbilly in a corporate world"