mtbr member

Trails near Rye, NY

Did a few google searches and seems like Mianus River Park is the closest trail to Rye, NY that has beginner and intermediate trail riding.

Does Mianus have clear trail markers and is it easy to follow? Since it'll be my first time riding, I don't want to get lost? What kind of characteristics does the trail have? Rock gardens, gravel, sand, downhills, climbs, etc?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    Did a few google searches and seems like Mianus River Park is the closest trail to Rye, NY that has beginner and intermediate trail riding.

Does Mianus have clear trail markers and is it easy to follow? Since it'll be my first time riding, I don't want to get lost? What kind of characteristics does the trail have? Rock gardens, gravel, sand, downhills, climbs, etc?

MRP is great, since it's only a few minutes away from me it's usually my go to park. 99% of it is beginner friendly, but you'll find some tech stuff on the side if you know where to look. It's a small park, so even if you get lost its not that big a deal. Make sure to check out the New trail- fishermans- cabin trail loop at the back of the park if you go.
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.8m/s/s View Post
    MRP is great, since it's only a few minutes away from me it's usually my go to park. 99% of it is beginner friendly, but you'll find some tech stuff on the side if you know where to look. It's a small park, so even if you get lost its not that big a deal. Make sure to check out the New trail- fishermans- cabin trail loop at the back of the park if you go.
    Thanks for the feedback. So, I I'm coming from Rye, I assume I would park on the Greenwich side?

From a map's point of view, it looks like its a web of trails, is that right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. So, I I'm coming from Rye, I assume I would park on the Greenwich side?

From a map's point of view, it looks like its a web of trails, is that right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much. Some trails flow better on way then the other, but most are ok either way. To keep it simple, a counter clockwise loop will hit a lot of the good stuff. Once you make it to the other parking lot, and climb the short access road, make sure to climb up and hit Ridge Run- peak trail, then do New Trail-Fisherman's- Cabin, and you can end with Oak trail back to the car. Cave is about the only one you'll miss in that case. It's awesome, and worst exploring, but a bit tougher riding (and a good amount of climbing)
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Actually no, go in from the Stamford side. Technically we are not allowed to ride the Greenwich side and I have gotten a hard time twice from old ladies walking their designer doggies.