mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Trails near Waterford CT

Hi all! I will be taking a trip probably around mid april to my wife's grandmothers in Waterford. I was wondering what kind (if any) of beginner/intermideate trails are in about a 30 min drive of that area. Riding solo I don't want to try and tackle anything to crazy. If there are any options of shops where a bike could possibly be rented that would be awesome just in case I run out of space having to travel with a toddler and a newborn plus all their stuff.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    You're in luck. There's some fine beginner/intermediate riding (and nice views of Long Island Sound) at Bluff Point State Park in Groton, just a couple of exits down I95 east of Waterford. There's a map of the trail system at Bluff in another recent post in this forum. I also understand that there's decent riding in Rocky Neck State Park, a few miles west of Waterford. Can't help with bike rentals, there aren't many shops around here that have mountain bike rentals, but maybe someone else knows of one.

Here from Niantic,CT
    Jan 2008
    You also have Oswegatchie Hills area in Niantic, its kind of techy but not unrideable. There is also Hartmans Park, in Old Lyme, which is about 20 minutes from Waterford. I gues it really depends on how long you want to go out for. Bluff will certainly have the most options as far as terrain. You could try and Contact Kim or Steve at Niantic Bay Bicycles and see if they rent 860-691-0757. Also Mystic Cycle Center in Mystic 860-572-7433.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Post up again before you're ready to ride, you may be able to round up some ride guides from this forum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for the replies, trip is going to be the first week in april now and I have all plans on strapping the bike on the car. I will post up again when it gets closer as suggested to see if there is someone willing to show me around some.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    ya, post up.. I'f I'm not busy I can give you a tour around any of the trail systems mentioned.

If you are riding solo and as you stated you want beginner to intermit then I'd say Rocky Neck.. and it's the closest/easiest t get to from waterford with a close 2nd being Bluff Point.
    Bluff is nie if you just want to do miles too as you can ride a mix of the Fire roads and single track, cross over to Haley farm and more miles with again, a mix of Fire roads and some single track.
    All three areas have lots of scenic stuff too. Rocky neck is cool if got family, they can hang at the beach while you ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Groton Area Rides

Fellow CT MTBRs ,

I've recently moved to Groton from San Diego, also looking to join up on any weekday XC rides for training this year; hit me up as well if you are here in April.

I've recently made it out to Bluff Point and Oswegatchie, both great places to ride; very few hikers on the trails at both. Also looking for a few more places to ride to keep things interesting.

Anyone use "Meetup" to set up regular rides?

Anyone know if Millers Pond is still available to ride?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    Fellow CT MTBRs ,

I've recently moved to Groton from San Diego, also looking to join up on any weekday XC rides for training this year; hit me up as well if you are here in April.

I've recently made it out to Bluff Point and Oswegatchie, both great places to ride; very few hikers on the trails at both. Also looking for a few more places to ride to keep things interesting.

Anyone use "Meetup" to set up regular rides?

Anyone know if Millers Pond is still available to ride?
    there are some Meetup groups, though you are probably better off searching Crankfire.com, Bikerag.com or searching CTNEMBA for rides.

Yes. Millers Pond is a trail to ride, but be careful, there are like 3 Millers' Ponds in CT and only one that actually has bike trails

Bluff Point is cool and to add a bit of miles and some changes you can book across the tracks to Haley Farm.

Other close-ish trails are Rocky Neck and Hartman park. If you really want miles Hartman Park is nice as it's wrapped around but Nehantic State forest which has some areas to ride though not the most "groomed" trails. the Fire Roads can be a bit of a challenge
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just a quick update. We expect to be up in CT on Sat the 31st. I am hoping to convince the wife to let me ride on Sunday but it will probably be Monday before I break free. I am thinking I will try Rocky Neck first since I can bring the family along and they can play while I work on getting myself lost in the woods. If anyone is still intrested in guiding a newbie along on Monday @ Rocky or possibly Sunday afternoon at Bluff Point let me know.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by delvermedic View Post
    Just a quick update. We expect to be up in CT on Sat the 31st. I am hoping to convince the wife to let me ride on Sunday but it will probably be Monday before I break free. I am thinking I will try Rocky Neck first since I can bring the family along and they can play while I work on getting myself lost in the woods. If anyone is still intrested in guiding a newbie along on Monday @ Rocky or possibly Sunday afternoon at Bluff Point let me know.
    I should be around the 1st or 2nd depending on job(s) going on.. post up toward to the on next week to verify.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    If you're going to be in the area later in that week, I'd be happy to hook up for a ride in the area. For example, Hartman Park in Lyme is a good place to sample rocky CT singletrack in a condensed form.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Ya,... Hartman is nice! though bring a full squish bike for your first time it's bouncy there

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I ride a 29 hardtail so that might not be the best idea. Closest thing we have to a rock garden to ride where I live in VA is a gravel parking lot so not sure I would be up for Hartman's yet. I will post up on the weekend when I have a good idea on the times i can break free. I am really looking foward to this trip between the weather here on my days off and recovoring from a minor knee injury I haven't hit the trails in almost 2 months so I am ready to go. Thanks again everyone!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Looking to hit rocky neck around 10 am tommorrow (monday) if anyone is still up for a ride at that time. Gonna let the family play in the park while I hit the trails.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    well I doubt i can get there tomorrow.. if no one else is going to be around I can give ya some pointers on the more fun, semi hidden sections to ride.

Got a smart phone or a reg GPS unit? lots of mapping been done for the place.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    are there any begging trails

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Little delayed getting this up but wanted to make sure I thanked everyone for the info and thank Thomllama again for taking the time out of his day to show me around Rocky Neck. Had a nice trip with a couple of real fun rides.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Little delayed getting this up but wanted to make sure I thanked everyone for the info and thank Thomllama again for taking the time out of his day to show me around Rocky Neck. Had a nice trip with a couple of real fun rides.
    glad you had fun.. come again and we'll hit Bluff Point.. It's fun too