mtbr member
    May 2010

Traveling to CT, Looking for a mt bike ride near Wethersfield

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a good mountain bike trail to try out? We are coming to visit family and have one afternoon to ride (8/19/12). We're looking for something within an hour drive from Wethersfield.

Hopefully something that's pretty easy to find our way around without getting lost, or a spot that's heavily ridden so we're not all alone, miles from the car, with no idea where we are.

My husband and I are from NJ and are used to less rocks than you guys. We're definitely not afraid of some rocks, but we're not looking for your most technical trails. One foot drops are fine, we like climbing, and we don't want smooth easy stuff. We can get that at home!

Any ideas?

I was looking at Meshomasic, Black Ledge Falls, Branford Supply Pond, and Brooksvale Park based on driving distances but have no idea if we could find our way around these places.
    Angie
    Check out my website!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You can pretty much get to any where in CT from wheathersfield in about an hour, you have tons of options! Most riding stops in CT are not that we'll marked and can be confusing. I would recommend picking a couple of places and then posting to try to find someone to give you a guided tour. I would post over on the forum on Bikerag.com as its a local CT forum and you may have better luck finding s guide.

As for ride suggestions:
    Case Mt, Manchester CT
    Greyville State Forrest
    Nathan Hale Homestead, Coventry CT

And if you want to experience some CT technical riding it doesn't get better than Millers Pond in Durahm CT.

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    I second Case Mt. Cockaponsett is a good option too. Tons of trails. Check out ctnemba.com Lots of good info over there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Nassahegan State Forest is also a good option. VERY big place with loads of trails, will defiantly need a guide. If your willing to drive about an hour north on 91 there's some really sweet riding in the Holyoke Range State Forest in Granby / Amherst MA. The two trail systems there are called Batchelor Street (rocky and technical) and Earls Trails (buff, flowy with lots of climbing).

mtbr member
    May 2010
    We think we'll go to Case Mountain. I hear you can get maps in the parkinglot and it's marked well. There's also a Specialized dealer (LBS) nearby. I am trying to get onto the bikerag and meetup.com forums but had to contact the administrator to get access. I'm waiting, so thought I'd post an invite on this thread. My husband and I will be there Sunday Aug 19. Anyone want to meet us and show us around, as it's more fun to mt bike with people who know the best trails/best directions to do them in.

As for our ability levels, he races Men's Cat 2 (40-45) and I race Women's Cat 1 (35-39). We're looking for a intermediate pace ride for about 2-3 hours, starting in the late morning. Anyone interested?
    Angie
    Check out my website!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by godsang View Post
    We think we'll go to Case Mountain. I hear you can get maps in the parkinglot and it's marked well. There's also a Specialized dealer (LBS) nearby. I am trying to get onto the bikerag and meetup.com forums but had to contact the administrator to get access. I'm waiting, so thought I'd post an invite on this thread. My husband and I will be there Sunday Aug 19. Anyone want to meet us and show us around, as it's more fun to mt bike with people who know the best trails/best directions to do them in.

As for our ability levels, he races Men's Cat 2 (40-45) and I race Women's Cat 1 (35-39). We're looking for a intermediate pace ride for about 2-3 hours, starting in the late morning. Anyone interested?
    Stick with the crew over at BikeRag.com and stay away from the local meetup groups, they have been a pain in the ass causing problems at several local riding spots. I would give you guys a tour over at Case, but I am not sure you would enjoy it. I am the complete opposite of an XC racer (very slow climber). There are a bunch of very strong riders that hang out on BikeRag that ride Case and other local spots frequently.

There are ocationally maps in the Line St parking area at Case, but its not very frequent and its not a complete map so dont count on any being there. There is a more detailed map of Case on BikeRag.com. Of shot me a PM with your email addy and I can email you a copy. I have one in a folder on my computer desktop.

I would also consider checking out Nathan Hale Homestead instead of Case, better riding there IMO.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    ya, I'd hit bikerag over Meetup personally also... though I do know a few that do the meetup group and are good people there are many that seem to not care about the trails so much...

also try CTMENBA.com and look at the map, also look at the trail reports off CTNEMBA for trail conditions or the facebook page

Trail location Map
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...550fbf39&msa=0

Facebook...
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/ctnemba/
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/